Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 132 guests

How to Recover from OB was-RMN Pows Held by RoH Op Thund..

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: How to Recover from OB was-RMN Pows Held by RoH Op Thund
Post by kzt   » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:01 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

namelessfly wrote:The workers captured at Grendlesbane were the ones that were judged to not have knowledge of the most sensitive technology. Hwoever; they were still first class construction techs.

Knowing how to precisely fabricate 1km long battle steel beams isn't a secret thing, but it's an essential trick to build big ships that isn't the kind of thing many people will know.
Post by namelessfly   » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:24 am

namelessfly

I'm still waiting for someone to muster the courage to ask me how you can cut a threaded hole in steel plate using a cutting torch. Most professional welders and metal fabricators don't even know this trick.
Post by solbergb   » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:58 pm

solbergb
Admiral

I certainly don't know. I have in fact designed something that was a tricky welding problem, way back doing work study in an Aeronautics lab back in the 80s, and had it get built and work but I was sensible enough, even as a cocky undergraduate, to just learn how I had to spec it out so the welders knew what to do, and get the hell out of their way so they could do it.

A complex trick like that though, is something I'd expect the kind of welders the Weyland would have in their machine shops to be able to do. It's a prototype/small lot kind of thing, where you lack specialized tools but have a terrific machine shop+talented experts using the tools, not the sort of thing you'd normally us in volume production (where a specialized machine would be available to drill threads to extremely high tolerances, very quickly)
Post by bafoote   » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:25 pm

bafoote
Rear Admiral

namelessfly wrote:I'm still waiting for someone to muster the courage to ask me how you can cut a threaded hole in steel plate using a cutting torch. Most professional welders and metal fabricators don't even know this trick.

With a jig and a cutting timing diagram using a pocket watch. Same way they did all the "threads" on locomotives in the 1800's. Same way the wright brothers made their engine. 1 jig that the cutting fixture either slides on or is attached to.

Not exactly a state secret. An old timer secret that is for sure.
Post by Cheopis   » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:19 am

Cheopis
Vice Admiral

I was going to say a clean cutting head, blow a clean hole, then epoxy in a helical coil when things cool down :)
Post by BrigadeΔ   » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:06 pm

BrigadeΔ
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I don't think Oyster bay matters, in between The Battle of Manticore and the Solarians showing up the RHN built at least 400 SD(P)'s to apparently at least Manticore's pre-apollo standards and apollo is just a couple of drones, special missile pods and an ECM generation, with Manticorian tech the next set of their Podnaughts will probably have apollo, that is what Bolthole and the rest of the RoH is for the, Haven was probably going to represent 60-80% of the new alliances' building capacity and while the attack will hurt, most of the pain will be in Manticores' and to a lesser extent Graysons egos and pocket books not military fighting capacity as the RHN will still have missiles and can lend them to the Grand Aliance, also i don't think anyone will like to fight a Moriarty if it has FTL comm of Manticorian standards.
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:41 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

BrigadeΔ wrote:I don't think Oyster bay matters, in between The Battle of Manticore and the Solarians showing up the RHN built at least 400 SD(P)'s to apparently at least Manticore's pre-apollo standards and apollo is just a couple of drones, special missile pods and an ECM generation, with Manticorian tech the next set of their Podnaughts will probably have apollo, that is what Bolthole and the rest of the RoH is for the, Haven was probably going to represent 60-80% of the new alliances' building capacity and while the attack will hurt, most of the pain will be in Manticores' and to a lesser extent Graysons egos and pocket books not military fighting capacity as the RHN will still have missiles and can lend them to the Grand Aliance, also i don't think anyone will like to fight a Moriarty if it has FTL comm of Manticorian standards.

Pretty much this. While the GA will have fewer ships - especially of the wall - than it would have had if Manticore hadn't been attacked, that's still far from saying that the GA is short on ships - particularly once Shannon and Sonja become very, very busy girls at Bolthole. :twisted:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by drothgery   » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:02 pm

drothgery
Admiral

BrigadeΔ wrote:...

Erm... holy thread necromancy, Batman ...
Post by Dafmeister   » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:03 pm

Dafmeister
Commodore

drothgery wrote:
BrigadeΔ wrote:...

Erm... holy thread necromancy, Batman ...

Aim for the head!
Post by lyonheart   » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:28 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Brigade A,

Yes, the RHN can build a lot of ships for the GA for quite a while, assuming someone pays for them.

A couple of nits.

The SEM version of Moriarty is Mycroft.

The RHN has built 800 SDP's at Bolthole, and has 420 in service plus another 400 about to commission in Haven and 3 near colonies, the first flight carried only 400 pods because its tech was so much less than the RMN's, and could handle some 2-400 capital missile hits, while RMN SDP's seemed to survive a thousand, especially when HH-A was in command. ;)

By the time of OB the GA fleets were approaching 4000 warships, and if the RoH has indeed dedicated whole systems to build nothing but a single class, and with around 3 dozen first rate industrialized systems, it could be closing on 5000 since its been 8 month's since OB. ;)

Rebuilding their industrial infrastructure is a national priority beyond fighting the MAlign for Manticore and Grayson, starting with economic survival; which Haven fully understands and supports.

From the textev according to the Joint Planning Board Bolthole will build lots of improved Apollo capable SDP's over the next few years, which will have their high tech capabilities installed by Beowulf until the SEM and Yeltsin are back up in 3-4 years.

If we're going this route, does the GA really need Apollo either to destroy the SLN? ;)

L

[quote="BrigadeΔ"]I don't think Oyster bay matters, in between The Battle of Manticore and the Solarians showing up the RHN built at least 400 SD(P)'s to apparently at least Manticore's pre-apollo standards and apollo is just a couple of drones, special missile pods and an ECM generation, with Manticorian tech the next set of their Podnaughts will probably have apollo, that is what Bolthole and the rest of the RoH is for the, Haven was probably going to represent 60-80% of the new alliances' building capacity and while the attack will hurt, most of the pain will be in Manticores' and to a lesser extent Graysons egos and pocket books not military fighting capacity as the RHN will still have missiles and can lend them to the Grand Aliance, also i don't think anyone will like to fight a Moriarty if it has FTL comm of Manticorian standards.[/quote]
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!

Return to Honorverse