Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 33 guests

Incongruencies in the books (yet I still love them)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Incongruencies in the books (yet I still love them)
Post by tlb   » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:50 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:(snippage)

In Crown of Slaves (chapter 41), Du Havel is talking about forming a constitutional monarchy like Great Britain's (which does not have a written constitution). In Torch of Freedom (chapter 14), there is mention that the constitution allows every ex-slave the right to emigrate.

As a guess, I would expect that Torch does have a written one because a new found state cannot rely on precedent.

Fox2! wrote:Doesn't Her Mousyness have the expressed constitutional power to summarily execute or exile one person each year? I remember she threatened any body who protested her naming Hugh to the "Ministry of the Posterior" when she joined the mass pilgrimage to Manticore when Anton and Victor went there after they stopped at Haven on their escape from Mesa.

That was part of the discussion I mentioned in Crown of Slaves; she objected to having the power to order an execution, so they settled on the power of banishment instead. But that discussion was before the state was established. Do you know if there is a written constitution? I do not have anything to automatically search after Mission of Honor.
Re: Incongruencies in the books (yet I still love them)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:47 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
tlb wrote:(snippage)

In Crown of Slaves (chapter 41), Du Havel is talking about forming a constitutional monarchy like Great Britain's (which does not have a written constitution). In Torch of Freedom (chapter 14), there is mention that the constitution allows every ex-slave the right to emigrate.

As a guess, I would expect that Torch does have a written one because a new found state cannot rely on precedent.

Doesn't Her Mousyness have the expressed constitutional power to summarily execute or exile one person each year? I remember she threatened any body who protested her naming Hugh to the "Ministry of the Posterior" when she joined the mass pilgrimage to Manticore when Anton and Victor went there after they stopped at Haven on their escape from Mesa.

They settled for giving Her Mousety the right to banish someone once a year, not execute. Other than that, you remember correctly the occasion that she threatened to use it.

As for whether Britain has a constitution, it has the Magna Carta and there's no telling if it acquires one in the next 2 millenia.

Return to Honorverse