Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 153 guests

Opening Phase of Havenite war

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Opening Phase of Havenite war
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:07 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

@ Sigs -- all in the name of my humble opinion.

I agree with everything you posit Sigs, basically. But again I think you've missed my point. We know that any attack through a wormhole is equal to the puree setting on a blender, under normal circumstances. It is the abnormal circumstances that you must plan for which keeps one honest, especially against an opponent as smart and tech savvy as the Manties. The Peeps had to remain honest. Regardless of what assault they launched against the Manties, they had to spend significant forces locking down Trevor's Star which represents a direct line of attack to Nouveau Paris. The Peeps had no way of knowing whether or not Manticore had developed game changing, force multiplying tech and named it Apollo. If the SKM was on the verge of grabbing Trevor's Star through normal hyper with such tech then the Peeps would have been toast. If the SKM is successful at opening up a direct line of attack and a direct line of quickly recalling forces to assist at Manticore would have represented a fatal strategic misstep by Haven.

On the chess board its like failing to support your flanks "en appui" - advancing that crucial pawn - before launching what is thought to be a devastating attack against what appears to be a weakened opponent. Who, instead of being weak - has set a trap. (My niece, the little snot!) Which leaves your main battle element (Eighth Fleet at one point) sorely out of position.

As I recall, the Peeps didn't fortify Trevor's Star with the traditional mines, etc. It remained that way even during White Haven's campaign, iinm. All I'm saying is that launching such an attack without fully locking down the road to Noveau Paris could have been a gamble that bites in the posterior.

Scenario: Trevor's Star (in a coincidental simultaneous Manty attack) has fallen from inadequate forces of a mere inconsequential picket because, well, surely the SKM won't go after Trevor's Star. The Peeps all or nothing attack on the Manty Home System fails, or is hindered. With Trevor's Star now in Manty hands and the lion's share of the Havenite fleet away fighting the battle of its life against an insanely fortified Home System, Paris is naked. The Peeps had to test the waters of Manty resistance by attacking piecemeal with a series of smaller engagements and mopping them up first. If they fail to mop up at least one engagement where they enjoyed the advantage in hulls, what motivates them to want to attack the home system? Surely things are much worse there. If Haven had won a few of those early skirmishes instead of getting sent home limping every time, they may have come to the decision they could take the Manties in one direct thrust. Or they may have found the balls to attack larger SKM bases. Heck, if a light cruiser did what it did to the Peep operation in the Basilisk System, what other fate would await them? Getting your eyes blackened in every single battle against an underweight opponent does not lend voice to your war cry.

I also never got the feeling the Peep "powers that be" were great strategic thinkers. I'm not talking about the Admiralty, but whoever was in power at the time. Beth always had faith in her navy, as did her father. I didn't see that on the Peep side.

At any rate, in light of the premise of this thread, it makes me wonder why the Peeps wasted itself on the proposition of taking Basilisk.

Even if both navies controlled the other's orbitals, who wins? He who has overwhelming strategic and tactical advantage. BUT! The Peeps had no reason to think they could quickly control the orbitals when each of the little skirmishes with "the little navy who could" in the fringes of space was NO indication, other than, "If I keep getting my ass kicked against any of their smaller brothers, what makes me think I can attack their bigger brothers at home?" I'm simply trying to step into the mindset of the Peeps.

If I can't win a single preseason game, how can I hope to win the Superbowl?

In a nutshell, they were afraid of what that relentless long-legged boogeyman would do to them at home. That fear got worse as time drew on. Case in point, BoM.

Late edit:

The mindset at the opening phase of the war was simply this . . .

"Attacking the heavily fortified home system of any of the Superpowers without game changing tech isn't much different than suicide by wormhole. Unless, to wit, we first attrit."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by kzt   » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:14 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

If you want to close the WH, you mine it and leave a squadron hanging around to pop anyone trying to clear them.

If your fear is fixed defenses then how exactly are you going to attrit them by skirmishing out where it didn't matter? That's the whole reason people build fixed defenses, so they will protect the site you built them to protect, not do what is trendy today. The forts will still be there waiting for you.

And with warnings they will deploy missile pods, mines, raise their readiness level, etc. All of which will make them a more difficult foe.

And note that in BoM the fixed defenses never engaged. Of course the RMN was so concerned about the threat that they didn't even start to evacuate the millions of people who live on their main naval bases because nobody would possibly target a critical military site like that, right?

Yeah, there is a reason why it's 'that awful book' for me.
Post by Garth 2   » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:49 pm

Garth 2
Captain of the List

To be honest the one bit that has always confused me in the opening stages of the war, from an SKM perspective, is why didn't the just smash Trevor Star first, then go after the other bases.

A single fleet, could of been dispatched with a suitable support units during the period between the Haven "surprise" attack and the SKM Parliament voting to go to war. If they decide not to go to war, there is more than enough time to send a courier through the junction to Trevor Star and then onto a "insignificant Star System", where the Fleet has been instructed to wait for a given period (allowing for travel time from Manticore etc.)
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:08 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:If you want to close the WH, you mine it and leave a squadron hanging around to pop anyone trying to clear them.

If your fear is fixed defenses then how exactly are you going to attrit them by skirmishing out where it didn't matter? That's the whole reason people build fixed defenses, so they will protect the site you built them to protect, not do what is trendy today. The forts will still be there waiting for you.

And with warnings they will deploy missile pods, mines, raise their readiness level, etc. All of which will make them a more difficult foe.

And note that in BoM the fixed defenses never engaged. Of course the RMN was so concerned about the threat that they didn't even start to evacuate the millions of people who live on their main naval bases because nobody would possibly target a critical military site like that, right?

Yeah, there is a reason why it's 'that awful book' for me.

I would sign off on that prescription of closing any other wormhole, except the one leading directly into the heart of my defenses. I wouldn't just lay mines, I'd make that a shit load of mines and quite a bit more than a single squadron or two to mind the store. Remember, unforeseen tech can quickly give you a bad day and again, iinm, Haven utilized no mines atall. If podlayers, MDMs, LACs and/or Apollo with its hellish ECM had been developed in the opening phases of the war, sending a large part of your navy off -- the long way around mind you -- to do battle would have been a strategic mistake. Especially if your opponent was thinking more in the terms of strategic island hopping. Today Trevor's Star, tomorrow Nouveau Paris. I'm not saying the Manties would have enjoyed things that easily if Haven had decided on a direct assault, but the Havenites had to bear that possibility in mind.

Also, anticipating everyone's rebuttal, if any of the later tech had been produced in the early stages of the war would have made it all a moot point anyway? Not necessarily. The SKM could have misstepped too, if only by the mere shenanigans of an ignorant government. There were way too many unknowns in the Home System.

The fear isn't only fixed defenses. Your fear is in going up against a healthy navy PLUS fixed defenses. Even the SLN wasn't that arrogant. They attacked because they thought one or more of the above was weakened. There are certain strategic realities one must accept until the very end. You don't want to hyper into a fully healthy system with a fully healthy navy who surmised a Case Zulu and recalled all forces via the MWJ. Losing a war/battle is much different than blowing a war/battle. Remember, the MWJ does give the SKM certain advantages. You cannot blame the SLN on the one hand for not being aware of those advantages and OTOH flog Haven for being aware of them. Remember, attacking your opponent's Home System puts the prospect of being the underdog on your shoulders.

Yes, with proper warning, fixed defenses will be beefed up. That's part of my initial argument hindering the Peep's operation had the Manties deduced what's coming.

And no, the fixed defenses never engaged at the BoM. What if they had? I always wanted to know what the outcome would have been if they had.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by kzt   » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:14 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:And no, the fixed defenses never engaged at the BoM. What if they had? I always wanted to know what the outcome would have been if they had.

Depends on whether David decided they have forts that day or not.
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:20 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Sigs wrote:I would keep enough of a picket to defend the Junction and ignore the inner system, leave some BB's and CA's to picket the inner system with a light screen. Anything the RMN sends over the Junction is slaughtered and anything they send the one way around is tied down for weeks and/or months considering it would have to be launched AFTER the surprise attack.

There are a lot of assumptions hidden within that notion. No Admiralty worth their weight in brass would bank on it. First, it is assuming the enemy is reacting instead of seizing the initiative. Weeks are meaningless if an enemy has already launched his plan, preceding yours by weeks, beating you to the punch. After all, the early bird gets the worm-hole. You have to put yourself in the hotseat of the man at the Admiralty gazing down into the holotank. You don't want to roll dice, you want to roll heads, or pods if you have them.

Sigs wrote:Manticore has to honour the threat that Trevor's Star represented to the Home System but they at the same time cannot and do not pose a significant threat to Trevor's Star through the Junction. If it is suicide for Haven to attack prepared defences through the Junction then it goes the same for the RMN.

The difference is that Manticore heavily fortified its end. The Peeps seemed to take Trevor's Star more lightly. Apparently they weren't too caught up worrying the RMN would roll the dice that way, but they couldn't afford to wholly bank on it on such an ambitious all or nothing attack, leaving the Hot Gates open to a traditional assault. Had the SKM seized Trevor's Star mere days before a Havenite surprise attack, where would that have left Haven?

Sigs wrote:The SKM had to go through a process that made surprise attacks highly unlikely. Haven did not have to worry too much about surprise attacks especially after all of the crap they had pulled. They could have stripped the entire nation of SD's save for Trevor's Star, the Capital System and a couple of other important systems and send the Rest to fight Manticore, they can expect a counter attack only once they start the war with the SKM. The RMN would not launch a counter attack if there is a massive concentration of RHN ships in the Alliance threatening every member system including Manticore.

You may be right of course, but the thing is, they couldn't bank on any of it to the tune of risking such a huge investment of forces and initiative. At any time Beth could have talked her government into a surprise attack of its own. Could have. You don't want the prospect of your over aggressive posture and your second guessing of the enemy to be the cause of spilling the blood of your loved ones on your hands because you failed to dot all "eyes" and cross all "tees."

Garth 2 wrote:To be honest the one bit that has always confused me in the opening stages of the war, from an SKM perspective, is why didn't the just smash Trevor Star first, then go after the other bases.

Can I get an Amen! Giving them an inside straight!

I'm shocked that everyone is concentrating on the weight advantage Haven held, but isn't considering the strategic advantage afforded Manticore with the MWJ. Interior lines of communication -- apparently weeks not months at all points even on the very fringes of space* -- advantages in mobility, strategic reach, logistics, etc., etc. The strategic advantages of the MWJ are much more significant than the credit being given. And, the RMN aren't in the business or habit of squandering its advantages. A calculated risk should at least be. . . calculated. A weight advantage simply isn't enough in the Honorverse, especially if you're not bearing gifts of new toys by your R&D teams. Foraker was wonderful, but she wasn't handing out tech that could load the bear before vacationing into Manty space. It was all she could do to keep up.

*Deduced by textev stating that mere weeks was enough to recall all freighters during Lacoon.

Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:04 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

drothgery wrote:
Sigs wrote:Haven was losing the first war because of political rather than military reasons. If the Coup had not happened chances are that Haven would have performed a lot better.

They would have performed better in the early stages for sure. But pretty much all the top Havenite commanders (both in the late 1st war era and the 2nd war) except Chin failed to achieve flag rank under the Legislaturalists because they weren't Legistlaturalists.

True. On the other hand we can't assume the top Havenite commanders we saw were all significantly better than the top Legislaturalists commanders from before the coup and purges.

Certainly White Haven had a hell of a lot of respect for Admiral Parnell's tactical abilities (after he extracted so much of the Peep's fleet from the ambush at Yeltsin) and he probably wasn't the only capable pre-revolution senior officer.

(Yeah some of their admirals are undoubtably sub par; in place due to political patronage. But the same could be said to some extent of the Manticoran fleet at that time)
Post by Silverwall   » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:58 pm

Silverwall
Captain (Junior Grade)

Garth 2 wrote:To be honest the one bit that has always confused me in the opening stages of the war, from an SKM perspective, is why didn't the just smash Trevor Star first, then go after the other bases.

A single fleet, could of been dispatched with a suitable support units during the period between the Haven "surprise" attack and the SKM Parliament voting to go to war. If they decide not to go to war, there is more than enough time to send a courier through the junction to Trevor Star and then onto a "insignificant Star System", where the Fleet has been instructed to wait for a given period (allowing for travel time from Manticore etc.)

The answer is in your own text. Because of politics there had been no declaration of war and the RMN had no strategic direction or mandate from the govt of the day for anything other than defensive actions. Even the occupation of the peep base after the battle of Hancock was a natural conterattack based of a defensive action. The navy was not authorised or funded to go off on a wild goose chase deep into enemy teritory.
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:45 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

One of my notions is terribly incomplete. . . .
cthia wrote:The fear isn't only fixed defenses. Your fear is in going up against a healthy navy PLUS fixed defenses.
PLUS any unknowns, e.g., FTL buoys that announce your every intention. And a shitload of mines getting in each others way, let alone yours. And forts on steroids. If you're arrogant enough to enter another man's abode, you better be sure of what you're doing. And you better be packing some serious heat. Assume he's packing, stacking and cracking jokes at the idiot giving him a chance to test his new toys and game plan.

We all know how long each BoM lasted. How long would it have lasted at the opening phase of the war with the tech that existed at the time? How long did White Haven's assault on Trevor's Star last? With his tech advantages! If Haven had rolled those particular dice and been fought to a stand still then lost Trevor's Star, and the forces sent to take Trevor's Star hypers in to support the expulsion of the Peeps in Manty space? What then? The fat lady sings in Cee Frac major.

Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:11 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Now everyone is finally understanding the strategic implications of the assasination of King Roger as a prelude to Haven's invasion of Trevor's Star. If the killing of the king hadn't given the fecal brained opposition an excuse to serve up the San Martinos on a Silver platter, the Manticoran alliance would have started the war with enormous "strategic depth" while Haven would have had negative strategic depth. RMN units could have been shifted from defense to offense to defense in mere hours. All of those worthless star systems that became fleet bases that required mobile units as well as fixed defenses would not have been needed. The RMN could have just sallied forth to sack a peep second echelon system then get back home well before any attack exploiting the diversion of ships from Manticore could be assembled. The batleships that were Haven's huge, strategic reserve would have been the primary targets along with any industrial assets that could be taken out without engaging serious fixed defenses. Transit, sack and atrit, transit, repeat as neccessary until Haven implodes.

All of this talk about compelling Queen Elizebeth, the Wendy Williams look alike, to surrender is conjuring up images similar to scenes in WE FEW.

Return to Honorverse