Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests

Name other ships in the class

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Name other ships in the class
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:35 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

The RMN appears to mostly follow a theme when naming the ships in a given class, like apparently most navies do. Examples of this are the Courageous-class CLs (positive adjectives, like Fearless and Audacious), Illustrious-class CLs, Edward Saganami-class CAs (famous or important navy personnel), and the Invictus-class SD(P)s (the letter I and mostly adjectives).

So I thought we could have a little brainstorming of other ships in known classes and help RFC and his fellow writers with ideas.

I'll start with the Ad Astra-class DNs. There were only 11 of them (though 16 were planned) and the theme seems to be "lofty phrases in Latin".

• Ad Astra - "to the stars"
  • Ab Nihilo - "from nothing"
  • Ab Rege - "by the king" (might be Ab Regina if the ship was commissioned after Queen Adrienne ascended in 1669)
  • Ad Altitudines - "to heights/loftiness" (though also "to the depths")
  • Ad Infinitum - "to the infinite"
  • Ad Scientiam - "to science/knowledge"
  • Ad Virtutem - "to/towards virtue/strength/power"
  • Ex Mari or Ab Mari - "out of the sea" or "from the sea"
  • Ex Tenebris - "out of/from the darkness"
  • Ultra Limitem - "beyond/past the limit"

And of course, Cum Honore - "with Honor" or Per Honorem - "for the honor".

We can continue this ad nauseam.
Re: Name other ships in the class
Post by Theemile   » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:01 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:The RMN appears to mostly follow a theme when naming the ships in a given class, like apparently most navies do. Examples of this are the Courageous-class CLs (positive adjectives, like Fearless and Audacious), Illustrious-class CLs, Edward Saganami-class CAs (famous or important navy personnel), and the Invictus-class SD(P)s (the letter I and mostly adjectives).

So I thought we could have a little brainstorming of other ships in known classes and help RFC and his fellow writers with ideas.

I'll start with the Ad Astra-class DNs. There were only 11 of them (though 16 were planned) and the theme seems to be "lofty phrases in Latin".

• Ab Rege - "by the king" (might be Ab Regina if the ship was commissioned after Queen Adrienne ascended in 1669)

Unfortunatly, different flights of ships seems to follow different naming conventions - for-ex the Star Knight class. Flight 1 was Star - whatever, so we get Star Warrior, Star Witch, etc. Flight II was "Magic user's" names, or Sorcerer, Witch, Warlock. Then Fearless, Valiant were both ex-courageous class ships names.

Sag Cs were first names after apex predators, (Hexapuma, Smiledon) semi-precious stones (Onyx), and finally RMN post-humus heros.

Lately, it seems all the conventions are out the window at some point and the now long pantheon of RMN heros all get their names on whatever ships is next laid down; Adm Alex McKeon gets a Sag-C along with Bob's uncle who saved those 2 kids in the boat bay fire - there doesn't seen to be a convention anymore.

Meanwhile all 150 Prince Consort class CAs seem to start with prince or princess, and all 25 King William SDs start with King or Queen, meaning the entire class follows the naming convention

I'm just saying that all along, sometimes those themes have only gone so far - especially with the larger classes, and unless we're certain, I'd be careful how far you went.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:03 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Theemile wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:The RMN appears to mostly follow a theme when naming the ships in a given class, like apparently most navies do. Examples of this are the Courageous-class CLs (positive adjectives, like Fearless and Audacious), Illustrious-class CLs, Edward Saganami-class CAs (famous or important navy personnel), and the Invictus-class SD(P)s (the letter I and mostly adjectives).

Unfortunatly, different flights of ships seems to follow different naming conventions - for-ex the Star Knight class. Flight 1 was Star - whatever, so we get Star Warrior, Star Witch, etc. Flight II was "Magic user's" names, or Sorcerer, Witch, Warlock. Then Fearless, Valiant were both ex-courageous class ships names.

Sag Cs were first names after apex predators, (Hexapuma, Smiledon) semi-precious stones (Onyx), and finally RMN post-humus heros.

Lately, it seems all the conventions are out the window at some point and the now long pantheon of RMN heros all get their names on whatever ships is next laid down; Adm Alex McKeon gets a Sag-C along with Bob's uncle who saved those 2 kids in the boat bay fire - there doesn't seen to be a convention anymore.

Meanwhile all 150 Prince Consort class CAs seem to start with prince or princess, and all 25 King William SDs start with King or Queen, meaning the entire class follows the naming convention

I'm just saying that all along, sometimes those themes have only gone so far - especially with the larger classes, and unless we're certain, I'd be careful how far you went.

Of course, there is also the list of honor - the names of ships that are not allowed to fall out of use - Fearless, Nike, etc.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:17 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:

Yeah, that's what I meant with mostly followed. There are exceptions, especially List of Honor ships that must reappear, regardless of the theme. Or political honoring, like HMS Second Yeltsin, an Invictus-class SD(P) (although you could make the argument that "Second" doesn't count and who knows whether Y and I haven't merged in the next 2000 years).

But there is a theme that they attempt in the beginning.

By the way, where's the HMS Travis Long? And on the same line, is a Capt. (SG) Jessica Epps going to show up on the next MA novel?

Unfortunately, those are two classes where the pool of available names is actually pretty limited. As I argued in the numbering inconsistency thread, there are far more Prince Consort ships than there are princes and princesses consort. So they could only have named the first 16 or so after actual consorts. Ditto for the King William: there weren't enough monarchs and even fewer unique names. Would be quite confusing if there were at the same time an HMS Queen Elizabeth I and HMS Queen Elizabeth II. Unless they began using historical kings and queens too, like an HMS King Solomon, HMS Queen Mary (of Scots) and HMS King Louis any of the 17 of them).

Yeah, but we can try to have some fun, at least.
Post by saber964   » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:30 pm

saber964
Admiral

It really depends on the naming conventions. Some BC classes are named after Greek gods, heros and people out of mythology. But you also have the Apollo class CL and remember Mike Henkes first command HMS Agni it's the Hindu God of fire. RFC remember is borrowing heavily from the Royal Navy which had some pretty off beat naming conventions. Take WWII British destroyers which were classed by the first letter of the ships name e.g. I J and K class Ivanhoe Javelin and Kelly. Or you have ships named after battles or previous ship s going back centuries. You can also get convoluted. The battleship King George V class the first three ships were named after three kings. Though most people don't know this. When the names were selected King George V was king, King Edward VIII was Prince of Wales and King George VI was Duke of York.
Post by Erls   » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:21 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

I think I can name a number of the Nike class BCs. :idea:

HMS Reebok
HMS Adidas
HMS Converse
HMS Puma
HMS Allen Edmonds
HMS Under Armour
HMS Louis Vitton

:lol:
Post by Theemile   » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:51 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Erls wrote:I think I can name a number of the Nike class BCs. :idea:

HMS Reebok
HMS Adidas
HMS Converse
HMS Puma
HMS Allen Edmonds
HMS Under Armour
HMS Louis Vitton

RMS Sketchers?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:36 pm

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

Theemile wrote:

HMS Reebok
HMS Adidas
HMS Converse
HMS Puma
HMS Allen Edmonds
HMS Under Armour
HMS Louis Vitton

RMS Sketchers?

HMS Keds
HMS Doc Martins

And the ship used for remedial training:

HMS Ugg
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:45 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

HMS Reebok
HMS Adidas
HMS Converse
HMS Puma
HMS Allen Edmonds
HMS Under Armour
HMS Louis Vitton

So would HMS Crocs keep coming back full of holes?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:06 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:

HMS Reebok
HMS Adidas
HMS Converse
HMS Puma
HMS Allen Edmonds
HMS Under Armour
HMS Louis Vitton

So would HMS Crocs keep coming back full of holes?

Only if Honor was the CO :mrgreen:
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Honorverse