Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb, zyffyr and 19 guests

What happens in Hyperspace near a Star?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What happens in Hyperspace near a Star?
Post by Brigade XO   » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:03 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Sails are for wormholes and gravity waves.

It appears that you really only know when a ship has gone into hyper when you can't detect it (it's wedge, other emissions), it effectivly vanishes into hyperspace.
That gives the possible option for a really locked down ship to shut down it's wedge and try and play a blank spot in space and coast away from a star rather than go into hyper. Iffy with military sensors tracking you.

While we are told that bad things can happen if you miss your timing and come out of hyper too deep in a gravity well (nobody mentions what happens if you try "just inside" the hyper limit) nobody seems to have said anything about trying to enter hyper a bit too early. Like if you are fleeing for your life and that BC is just about in range and.....will your generator and local physics just not let you initiate hyperdrive or will "break something" to a greater or lessor extent. You know, blow up the generator and or several alpha nodes with nasty results or make the whole ship a firecracker?

Haven't seen that happen I can remember but there were a lot of ships making it to the hyperlimit and getting away. Can you start trying and just be not able to generate the field till you get to the limit?
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:34 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:While we are told that bad things can happen if you miss your timing and come out of hyper too deep in a gravity well (nobody mentions what happens if you try "just inside" the hyper limit) nobody seems to have said anything about trying to enter hyper a bit too early. Like if you are fleeing for your life and that BC is just about in range and.....will your generator and local physics just not let you initiate hyperdrive or will "break something" to a greater or lessor extent. You know, blow up the generator and or several alpha nodes with nasty results or make the whole ship a firecracker?

Haven't seen that happen I can remember but there were a lot of ships making it to the hyperlimit and getting away. Can you start trying and just be not able to generate the field till you get to the limit?

I think we are told, but someone'll have to find the passage and confirm the exact details. We know what happens in the Resonance Zone, but outside of it and inside a hyperlimit I think the hypergenerators simply don't work. Nothing happens.
Post by jchilds   » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:45 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

I think the reference talks about soft boiled eggs?

Edit - found it?

Echoes of Honor, Chapter 33 wrote: Karen Lowe was an excellent astrogator, but a hyper voyage this long provided a great deal of scope for minor astrogation errors to produce major results. Overshooting their intended n-space translation point wouldn't be all that terrible . . . unless, of course, they overshot it too badly. A ship which attempted to translate out of hyper inside a star's hyper limit couldn't. As long as it made the attempt within the outer twenty percent of the hyper limit, all that happened was that it couldn't get into n-space. If it made the attempt any further in than that, however, Bad Things happened. Someone had once described the result as using a pulse cannon to fire soft-boiled eggs at a stone wall to see if they would bounce. Lester Tourville rather doubted they would, and even if he was wrong, it was a proposition he had no desire at all to test firsthand.

That being said, they talk about the Streak Drive being a brute force approach someplace IIRC, which makes me wonder if it might just be able to translate in that outer 20%?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:52 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Sails are for wormholes and gravity waves.

It appears that you really only know when a ship has gone into hyper when you can't detect it (it's wedge, other emissions), it effectivly vanishes into hyperspace.
That gives the possible option for a really locked down ship to shut down it's wedge and try and play a blank spot in space and coast away from a star rather than go into hyper. Iffy with military sensors tracking you.

While we are told that bad things can happen if you miss your timing and come out of hyper too deep in a gravity well (nobody mentions what happens if you try "just inside" the hyper limit) nobody seems to have said anything about trying to enter hyper a bit too early. Like if you are fleeing for your life and that BC is just about in range and.....will your generator and local physics just not let you initiate hyperdrive or will "break something" to a greater or lessor extent. You know, blow up the generator and or several alpha nodes with nasty results or make the whole ship a firecracker?

Well the books mention what happens if you try to enter a system within the outer 20% of the hyper limit; you simply fail to exit hyper. Found the reference, in Echoes of Honor
Echoes of Honor wrote:A ship which attempted to translate out of hyper inside a star's hyper limit couldn't. As long as it made the attempt within the outer twenty percent of the hyper limit, all that happened was that it couldn't get into n-space. If it made the attempt any further in than that, however, Bad Things happened. Someone had once described the result as using a pulse cannon to fire soft-boiled eggs at a stone wall to see if they would bounce.

So it doesn't sound like you'd take any damage to the ship or hyper generator if you're in that soft 20% outer zone. You'd just have to back up, probably top up the hyper generator's capacitors, and try again.

I can't recall any mention of what happens if you try to enter hyper from within the limit. (Probably because you don't have the navigational uncertainties so you can always tell whether or not you're far enough out)
Best case I'd expect the attempt to at least drain your capacitors, even if it did no other damage. So trying to jump a minute early might delay your actual escape by 5-15 minutes as you rebuild the charge you wasted prematurely.

Return to Honorverse