Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 30 guests

The Torch Wormhole

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Torch Wormhole
Post by Brigade XO   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:16 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

The only reason that the Harvest Joy was destroyed is that there was a squadron of Mannerheim BC (or Heavy Crusiers, I didn't go back to look) picketing it right on top of the exit lane. The ship came through, they blew it to bits before it had any idea there was anyone waiting.
The Mannerheim force on station rotates it ships up to the exit lane.

Why are they there vs. ships of the Alignment Navy was probably because the Alignment wasn't building (that we knew of) conventional warships and wasn't training crews for them. Not clear if Mannerheim is building any of it's own ships or getting them from Technodyne or similar builder. The Alighment appears to be building Streak Drive ships, not clear -other than the Spyder Drive ships- what hypercapable shipping it is building.

When the Harvest Joy didn't return in a reasonable amount of time, there were only two serious theories about what happened. One was that they had found the 2nd wormhole that destroys ships. The other is that something happened to the ships equipment such that they couldn't generate the Sails and, if unable to manufacture replacement parts, would have to attempt to come back via hyperspace. Of course they could have suffered any one of a number of engineering casualties and be alive but not able to go anywhere at other than perhaps non-hyperspace travel.

The reason to kill any non-Alinement ship comming though is to keep anybody else from exploring the other side of the wormhole and find the network that the Alignment us using. Of course, at this point there seem to be various sensors parked out by the Torch Wormhole to monitor it and those would also not any ships using it from either end. So, the Mannerheim guard force is going to have to get it's releif from ships entering the hidden network somewhre elce.
That just might be a way for the GA to pick up the thread of something odd going on if squadrons of Mannerheim warships are noticed in places far from home and over time.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:31 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:

(Not to scale)

Also note that the Warner system is in the Verge, less than a week's travel from Sarduchi, which in turn is the other end of the Sarduchi-Włocławek warp bridge. Włocławek is now likely a Manticoran ally in the Madras sector.

Given Mannerheim declared its independence from the League, is a founding member of the RF, a breakaway post-SL entity, it could soon find itself with lots of RMMS and a few RMN ships passing through.

We don't know if Visigoth declared its independence and intent to join the RF as was intended, but it's at the end of another Warp Bridge, one that the GA now controls (Mesa-Visigoth).

In UH, Visigoth refused to cooperate with the RMN over the Mesan bombings and vacated their astrocontrol, shutting down the wormhole. The RMN has it under their control now with a Manticorian team in the astrocontrol and Manticorian fleet presence in defense.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by isaac_newton   » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:13 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:
I just don't seem to be able to get this wormhole config into my head.

Is it possible that someone could do a very simple sketch to show the relevant star systems - inc Mannerheim?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... JkWEdCMGJn

Ah - ha.

Thanks - that was exactly what I was after :-)
Post by Theemile   » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:32 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:

Ah - ha.

Thanks - that was exactly what I was after :-)

one point I didn't include - one of the unknowns is in the Haven quadrant.... somewhere.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:29 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Theemile wrote:

In UH, Visigoth refused to cooperate with the RMN over the Mesan bombings and vacated their astrocontrol, shutting down the wormhole. The RMN has it under their control now with a Manticorian team in the astrocontrol and Manticorian fleet presence in defense.

IINM, the RMN is running astrocontrol from one of the picketing BCs.

edited for typos
Last edited by Fox2! on Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by ZVar   » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:04 pm

ZVar
Lieutenant Commander

Theemile wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:
I just don't seem to be able to get this wormhole config into my head.

Is it possible that someone could do a very simple sketch to show the relevant star systems - inc Mannerheim?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... JkWEdCMGJn

I'm getting a 404 error on the link. Is it still a valid link?
Post by isaac_newton   » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:48 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

ZVar wrote:

It's working fine today.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:15 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ZVar wrote:

It's direct to my google drive. let me know if you are still having issues and I'll generate a new link.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:06 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:We don't know if Visigoth declared its independence and intent to join the RF as was intended, but it's at the end of another Warp Bridge, one that the GA now controls (Mesa-Visigoth).

True, but Manticore will give the wormholes back after the SL's surrender. So Visigoth should get theirs back... even if they close traffic to GA traffic by blaming them for the bombardments in Mesa.

I was just wondering if all 11 systems that the MAlign controlled did declare independence (for those that were SL members) and join Mannerheim in founding the RF. All of them doing that at the same time could be suspicious.

Return to Honorverse