Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 81 guests

Mesan conquest by force totally unnecessary?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Mesan conquest by force totally unnecessary?
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:56 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:One of my friends thinks that the MA may have miscalculated the reaction of human nature, go figure.

He posits that the MA could ignite a galaxy-wide battle between genies and nons. From what I gather, genies aren't exactly embraced everywhere. Or rather, pockets of latent racism still exists. Well, duh.

Not sure they ignited a galaxy-wide war between genies and nons, but they did definitely ignite a war against themselves.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:56 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Annachie wrote:It's not enough to win, but to make the other side admit that they lost. That they were wrong.

Indeed, you beat me to it. Revenge is a dish best servered s[cold].

Which lines up perfectly with an entity that holds onto a grudge for centuries.

See, Wrath of Khan.

Also, Kill Bill Vol. 1.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:27 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Ditto Kill Bill.

Per your post one click upstream. Not "did" ignite, but "could" ignite.

However, thinking more about it now, igniting a war against themselves is effectively a war between genies and nons. The fact that the galaxy also, naturally, has genies in it's corner, as well, shouldn't matter, should it?

Besides, I'm looking for more defection from their side. I'm hoping one of the sons will defect. Do they have the self-destruct mechanism?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by zuluwiz   » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:49 am

zuluwiz
Commander

The attack on Mesa might not have been absolutely necessary, but the MA didn't know that at the time. Still, it was going to happen regardless because it was Something They Wanted To Do very much.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:30 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

I think what Mesa says what they want isn't what they really want. It's an excuse to be in charge.
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:45 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

If I'm understanding the MAlign's modus operandi, it is only in the near-present that their plans are near enough completion to reveal the extent of the genetic manipulations at all. Their goal has been to "perfect the human genome" at a level where no-one can compare or compete. They're operating outside of the Honorverse wide prohibition on genetic modification at a level that is likely to result in and RMN/Andermani/Beowulf led invasion fleet heading to Mesa to finally enforce bothe the Cherwell convention AND the Beowulf code. Heck, at some point prior to the series, the original Republic of Haven would have helped supply the ships.

It is only somewhere around Torch of Freedom that folks realize that corrupt Mesan based transtellars and Manpower aren't acting like corporations at all -- but like a Star nation with completely non-economic goals.

So no, they couldn't have just sent there alpha lines out as breeders and take over the universe that way. The modifications in the genome are too dang pronounced... and behaviorally likely too near the Scrags, et. al to get away with it. Thoughts?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all

Return to Honorverse