Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 50 guests

KODT in Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: KODT in Honorverse
Post by tlb   » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:56 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Kaptenen wrote:That is not a accent mark, it is a letter, we have the letters Å,Ä and Ö and it sounds quite different. Why are you yanks so indifferent?

tlb wrote:As the Wikipedia article said whether it is considered a separate letter or a letter plus a diacritic mark depends on the language. I see no reason to doubt that in Kaptenen's language it is considered a separate letter. Note that the Council for German Orthography considers Ä/ä, Ö/ö, Ü/ü, and ẞ/ß to be distinct letters.

I think that German stands alone in allowing an alternative (ö = oe, ä = ae), but I am interesting in hearing what experts in other languages say.

Kaptenen wrote:No it is not, they are letters which change the meaning totally, for instance, dog=died, dög=sufficed, Another example: kal=barren or bald, kål=cabbage,köl=keel.

Since I thought that I was accepting what you said, I do not know to what you are disagreeing. It is often the case that changing the pronunciation of words that look similar changes the meaning.

But since you are posting; what does this mean?
Kaptenen wrote: Now I am a aseir beliver and why should my belief system be less than your belief in jahve and jebus?

What is "jahve and jebus"? Could it just be indifferent spelling? How did a discussion on the spelling of Völsung, turn into a discussion of belief systems? And where was Völsung initially misspelled, since it is your post that first mentions it?
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:21 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Kaptenen wrote:No it is not, they are letters which change the meaning
totally, for instance, dog=died, dög=sufficed, Another example: kal=barren or bald, kål=cabbage,köl=keel.

As they say in Norway, "it's not an O with a slash, it's an Ø". Also, you see often signs saying "fra A til Å" (where you'd see in English "from A to Z").
Post by Kaptenen   » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:39 pm

Kaptenen
Midshipman

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Kaptenen wrote:No it is not, they are letters which change the meaning
totally, for instance, dog=died, dög=sufficed, Another example: kal=barren or bald, kål=cabbage,köl=keel.

As they say in Norway, "it's not an O with a slash, it's an Ø". Also, you see often signs saying "fra A til Å" (where you'd see in English "from A to Z").

Indeed it sounds like our Ö and fills the same function
If i go to Oslo they have no problem understanding my
Swedish and I understand their Norwegian, the same if I
go to Denmark, I actually lives about an hours trainride
from Köbenhavn and we can Watch Danish television if we
like.
Post by tlb   » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:13 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Kaptenen wrote:If i go to Oslo they have no problem understanding my Swedish and I understand their Norwegian, the same if I go to Denmark, I actually lives about an hours trainride from Köbenhavn and we can Watch Danish television if we like.

In March I had wonderful vacation by sailing on the Hurtigruten ship MS Finnmarken from Bergen to Kirkenes and then spending several days in both Oslo and Stockholm. The cruise, the cities and the trains were all a treat; also the Viking boat, Polar Expedition and Vasa Museums were very interesting. Obviously I had no chance with the languages.
Post by Kaptenen   » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:10 pm

Kaptenen
Midshipman

tlb wrote:
Kaptenen wrote:If i go to Oslo they have no problem understanding my Swedish and I understand their Norwegian, the same if I go to Denmark, I actually lives about an hours trainride from Köbenhavn and we can Watch Danish television if we like.

In March I had wonderful vacation by sailing on the Hurtigruten ship MS Finnmarken from Bergen to Kirkenes and then spending several days in both Oslo and Stockholm. The cruise, the cities and the trains were all a treat; also the Viking boat, Polar Expedition and Vasa Museums were very interesting. Obviously I had no chance with the languages.

Of course you didn´t and you were not even interested to learn, i am fluent in 5 languages and can manage a couple of more, you on the other speak one and expect everybody to understand, oh no raise your voice then they
understand. But all this irrelevant since he insulted my religion!
Post by tlb   » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:25 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Kaptenen wrote:Of course you didn´t and you were not even interested to learn, i am fluent in 5 languages and can manage a couple of more, you on the other speak one and expect everybody to understand, oh no raise your voice then they understand. But all this irrelevant since he insulted my religion!

You are wrong and do not know me. I am happy that you know so many languages and wish I did. I do not expect people to know English and certainly do not expect they will learn if I raise my voice. Frankly you are in a much better location to learn languages as you are surrounded by a variety of them, unlike me. I am fortunate that people do know English, otherwise I would not go overseas.

But you keep talking about an insult to your religion, without ever explaining who did it and how it was done. What are you talking about?
Post by tlb   » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:06 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Kaptenen wrote:But all this irrelevant since he insulted my religion!

tlb wrote: ... you keep talking about an insult to your religion, without ever explaining who did it and how it was done. What are you talking about?

Let me guess, in the absence of a response from you. Since you have not explained, perhaps the problem is what you stated in the first post that mentions Völsung.
Kaptenen wrote:Now what annoys me that he call the mercenaries Volsung, now I have no problem with that but the correct Word is Völsung and trust me it sound quite different. Now I am a aseir beliver and why should my belief system be less than your belief in jahve and jebus?

Obviously my opinions are worthless, yet I will state them anyway.

Firstly; if "dog" is not the same as "dög" and "kal" is not the same as "kål" and as you clearly stated "Volsung" is not the same as "Völsung", then surely saying the Volsung are mercenaries (in whatever story you found this, but you said you had no problem with that) does not say anything about the people in the Völsung Saga.

Secondly; if you found this in a Manticore story by RFC (otherwise, why post in this forum), then clearly it says nothing about the people in the Völsung Saga because the story is not set in pre-Christian Scandinavia.

As it happens I am agnostic, so have no particular belief in "jahve and jebus" (whatever that means). If you find satisfaction in your beliefs, then more power to you. I only object to people's beliefs when they cause harm to others that are harmless. But if you wish to be outraged, that is your right and if others are not outraged that is their right.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:00 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:[Secondly; if you found this in a Manticore story by RFC (otherwise, why post in this forum), then clearly it says nothing about the people in the Völsung Saga because the story is not set in pre-Christian Scandinavia.

RFC is quite capable of putting diacritic marks in his books, q.v. "Agatá", "Kotouč", "Włocławek" (pronouncing this latter one in my mind while reading was a doozy). We've even seen very similar names of Slavic ancestry written both with and without diacritics (-c, -ć and -č).

He didn't use them in "Volsung" (not "Völsung" or "Vǫlsungr"). So maybe there's a reason for that: he's just giving us the actual spelling that the mercenary company chose for itself. If you have a problem with the spelling, you may want to take it up with Cuttler Gensomme. From all appearances, Gensomme was not a nice guy, so pointing out that he misspelt the name of his company would not be conducive to a long life...
Post by Kaptenen   » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:27 pm

Kaptenen
Midshipman

tlb wrote:
Kaptenen wrote:But all this irrelevant since he insulted my religion!

tlb wrote: ... you keep talking about an insult to your religion, without ever explaining who did it and how it was done. What are you talking about?

Let me guess, in the absence of a response from you. Since you have not explained, perhaps the problem is what you stated in the first post that mentions Völsung.
Kaptenen wrote:Now what annoys me that he call the mercenaries Volsung, now I have no problem with that but the correct Word is Völsung and trust me it sound quite different. Now I am a aseir beliver and why should my belief system be less than your belief in jahve and jebus?

Obviously my opinions are worthless, yet I will state them anyway.

Firstly; if "dog" is not the same as "dög" and "kal" is not the same as "kål" and as you clearly stated "Volsung" is not the same as "Völsung", then surely saying the Volsung are mercenaries (in whatever story you found this, but you said you had no problem with that) does not say anything about the people in the Völsung Saga.

Secondly; if you found this in a Manticore story by RFC (otherwise, why post in this forum), then clearly it says nothing about the people in the Völsung Saga because the story is not set in pre-Christian Scandinavia.

As it happens I am agnostic, so have no particular belief in "jahve and jebus" (whatever that means). If you find satisfaction in your beliefs, then more power to you. I only object to people's beliefs when they cause harm to others that are harmless. But if you wish to be outraged, that is your right and if others are not outraged that is their right.

First of all Völsung it´s not a story it is a person, secondly I do not mind Weber using the Nordic beliefs but
he have to spell it right. Thirdly Odin is way more awesome then the Jewish volcano god, why do you worship
him and his demented son anyway?
Post by jchilds   » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:06 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

I wonder if it's as simple as the text to speech rendering it without the umlaut and it being missed in editing?

Return to Honorverse