Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 44 guests

Short Stories

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Short Stories
Post by CaptainPerseus   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:45 pm

CaptainPerseus
Ensign

There have been several short stories written in the Honorverse by RFC as well as others. These stories have appeared in the anthologies and independently like Recruiting Exercise, Dark Fall, and Our Sacred Honor. I know it's probably been asked and debated elsewhere in the forum, but since I'm new here I've decided to ask here: what short stories would everyone be interested in seeing should RFC or other authors he chooses write more of them?

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Honor's appearance before the Weapons Development Board Post-On Basilisk Station. It's been alluded to several times that she told Sonja Hemphill exactly what she thought of the grav lance concept, but we've never seen it ourselves.

Additionally, I wouldn't mind seeing a dual perspective story through the eyes of Indiana Graham and Paulo d'Arezzo where they both experience meeting Abigail's and Helen's families respectively. I think it would be interesting to see Indiana experiencing a sort of cultural shock being introduced to Grayson. We've already seen him experience something similar in Uncompromising Honor when he was on Manticore. And it could serve as a vehicle for learning more about Owens Steading. On the other side, seeing d'Arezzo on Torch could be equally as interesting. Being the child of genetic slaves and a former genetic slave himself, he could experience a bit of culture shock himself. Plus there has to be a certain intimidation factor when meeting your significant other's father, especially when that father is Anton Zilwicki. Throw in Victor Cachat, Thandi Palane, Jeremy X, Queen Berry, and Ruth Winton and you're guaranteed something that could be both menacing and comical.
Re: Short Stories
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:05 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

CaptainPerseus wrote:There have been several short stories written in the Honorverse by RFC as well as others. These stories have appeared in the anthologies and independently like Recruiting Exercise, Dark Fall, and Our Sacred Honor. I know it's probably been asked and debated elsewhere in the forum, but since I'm new here I've decided to ask here: what short stories would everyone be interested in seeing should RFC or other authors he chooses write more of them?

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Honor's appearance before the Weapons Development Board Post-On Basilisk Station. It's been alluded to several times that she told Sonja Hemphill exactly what she thought of the grav lance concept, but we've never seen it ourselves.

Additionally, I wouldn't mind seeing a dual perspective story through the eyes of Indiana Graham and Paulo d'Arezzo where they both experience meeting Abigail's and Helen's families respectively. I think it would be interesting to see Indiana experiencing a sort of cultural shock being introduced to Grayson. We've already seen him experience something similar in Uncompromising Honor when he was on Manticore. And it could serve as a vehicle for learning more about Owens Steading. On the other side, seeing d'Arezzo on Torch could be equally as interesting. Being the child of genetic slaves and a former genetic slave himself, he could experience a bit of culture shock himself. Plus there has to be a certain intimidation factor when meeting your significant other's father, especially when that father is Anton Zilwicki. Throw in Victor Cachat, Thandi Palane, Jeremy X, Queen Berry, and Ruth Winton and you're guaranteed something that could be both menacing and comical.

I'll second all of those motions! And raise you one . . .

Justin meeting "the folks!"

RFC did treat us to Honor meeting Emily.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:14 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

I will happily read any short story by RFC that occurs around Honor's time; but I hope that he will concentrate on the stories with Eric Flint that will point the way to the defeat of the Mesan Alignment.

The collections of short stories have included some very good ones by Eric and him and some bad ones by various others.

I also hope that there will appear the background books equivalent to House of Steel for the various other major naval powers. House of Lies has been mentioned for Haven prior to the restoration of the constitution.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:I will happily read any short story by RFC that occurs around Honor's time; but I hope that he will concentrate on the stories with Eric Flint that will point the way to the defeat of the Mesan Alignment.

The collections of short stories have included some very good ones by Eric and him and some bad ones by various others.

I also hope that there will appear the background books equivalent to House of Steel for the various other major naval powers. House of Lies has been mentioned for Haven prior to the restoration of the constitution.

Agreed, with the added caveat that the Alignment's defeat had better be around Honor's time. Because if it isn't, the present litter of 'Cats won't see justice and will catch no joy. Which would spell rats for the cats.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by stewart   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:05 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

CaptainPerseus wrote:There have been several short stories written in the Honorverse by RFC as well as others. These stories have appeared in the anthologies and independently like Recruiting Exercise, Dark Fall, and Our Sacred Honor. I know it's probably been asked and debated elsewhere in the forum, but since I'm new here I've decided to ask here: what short stories would everyone be interested in seeing should RFC or other authors he chooses write more of them?

--------------

Echo all previous comments with this additional --
Would be VERY interesting to witness Paulo's first meeting with Isaac -- Cathy's "Butler" (and primary Ballroom link).
I think Isaac would have a very stabilizing and focusing effect on Paulo.

-- Stewart
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'd like to read about Indiana finally entering the Temple of Doom. Hmm, I wonder if Abby (or the Graysons), believes in premarital sexercise? Rose could pen that one! Maybe TFL'll finally get his shower scene(s).

P.S. Short stories should enjoy the advantage of being able to be cranked out much faster than normal. Some authors seem to crank one out during each brunch, surely David can manage a short story between lunch and dinner.

Post by Theemile   » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:22 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

stewart wrote:

--------------

Would be VERY interesting to witness Paulo's first meeting with Isaac -- Cathy's "Butler" (and primary Ballroom link).

-- Stewart

Cathy would absolutely gush over Paulo. He would walk around her mansion with a perpetual blush, but he would be made to feel at home and welcomed.

However, he better go find a massive brass pair for when he finally meets Anton. ...And he thought Helen was rough....
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:42 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

stewart wrote:

--------------

-- Stewart

Theemile wrote:Cathy would absolutely gush over Paulo. He would walk around her mansion with a perpetual blush, but he would be made to feel at home and welcomed.

However, he better go find a massive brass pair for when he finally meets Anton. ...And he thought Helen was rough....

Matter of fact, after all of the initial "pleasantries" are all said and done, LOL, perhaps Anton could eventually do for him what Horace did for Wonderboy. Find a spine.

Post by Fox2!   » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:35 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

cthia wrote:
RFC did treat us to Honor meeting Emily.

I suspect that the first time Honor met Emily, she was the wife of a senior Admiral in the RMN, and Honor was a rising Captain. There should not have been any sexual tension. Even during the Interregnum, while Hamish and Honor were both on the beach, there was no overt sexual feeling between Honor and Hamish, both because of the pain it would cause Emily, and the political dangers involved. Heck, there were political dangers just from them being on the same planet.

The tension isn't resolved until Emily practically throws Hamish at Honor one night, saying (very roughly, after a few too many SEUs), "I am going to bed. Why don't you two."
Last edited by Fox2! on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Brigade XO   » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:01 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

I could be wrong but the 1st time Honor met Emily was when Emily invited Honor to her house (with Hamish) to confront the situation of Honor being pregnant with Hamish's child.

Return to Honorverse