Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 150 guests

How to Recover from OB was-RMN Pows Held by RoH Op Thund..

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: How to Recover from OB was-RMN Pows Held by RoH Op Thund
Post by Vince   » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:23 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Ensign Re-read wrote:
SWM wrote:I believe that Richardinor was saying that nothing has been said about such workers being a resource after OB. Which is correct--they have not been mentioned.

OK by me.

Eighty out of how ever many thousands of workers is just a drop in the proverbial bucket anyway.

True, but enough drops will add up considerably, if not fill the bucket up. Artemis was a BC(L), and had almost 80 workers on board. We can only guess how many a SD(P) from would require. Multiply that by the python lump and it increases the total of yard workers available. It probably won't be a large number in comparison to the number of workers lost in OB, but every little bit helps.

I believe Richardinor was replying to my question about the yard workers captured by Haven in the attack on Grendelsbane in AAC.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by kzt   » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:31 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Ensign Re-read wrote:Eighty out of how ever many thousands of workers is just a drop in the proverbial bucket anyway.

80 per ship, with over 100 ships.
Post by Ensign Re-read   » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:19 pm

Ensign Re-read
Commodore

Vince and Kzt:

I'll grant you that your hypothetical is possible. I've never worked in a shipyard, but can tell you something about machine-building and building-building. The people you have at the end of the process are (usually) a different set of people who are involved in the beginning and middle phases of construction.

Machines: Think Welders, painters, assemblers, electricians for beginning phases, then later on: the more experienced (people equivalent to) Millwrights, instrumentation technicians, PLC programmers and troubleshooters.

Buildings: Think Steel worker (beginning), Framers, Sheetrockers, Glazers and Electricians (middle) and Finish Carpenters, Regular and Low-voltage electricians (end).

Yes, in DW's Honorverse, the Manticorans will have a lot of the tasks done by robot, nanobots, etc. But someone still has to run and troubleshoot those robots/nanobots. Someone still has to check that changing the print to have this beam over there instead will not cause other problems down the road.

I'll even grant you that a lot of what I call the early to middle phase people could have been on a big company picnic down-planet.

Doesn't matter. There's still a very large hole to fill, and I'm real interested to see how DW will even half-plausibly squares this circle; ships full of 80-odd commisioning technicians will not be enough.
=====
The Celestia "addon" for the Planet Safehold as well as the Kau-zhi and Manticore A-B star systems, are at URL:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/weber/.
=====
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68506297@N ... 740128635/
=====
Post by kzt   » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:00 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Ensign Re-read wrote:Doesn't matter. There's still a very large hole to fill, and I'm real interested to see how DW will even half-plausibly squares this circle; ships full of 80-odd commisioning technicians will not be enough.

Sure. I've argued that it would make no sense for the crews that do the final months of assembly to even be on the platforms, as there isn't much need for an expert in installing blast doors when all you have in a slip is a bunch of battle steel fabrication teams forming the primary structural members.
Re: RMN Prisoners Held by Haven From Operation Thunderbolt
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:04 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:
richardinor wrote:SPOILER

At the book signing I attended last month, Mr. Weber said the Weyland servivors get shipped off to Bolthole

Was anything said about the yard workers who were captured at Gendelsbane?

Hi Vince and Richardinor,

"Very interesting". :-)

Sending the Weyland survivors to Bolthole isn't a bad idea, since its the most advanced R&D facility in the RoH, and would enable them to get back to work quickly. OTOH, I'd think the Andermanni facilities are probably superior in their technology, ie being closer to Manticore's, but you've got a new military alliance with Haven, and this is one sign of trust etc.

The Grendlesbane workers weren't secret qualified, but more than good enough for most construction jobs in rebuilding Manticore's 'spear tip' of its manufacturing. After all, Grendlesbane did it all, from the asteroid to the finished ship.

How many Grendlesbane workers were there ?
Again given 73 SDP's and 19 CLAC's under construction, how many workers does it take to add almost 900,000 tons every day, not counting the 19 CLAC's ?

We don't know, but something between 100,000 to 250,000 seems quite possible.

Quite a nice little seed to grow a pearl, don't you think?

Best wishes,

L
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:17 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

kzt wrote:
Ensign Re-read wrote:Eighty out of how ever many thousands of workers is just a drop in the proverbial bucket anyway.

80 per ship, with over 100 ships.

Except that it was 80 out of an eight ship squadron. Kumalo was asking what her squadron was needing to start that conversation. IMO that would be 10 per ship.

As others have pointed out they were all probably very good at trouble shooting problems in say ventilation systems. As I recall that was one of the problems Mike's flagship has that was mentioned. Don't know about the rest of their skillsets.

T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Re: RMN Prisoners Held by Haven From Operation Thunderbolt
Post by Thirdbase   » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:27 am

Thirdbase
Admiral

lyonheart wrote:
Vince wrote:
richardinor wrote:SPOILER

At the book signing I attended last month, Mr. Weber said the Weyland servivors get shipped off to Bolthole

Was anything said about the yard workers who were captured at Gendelsbane?

Hi Vince and Richardinor,

"Very interesting". :-)

Sending the Weyland survivors to Bolthole isn't a bad idea, since its the most advanced R&D facility in the RoH, and would enable them to get back to work quickly. OTOH, I'd think the Andermanni facilities are probably superior in their technology, ie being closer to Manticore's, but you've got a new military alliance with Haven, and this is one sign of trust etc.

The Grendlesbane workers weren't secret qualified, but more than good enough for most construction jobs in rebuilding Manticore's 'spear tip' of its manufacturing. After all, Grendlesbane did it all, from the asteroid to the finished ship.

How many Grendlesbane workers were there ?
Again given 73 SDP's and 19 CLAC's under construction, how many workers does it take to add almost 900,000 tons every day, not counting the 19 CLAC's ?

We don't know, but something between 100,000 to 250,000 seems quite possible.

Quite a nice little seed to grow a pearl, don't you think?

Best wishes,

L

Over forty thousand of them—the entire workforce for a complex the size Grendelsbane once had been, just as lost to the Star Kingdom as the ships they had come here to work upon.
------------
runsforcelery wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:I think that was the next novel.

Allow me to demonstrate my concision, brevity, and economy of phrase:

"Smart alec!" ;p
Post by mvlachos   » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:44 am

mvlachos
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

that 40K returned to manticore would be a damn good start..

infinitely better than 0.
Post by Thirdbase   » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:02 am

Thirdbase
Admiral

mvlachos wrote:that 40K returned to manticore would be a damn good start..

infinitely better than 0.

So would Manitcore's returning of the 400,000 or so POWs.
------------
runsforcelery wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:I think that was the next novel.

Allow me to demonstrate my concision, brevity, and economy of phrase:

"Smart alec!" ;p
Post by namelessfly   » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:57 pm

namelessfly

The workers captured at Grendlesbane were the ones that were judged to not have knowledge of the most sensitive technology. Hwoever; they were still first class construction techs.

Return to Honorverse