Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

Post-Yawata Strike Survivors in Grayson

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Post-Yawata Strike Survivors in Grayson
Post by gdkorps   » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:02 am

gdkorps
Midshipman

We know that the Blackbird Yard was completely destroyed in the Yawata Strike along with 99% of its work force. We also know that Wesley Matthews was there for a conference when it happened and perished. My question is, what happened to Mark Brentworth (He was the CO of Blackbird according to Companion). Did he survive?
Re: Post-Yawata Strike Survivors in Grayson
Post by Theemile   » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

gdkorps wrote:We know that the Blackbird Yard was completely destroyed in the Yawata Strike along with 99% of its work force. We also know that Wesley Matthews was there for a conference when it happened and perished. My question is, what happened to Mark Brentworth (He was the CO of Blackbird according to Companion). Did he survive?

Pardon my manners, welcome to the Forums gdkorps - come over to the bar, the first Virtual Old Tillman's on us. After that You'll need to find your own source (and don't be stingy, my source has recently dried up...)

According to Tom Pope from BuNine, the Companion was a snapshot of the Honorverse dated ~May 1st 1921 pd. The Yawata strike was early March 1922 pd iirc.

Mark has not been mentioned since, including in the short story about the 1st destroyer to return to Blackbird after the strike. (short story on Baen website in 2011 or 12).
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:34 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

IINM, there were NO Treecat casualties in the Grayson leg of Oyster Bay?

Also, the RoH was originally on the hit list, but time betrayed that order. I've often wondered what form Oyster Bay's attack on the RoH would take? They weren't aware of the location of Bolthole.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:17 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:IINM, there were NO Treecat casualties in the Grayson leg of Oyster Bay?

Also, the RoH was originally on the hit list, but time betrayed that order. I've often wondered what form Oyster Bay's attack on the RoH would take? They weren't aware of the location of Bolthole.

From Storm from the Shadows, chapter 33:
"A very few of you are aware that Benjamin has been working for quite some time now on an operation codenamed Oyster Bay. Those of you who know about it, also know we're still far short of all of our projected readiness dates for mounting it. However, Oyster Bay was originally intended to strike Manticore, Grayson, and all of the major Havenite building centers simultaneously. It would be impossible for us to launch an operation on that scale before the Manties' new construction comes out of the yards. But the fact that that new construction is still in the yards, concentrated in a limited volume of space where we can find it and get at it, and without the ability to defend itself, represents an enormous force multiplier for the Oyster Bay resources already available to us. In addition, we don't need to strike the Havenites at this moment. Their wall of battle has been effectively destroyed; their construction rates are still much slower than those of the Manties or the Graysons; and they don't have this new targeting system the Manties have deployed. In other words, we can deal with them later, using more conventional tactics if we have to.
"So, what it comes down to is this. The Manties' new technology is more dangerous than ever, but their combat strength has been cut back to no more than forty to sixty ships of the wall, and they have to be reeling strategically from the losses they've already taken. Despite their new tech, they're vulnerable in a way they've never been before. We have the means already in place in or approaching Talbott to cut off that entire lobe of this new 'Star Empire' of theirs, and get them into the shooting war with the League we've always wanted. And, after discussing our own readiness states with Benjamin and Daniel, I believe we're in a position to launch a modified, downscaled Oyster Bay, targeted on Manticore and Grayson only, within six T-months."

If the Malign wanted Haven to destroy the Solarian League, then the only reason to strike major Havenite building sites would be to slow down that destruction so that Haven would be hurt also.

Oyster Bay destroyed Blackbird in the attack on Grayson's infrastructure, but nothing close to the planet. There was no debris that threatened the planet either. So at treecat would have to be a Blackbird to die.
Post by kzt   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:29 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:If the Malign wanted Haven to destroy the Solarian League, then the only reason to strike major Havenite building sites would be to slow down that destruction so that Haven would be hurt also.

Ideally they wanted Haven and the SL to fight to their mutual destruction. Leaving no strong governmental organization around to provide order and security. Until one arises.
Post by tlb   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:58 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:Ideally they wanted Haven and the SL to fight to their mutual destruction. Leaving no strong governmental organization around to provide order and security. Until one arises.

I agree. Their second choice would be Haven winning, but in a weakened state; leaving the core worlds without a government structure.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

So, the MA's original plans for Oyster Bay included Haven. Anyone recall whether there was any speculation inside the GA about that? The Havenite government had to wonder why they were not hit, or if they would be in the future. As a result of that, they should have learned something from the Yawata Strike and the recent Beowulfan disaster. I assume Haven's Space Stations would be targeted. If they are as close to the planet as the Manticoran stations, then shouldn't they move them further out?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:08 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote: As a result of that, they should have learned something from the Yawata Strike and the recent Beowulfan disaster. I assume Haven's Space Stations would be targeted. If they are as close to the planet as the Manticoran stations, then shouldn't they move them further out?

What do you think that Haven should learn, aside from the lessons that Manticore is applying to the construction of their new stations? We have no inkling of what Beowulf will do in that regard.

I do not remember any discussion of space stations for Haven; although there must be some, since ship building and repairs are not done on the ground. We know that their ship building industry is not concentrated at one planet. It may be that the main planet only has the capitol fleet overhead.
Post by kzt   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:33 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Haven has multiple major construction nodes. David briefly went over in a book, but Haven is more first among equals than the 7 foot giant in a land of pigmies like the Manticoran Allegiance was.

And Bolthole is now their premier combat spacecraft node. It’s self-contained and can build entire fleets. The only outside element needed is the crew.
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:47 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

kzt wrote:Ideally they wanted Haven and the SL to fight to their mutual destruction. Leaving no strong governmental organization around to provide order and security. Until one arises.

You mean until they could have a rebirth - like a Renaissance?

Return to Honorverse