Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny, ThinksMarkedly and 94 guests

Phased Array Grasers?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Phased Array Grasers?
Post by Relax   » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:05 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:A sea skimming missile might not clear a ship's radar horizon until within 17.5 miles and at hypersonic speed it'll cover that distance in 16.5 seconds. (Though of course data-link from AWACs type assets can drastically extend the detection range against low flying targets)

The question is where the laser defense's limits are.

* If the ship needs time to get the lasers spun up and on target then additional tracking time beyond the laser's effective range might outweigh how quickly the RV will be moving. (Say it takes 10 seconds from initial detection until the laser can being firing and the target that's only seen 16.5 seconds from impact has a big advantage over the one that's seen more like twice that early.

* OTOH if the laser can fire with a couple seconds of target detection but has an effective engagement range of only 9 miles then the RV is better off because it'll slash through that range in roughly 1/4 the time of the hypersonic missile so the extra time to get ready to engage isn't important.

LASERS will always be on, just like all other electronics are always on and kept at a constant temperature. Ultimately that is all a laser is, another electronic device. Likewise if left on 24/7 they will last longer as well. No, just because they are on does not mean they are LASING. Not to mention once the system get implemented, the LASER will also be the detection and the painter of the object for superior vector control via laser inferometer.

Hitting the GO button till lasing will require ~1/4second or much less for the shields over the lenses to clear. The decision to fire will take far longer. Depending on arc, the mount may not even have to move as there will be enough focusing directional steering.

While water vapor hampers quite a few frequencies it does not stop all or even most which is why the LASERS being developed are wide, very wide spectrum.

And now I have talked about as much as I know regarding LASERS without pestering my brother in law... No this is not classified material. The knowledge is all about the techniques how it is built like any other high end tech in today's world...

PS: Biggest problem is C&C loop on the lasers, not concentrated power as one can literally have as many on a ship as there is power available which means we are talking MEGAWATTS of concentrated power. Even the highest refractive metals will melt and any RADAR or forward looking FLIR etc on the missile head will have long since been slagged.

PPS: The New ships have the power generation capacity to actually use this new tech when it finally comes of age.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Annachie   » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:49 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

To drag back to a different thread, it almost brings Battleships back into consideration.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Relax   » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:01 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:To drag back to a different thread, it almost brings Battleships back into consideration.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I would say this only happens if they can address the underwater torpedo/mine problem... (Requires hydrofoil tech if you asked me) Guns with RAMJET tech already beat the heck out of missiles. Can carry a LOT more of them with various warheads and they get there a LOT faster. Building cheap barrels that last next to forever with easy replacement was already perfected in the 80's and early 90's.

So, yes, with the advent of high powered LASERS for defense and even offense if you use dirigibles, the battleship can return with the above caveats.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax

Return to Honorverse