Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests

Next Manticore Ascendant book

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Next Manticore Ascendant book
Post by richardinor   » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:00 am

richardinor
Commander

Over a year ago I read that the next Manticore Ascendant book was almost done. I haven't seen anything since. What happened?
Re: Next Manticore Ascendant book
Post by Tyrant of Null   » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:08 am

Tyrant of Null
Ensign

Zzzzzz..... snort what? aww Patience grasshopper , maybe next year
Post by Theemile   » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:58 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Tyrant of Null wrote:Zzzzzz..... snort what? aww Patience grasshopper , maybe next year

A source of mine heard at DragonCon that the book is done and in the process - he did not pass me the pub date or title.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Hornblower   » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:27 am

Hornblower
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Theemile wrote:
Tyrant of Null wrote:Zzzzzz..... snort what? aww Patience grasshopper , maybe next year

A source of mine heard at DragonCon that the book is done and in the process - he did not pass me the pub date or title.

It is not yet in the Baen publishing schedule. Apparantly there will be nothing before May 2020.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:57 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Given the dates on the previous books
* A Call to Duty (2014)
* A Call to Arms (2016)
* A Call to Insurrection (2018)

2020 seems very likely. The working tile is reported to be "A Call to Insurrection".

Previous thread on the topic: http://davidweber.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9413
Post by richardinor   » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:53 pm

richardinor
Commander

If done, maybe snippets or an EARC date?
Post by Eagleeye   » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:57 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

richardinor wrote:If done, maybe snippets or an EARC date?

David has at the moment three books in snippet-mode (Into The Light; The Valkyrian Protocol; Mamelukes) - I doubt, we'll see another one any time soon. Regarding E-ARC: I doubt, we'll see it sometime this year. Maybe Spring 2020 ... maybe. Depends on how fast the book can be put into the Distribution line (that date minus 6 to 10 weeks, and we probably see the e-ARC); after all, Baen uses the Simon&Schuster-distribution services for that and is allowed only a limited number of books they can publish each month. If all slots in the next 8 months are already closed ... *shrug* (That's the reason the Baen monthly bundle usually has no more than 8 books in it :))
Post by schoeffelk   » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:50 pm

schoeffelk
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

The caveat Baen has used for David's books is they will not schedule his books in the printing que until they have them in hand. Baen refuses to jeopardize his health for deadlines. They have been know to bump others scheduled printing for a certain NYT best seller.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:04 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

On the one hand RFC is pretty hands off on Manticore Ascentant books; those are pretty much a collaberation between Timothy Zahn and Tom Pope (of BuNine); so hopefully David's busy schedule won't unduely delay them.

On the other hand David announced on FB that "Jane Lindskold and I [flourish of trumpets] have just signed the contact for three additional novels in the Star Kingdom series.

Don't know exactly when we'll break ground on the project, but it should be Real Soon Now." So something else for him to focus on.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:37 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

BTW, I wonder if we'll see some retconning of the discovery of the wormhole. The MWHJ is said to have been discovered in 1585 PD, after capturing the databases of invading ships. That's 40 years after the events in ACV.

I don't think David will allow a change to the date of the official discovery. But he may allow the 1544 invasion to be the one where the databases were captured, with no follow-up. The RMN and SIS could go out looking for whoever was behind the Volsungs by covert methods, so they don't want to reveal where they found the information.

Another possibility is that they discover early but the Admiralty and Queen Elizabeth II keep it to themselves while they surveyed the junction in secret and built up the RMN to defend it. HMS Nike (BC-01) was commissioned in 1590, which could be too short for a system that had no shipbuilding activities until the 1540s. (From my understanding, the ships were Havenite designs possibly assembled locally, but some components like the impellers were still sourced from Haven)

Return to Honorverse