Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests

Blame Nimitz...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Blame Nimitz...
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:21 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--snipping, hopefully I did it right...

cthia wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Why does Honor Harrington struggle with math?

Her empathic link to Nimitz enables him to gain some insight into mathamatics but also enables his confusion to inhibit Honor's ability.

The problem with the notion is the period Honor began to communicate with Nimitz was long after her problems with math. So that in itself may help dispell the notion of the M ND BL ND leading the BL ND.

Honor doesn't have a problem with math in general -- otherwise, she wouldn't have qualified for the RMN and Saganami Island to begin with. Plus she was adopted as a child, so Nimitz influence pre-dates her problems with 4D math. So maybe Nimitz does affect her that way.

But I still tend to think that it's more HH's tactical intuition doesn't need 4D math, so it clogs up her brain-space when she tries to do both at the same time.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by cthia   » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:06 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Well, she could have qualified by scoring as low as possible without failing. Akin to a 70 in grade school. She might have just euff problem with it that she doesn't want to rely on it in a crunch, where time is of the essence.

At any rate, for the second "language" that she speaks with Nimitz to affect her, it couldn't have been the case early on before that communication actually began.

Note: Overall, being bilingual adds lots of insight to ones thoughts and overall is more enlightening, but most people will admit to defaulting back to actually thinking in ones own native tongue.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:08 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Thinking about Honor's weakness in math, it is so ironic because . . .

1. She's a genie, and an Alpha. She's probably the only genie in the series who has a weakness for math, and most likely the only Alpha.

2. She's Asian, a stereotype that's politically incorrect, but historically true. Kgari is probably the best astrogator of the series.

My crazy friend . . .

"She can't carry the 1 because she's carrying everything else."

In the end, Fly's notion just might, well, fly. :D

Side Orders:

Why does Beth hide her exact genetic concoction? And does she also generally keep the very fact that she's a genie at all, in the bottle?

Am I correct that Haven doesn't seem to have any genies? Or at least none of it's main characters? Which would be ironic if they don't, making Haven not exactly a haven for genies. Which would make it intuitive that the MBS would be sensitive to their plight.

I notice that the galaxy is ruled by genies.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:46 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Why does Beth hide her exact genetic concoction? And does she also generally keep the very fact that she's a genie at all, in the bottle?

Am I correct that Haven doesn't seem to have any genies? Or at least none of it's main characters? Which would be ironic if they don't, making Haven not exactly a haven for genies. Which would make it intuitive that the MBS would be sensitive to their plight.

Hiding the Royal House's exact genetics is a security precaution. Creating a targeted virus isn't too difficult for Manpower / Mesa, which they had known to be adversaries for centuries. But I don't think they hide the fact that they have some genetic mods, most visibly the one that gives them their skin colouring.

As for whether Haven has genies, it's a different question as to whether the characters we see are genies. There's a complete certainty that there are lots of genies in the 300 planets that comprise the Republic of Haven. But the leadership and characters we see? That's not necessarily the case and we simply don't know.

And even if genies have higher intellectual skills and would would naturally rise above the other people (exactly what Beowulf wants to prevent), given that the Committee killed almost everyone who had been ruling the PRH, then itself got removed from power, it seems like any genie ruling proportion would have reset.
Post by cthia   » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Why does Beth hide her exact genetic concoction? And does she also generally keep the very fact that she's a genie at all, in the bottle?

Hiding the Royal House's exact genetics is a security precaution. Creating a targeted virus isn't too difficult for Manpower / Mesa, which they had known to be adversaries for centuries. But I don't think they hide the fact that they have some genetic mods, most visibly the one that gives them their skin colouring.

As for whether Haven has genies, it's a different question as to whether the characters we see are genies. There's a complete certainty that there are lots of genies in the 300 planets that comprise the Republic of Haven. But the leadership and characters we see? That's not necessarily the case and we simply don't know.

And even if genies have higher intellectual skills and would would naturally rise above the other people (exactly what Beowulf wants to prevent), given that the Committee killed almost everyone who had been ruling the PRH, then itself got removed from power, it seems like any genie ruling proportion would have reset.

Wait, what? The Winton's skin color is a result of genetic tampering??? Do you have evidentiary support to back that claim? If true, that revelation is going to suck hind teat with my black friends.

I assumed Beth's gene tree is classified for the sake of security as well, for that same reason I, along with Annachie, posited in another thread that the Malign may be able to target the entire Winton clan en masse with tailored nanotec. If they can get their hands on the exact recipe. But, still, a sample of that DNA would still be needed, no? Which of course could be inconspicuously obtained by someone under compulsion.

I agree the MA went about it all incorrectly. All they have to do even now is point out that the galaxy is already "dominated" by genies.

Not certain the Andermani have any either. Although, the % of the main characters hailing from the MBS who are genies seem to be low as well.

At any rate, a case could almost be made now that the galaxy is already a fight between genies and nons.

Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:36 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Wait, what? The Winton's skin color is a result of genetic tampering??? Do you have evidentiary support to back that claim? If true, that revelation is going to suck hind teat with my black friends.

Not exactly easy to find and I might be mis-remembering it, but I thought there was some discussion on how the Winton looks were also dominant genetic traits. Though... isn't Beth's skin colour far paler than that of her father? That Mike Henke's matches King Roger more closely?

At any rate, a case could almost be made now that the galaxy is already a fight between genies and nons.

I think it's the exact opposite: there is no fight between the widespread genies among the population and the rest of the population. They have integrated just fine, with no class conflict. Moreover, their genes have spread far and wide, since they are often designed to be dominant in the first place.
Post by cthia   » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Wait, what? The Winton's skin color is a result of genetic tampering??? Do you have evidentiary support to back that claim? If true, that revelation is going to suck hind teat with my black friends.

Not exactly easy to find and I might be mis-remembering it, but I thought there was some discussion on how the Winton looks were also dominant genetic traits. Though... isn't Beth's skin colour far paler than that of her father? That Mike Henke's matches King Roger more closely?

I think it's the exact opposite: there is no fight between the widespread genies among the population and the rest of the population. They have integrated just fine, with no class conflict. Moreover, their genes have spread far and wide, since they are often designed to be dominant in the first place.

Black families can range from white to dark.

There isn't an actual fight between genies and the galaxy, other than the Malign, no. My point is that the MA can make it seem that genies are already ruling the roost, with a Queen who is -- a genie, along with her family -- at the head of the most powerful navy in the galaxy. Plus the fact that the number one commander in the galaxy is a genie. Along with the fact that their victories have been against government's who seem to have no genies in the bottle.

To have an effective navy, excellent astrogators would be good. The Peeps never seemed to have an extraordinary astrogator. Or genies in uniform. Go figure.

Post by Dauntless   » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:37 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

no-one in haven has been specifically said as a genie but the haven navy was about the only other along with RMN and BSDF who even bothered trying to catch slavers. so every chance some rescued slaves lived there, had kids etc so i'm sure there are many genies in the republic we just haven't met any.

Or have we? Violet eyes are not exactly common and we know slavers love to make non-stnard playthings for their clients. if a pritchard ancestor was a rescued slave it might partly explain their attitude, when so many sat around doing nothing, she was a teacher, a good one. If for example her great grandmother/father arrived on Nouve Parris with nothing, then they would have likely had more drive to improve their lives then many on the BLS and passed that drive to their children etc.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:34 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:no-one in haven has been specifically said as a genie but the haven navy was about the only other along with RMN and BSDF who even bothered trying to catch slavers. so every chance some rescued slaves lived there, had kids etc so i'm sure there are many genies in the republic we just haven't met any.

Or have we? Violet eyes are not exactly common and we know slavers love to make non-stnard playthings for their clients. if a pritchard ancestor was a rescued slave it might partly explain their attitude, when so many sat around doing nothing, she was a teacher, a good one. If for example her great grandmother/father arrived on Nouve Parris with nothing, then they would have likely had more drive to improve their lives then many on the BLS and passed that drive to their children etc.

Your logic certainly makes sense to me, especially if we consider the size of Haven's population. However, Haven's government might not have been too appealing to someone smarter than the brains God gave Legislaturalists.

Or, they just might not have wanted to put their life on the line for Peep politics. And, too, I'd think genies would all gravitate to the same haven, no pun intended, if one is found.

Interesting, to say the least.

Post by Theemile   » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:32 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:

No, you are remembering right, the Winton skin color "mahogany" is part of the genetic upgrade package.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse