Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests

Just for fun... where's CA Fearless the third?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Just for fun... where's CA Fearless the third?
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:18 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Interesting thought.

The first thing that came to mind is a Fearless that comes full circle. This Fearless will be ridden by one of the Salamander's offspring in a battle for survival with the MA. Fearless, because the galaxy is running scared.

She'll be raped again to fit STASIS - the new, somewhat limited, Stealth Assist kit that defeats the MA's cloak of invisibilty. Sonja's at her old shenanigans again at the WDB.

Another testbed for baby Harrington.

RFC simply has to designate one of the LDs as The MA Bird of Prey. Perhaps she'll even have to decloak to fire. :D

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Simply to support my previous post and attempt to explain my insanity, because of baggage collected from other sources. Fearless 3.0 could be part of a sensor net of appropriately equipped ships.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:21 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:[2] I assume there was never a Agamemnon-class BC(P) HMS Nike because the BC(L) was already authorized before the Aggies started commissioning. And apparently later more powerful flights of the same class aren't enough to trigger the passing of the name tradition[/size]

The name reassignation does not have to be immediate. The Reliant class entered service around 1900, but BC-413 was't launched until 1904.

Short Victorious War, Ch. 3 wrote:"Oh, hell, Hamish! You're too damned easy!"

"What?" White Haven blinked in confusion, then frowned. "What d'you mean 'easy?'" he growled, and Webster shook his head and grinned.

"Put Harrington into something 'sedate'? Lord, she'dbe chewing the bulkheaders inside a week! [...] We figure she's up to snuff whatever the psycho-babblers think, so we're throwing her right back into the deep end."

"Deep end?"

"Indeed. We gave her Nike last week."

"Nike?" White Haven sat bolt upright, jaw dropping, then recovered and glared at his friend. "You bastard! Why didn t you just tell me?!"

"I told you you're too easy." Webster chuckled [...]
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:33 pm

TFLYTSNBN

The name HMs Fearless was assigned to a BC(P)!
Post by SharkHunter   » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:05 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--big snips with lots of mid-post agreement--
ThinksMarkedly wrote:Hmmm, HMS Arngrim didn't even get shot (the SLN missiles went for the Lorelei decoys). Can a ship that came out of the battle unscathed be added to the Honour List?

First, Arngrim did come under a very poor attack, because they outsmarted the remaining SLN officer in command and his tactical section. So they were definitely at risk. But I'm thinking more about what Honor says to Argrim's commander -- Here you have ONE Roland with only enough firepower to take out maybe 3 more battlecruisers. Yet "wins the day" and causes a superior force to retreat, the same way Honor's use of the Grayson Battlecruisers to briefly spook Theisman into not continuing the battle at the end of Flag in Exile. For which Honor effectively gets "another Star of Grayson" in the form of the added swords.

She and her crew were ready to fight until they had no missiles left-- but won the "Clausewitz battle of wills" without taking any hits. Saving millions of civilian lives in the process. That's list-worthy. The destroyed ships? somehow there ought to be a group PMV, no? My guess is that in this fictional universe, Koteauc would probably be given the award in his shipmate's behalf once he is far enough into regen to accept it, similar to Terekhov's award earlier in the series.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by SharkHunter   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:12 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--snipping--
Robert_A_Woodward wrote:Why would there be another "Fearless"? She was heavily damaged at the end of _Honor of the Queen_, but not so much that she couldn't be repaired. She could have easily survived the entire First Haven war. Note that a lot of ships, probably cruiser types, were assigned to Silesia at the start of the Second Haven war.

Actually, we don't know the ship's fate after the battle, other than the fact that she was hyper capable enough to transport Yu home while Hamish' battlecruiser squadron's minded the store (and conquered Endicott). I think what I mildly object to is that CA-286 sort of disappears from RFC's attention in all of the future books -- and it would have taken -- at most, a page to give the ship an update, sendoff, or whatever. Heck, maybe they gave it to Grayson, restored to full Star Knight capabilities. The GSN could make it the only RMN ship that is part of the Protector's Own -- to honor all the RMN crewmen an women who lost their life during 2nd Yeltsin.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Theemile   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:54 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:--snipping--
Robert_A_Woodward wrote:Why would there be another "Fearless"? She was heavily damaged at the end of _Honor of the Queen_, but not so much that she couldn't be repaired. She could have easily survived the entire First Haven war. Note that a lot of ships, probably cruiser types, were assigned to Silesia at the start of the Second Haven war.

Actually, we don't know the ship's fate after the battle, other than the fact that she was hyper capable enough to transport Yu home while Hamish' battlecruiser squadron's minded the store (and conquered Endicott). I think what I mildly object to is that CA-286 sort of disappears from RFC's attention in all of the future books -- and it would have taken -- at most, a page to give the ship an update, sendoff, or whatever. Heck, maybe they gave it to Grayson, restored to full Star Knight capabilities. The GSN could make it the only RMN ship that is part of the Protector's Own -- to honor all the RMN crewmen an women who lost their life during 2nd Yeltsin.

I don't have my notes in front of me, but Grayson did buy iirc 5 new build StarKnihts, called the Alliance Class in the GSN. They are imbedded with Alvarez class CA squadrons, but are not preferred, due to their older weapons fit.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:23 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:Actually, we don't know the ship's fate after the battle, other than the fact that she was hyper capable enough to transport Yu home while Hamish' battlecruiser squadron's minded the store (and conquered Endicott). I think what I mildly object to is that CA-286 sort of disappears from RFC's attention in all of the future books -- and it would have taken -- at most, a page to give the ship an update, sendoff, or whatever. Heck, maybe they gave it to Grayson, restored to full Star Knight capabilities. The GSN could make it the only RMN ship that is part of the Protector's Own -- to honor all the RMN crewmen an women who lost their life during 2nd Yeltsin.

I'd imagine the Graysons would buy her and make her a museum ship, like HMS Unconquered is for the RMN. Traditions have to start somewhere, after all.

Much to Honor's displeasure. The various branches of the GSN, the Church and the government can send her running around again for the fun of it, like they did with the statue and the Honor Harrington class naming.

Can someone slip High Admiral Yanakov a note, please?
Post by SharkHunter   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:06 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:Actually, we don't know the ship's fate after the battle, other than the fact that she was hyper capable enough to transport Yu home while Hamish' battlecruiser squadron's minded the store (and conquered Endicott). I think what I mildly object to is that CA-286 sort of disappears from RFC's attention in all of the future books -- and it would have taken -- at most, a page to give the ship an update, sendoff, or whatever. Heck, maybe they gave it to Grayson, restored to full Star Knight capabilities. The GSN could make it the only RMN ship that is part of the Protector's Own -- to honor all the RMN crewmen an women who lost their life during 2nd Yeltsin.

I'd imagine the Graysons would buy her and make her a museum ship, like HMS Unconquered is for the RMN. Traditions have to start somewhere, after all.

Much to Honor's displeasure. The various branches of the GSN, the Church and the government can send her running around again for the fun of it, like they did with the statue and the Honor Harrington class naming.

Can someone slip High Admiral Yanakov a note, please?

Exactly my thought! Sending the Admiral a note. Oh wait... What's his email address?
---------------------

Return to Honorverse