Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

Notes from Weber--SPOILER WARNING!!!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Notes from Weber--SPOILER WARNING!!!
Post by JeffEngel   » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:45 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

n7axw wrote:Then, too, why attack Erewhon? From Old Chicago's standpoint, Erewhon has not been on the event horizon, poses no real threat and is not particularly important. Most certainly they have their hands full dealing with what has already happened.

Don

The key thing is, the SLN can win only when they shoot unsuspecting people sharing an orbit with them with no defenses up. So! They MUST go find someone who has NO REASON to fear them and attack them! On to glorious victory!!! Take THAT, Erewhon! But don't ask why!
Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:54 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

snip

Then, too, why attack Erewhon? From Old Chicago's standpoint, Erewhon has not been on the event horizon, poses no real threat and is not particularly important.

Erewhon does have a wormhole that connects almost to the core, which represents a threat corridor, the same as they convinced themselves about Beowulf.

A largish battle-fleet presence (i.e. what Tsiang had) would help them sleep at night. At least until the GA came in from hyper and blew the fleet away, after all everyone knows where Erewhon is ( :roll: ).
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by n7axw   » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:30 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:snip

Then, too, why attack Erewhon? From Old Chicago's standpoint, Erewhon has not been on the event horizon, poses no real threat and is not particularly important.

Erewhon does have a wormhole that connects almost to the core, which represents a threat corridor, the same as they convinced themselves about Beowulf.

A largish battle-fleet presence (i.e. what Tsiang had) would help them sleep at night. At least until the GA came in from hyper and blew the fleet away, after all everyone knows where Erewhon is ( :roll: ).

I don't see the League attacking Erewhon. As for Beowulf and the wormhole, the operative point from the League's perspective is that the bogy-man is on the other side. Ehrewhon simply is not in that category.

Erewhon already has a significant battlefleet, although I am not aware of its numbers. And with Maya's patronage it will be building more, not just for Maya, but for itself.

I think that the most immediate danger Erewhon faces is not from the League, but from the Alignment.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by OrlandoNative   » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:55 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

kzt wrote:Sure, they might lose. But they need to do something anyhow, because they are losing now and the trajectory doesn't look promising.

One could easily point out this is also a strategy employed by many gamblers. I think it's called "throwing good money after bad". It doesn't work well at the gaming tables either.

The fact is that, in essence, the SL and the SLN has been the aggressor in all 3 major naval incidents so far - New Tuscany, Spindle, and now Manticore. Each time they lost - even though by "ship count" they shouldn't have.

At some point, it's going to break into someone's skull that set battles just aren't going to work. Actually, Kingston already knows this. His strategy, as proposed, isn't to raid major systems, but, in essence, do the same thing as Cutworm, but probably with battlecruisers and cruisers rather than wallers. The intent is to attack where there is little or no defenses. Erewhon does not fall into that category. Actually, except for some really unimportant systems in Haven, the annexed part of what used to be Silesia, and the Talbot Cluster outside of Spindle, there really *aren't* many "underdefended" places in the Alliance. And none where it would really *hurt* physically if attacked. Not that the psychological impact wouldn't be unsettling, but those systems infrastructure *could* be lost if necessary.

And, of course, once the first few were attacked, the obvious thing to do would be to take out *all* the FF basing infrastructure. And then move on to the BF bases. Fleets can't maintain battle status and capability without supply points, and repair and maintenance depots. Once they're gone, accumulated battle damage that can't be repaired will eventually render any ships that relied on them useless.

The SL can't do the same in return, because all the Alliance fleet bases have been on a war footing for *decades*; and have defenses already in place against attack - by modern units. Any defenses the SLN might have are laughable in comparison. And if they augment them with their wallers, they've just put all the fish into barrels for the Alliance to shoot.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by OrlandoNative   » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:04 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

Somtaaw wrote:
roseandheather wrote:That said, I very much doubt Warner or Alfredo would ever be pardoned. I elaborated on this in an earlier thread, but, however much she might wish to, Eloise can't pardon them. They did commit treason, and as a head of state, she cannot risk giving treason legitimacy.

With all that gloom and doom out of the way, however -- look at them just look at them they've found each other at last!!!

I believe she could pardon both our wayward Havenite-turned-Graysons, if she really wanted to. She couldn't prior to this latest revelation, but there are a LOT of former Legislaturalist admirals that turned coat and took service with Manticore.

Alfredo never actually committed treason, he asked for political sanctuary because he already knew he was going to be executed, simply for failing. Even though the Ambassador could have backed him up that it was Masada's instructions that caused the oeprations failure.

And Warner... well he's screwed, he didn't just get sanctuary he actively aided the enemy in time of war. Regardless of the actual circumstances.

There is also that minor fact that technically Theisman committed treason by overthrowing Saint-Just. And (sorry rose) Eloise is also riding the edge of treason. Not just as a freedom fighter Aprilist against the Legislaturalists, but in her 'failure' as a Commissioner.

So if the Havenites who turned traitor and joined Manticore in the timeframe between tSVW and HaE, are going to be able to "come home" to Haven and not be arrested and executed on the spot. Then the Havenites who joined Grayson could receive pardons too, if these treaties between Haven and Manticore get extended to include Grayson.

Actually, the exact definition of "treason" tends to depend on the current government.

One could argue that Thiesman and Pritchart committed "treason"; but against just whom or what? If you look at the old Legislaturist government, Pritchart might have, but not Thiesman. If you look at Pierre's government, then both. If you look at the current government of the Republic, then obviously they didn't, if only because they're the ones actually *running* it.

Treason committed against some previous government only continues to be so if the current government considers it the same way.
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:27 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

OrlandoNative wrote:Actually, the exact definition of "treason" tends to depend on the current government.

One could argue that Thiesman and Pritchart committed "treason"; but against just whom or what? If you look at the old Legislaturist government, Pritchart might have, but not Thiesman. If you look at Pierre's government, then both. If you look at the current government of the Republic, then obviously they didn't, if only because they're the ones actually *running* it.

Treason committed against some previous government only continues to be so if the current government considers it the same way.

A rebellion becomes a revolution when it succeeds.

But I think you are all missing a critical point here. Everything Tom and Eloise did was internal. Rebellion, yes; revolution, yes; but against the government, not the nation. They were fighting for the preservation of Haven, and while they did in fact conduct personal violence against members of its government, it was never violence against the nation itself.

Warner and Alfredo, in contrast, took up active service in a navy directly involved in active hostilities against Haven. Yes, they both had every reason in the world to do so, when all other choices had been ripped out of their hands. Yes, I believe Eloise understands precisely why they did it, and in fact is well aware that she owes a large part of the Grand Alliance to their actions. Does she understand it? Of course. Does she sympathise with them? Of course. Does she forgive them? Almost certainly.

But the inescapable fact is that Warner Caslet and Alfredo Yu engaged in active military hostilities as part of another nation's navy when that nation was in a state of war against the nation they had sworn to serve. And as President, Eloise can't pardon them. She simply can't. Because to do so would be to admit that such actions were not the very definition of treason, when, in fact, they are.

I love Warner. I love Alfredo. I love Eloise, and Tom, and even broken, battered, slowly healing Haven. But Alfredo's and Warner's situation is very different from those who pulled off the Theisman Coup, and cold political reality states that pardoning them would be an irretrievable sanction of something that no head of state could possibly afford to sanction.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by OrlandoNative   » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:50 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

n7axw wrote:
I think we can do a bit better than sheer speculation here. I am not sure about this, but I think we can do some guessing here based on the timing. So let's try. The first thing we know is that Crandall's and Filereta's fleets were assembled prior to the Battle of Monica. In Crandalls case, she had, IIRC, 72 SDs out in the Verge --MacIntosh, I think --- with purported purpose of demonstrating her fleet's ability to manage it's logistics. Crandall's fleet may well not have needed assembling. Given an active on duty number of 2000 SDs, it is not unthinkable to visualize her fleet as a permanent taskforce.

Filereta's fleet is a different matter. That fleet was obviously assembled for the occasion. 400 plus SDs is a different ball of wax than 72. In fact we have textev for the fact that it was being assembled right up to the moment Filereta took off for Manticore.

The point is that these two fleets were positioned as a part of a plan that the Alignment was executing through its proxies among whom we now know was Rajampet.

Tsang's situation is a lot more vague. I don't think that she was part of the original plan. My own notion is that Tsang's orders to Beowulf were born out of the Mandrains need to put Beowulf on the defensive in the Assembly in Chicago. Beowulf's refusal to allow Tsang passage through the junction accomplished that.

If I'm right about this, Tsang's inclusion happened late in the game. That means that there wouldn't have been near as much time to get her force together and on its way.

I see this as meaning two things. First, I suspect that Tsang's ships were already together as part of a permanet task force and thus did not need to be assembled. 100 SDs would not be an unreasonable number, using the same logic we used with Crandall's fleet.

The second thing it would have to mean is that Tsang and her fleet were immediately available to be dispatched. That means in the Sol system, presumably at the SLN fleet base at Mars.

Obviously I am speculating here, but I think it fits with how the story is lsid out in ART.

Don

The problem here is that we're really operating in a vacuum here. There's never been a star map of the SL published showing all the BF and FF bases. The only ones we know of are the ones so far explicitly mentioned, though we *do* know that they aren't the only ones. But we have no idea just where those other ones are located.

We know BF has a base orbiting Mars. We know FF has a base at Tasmania, since from various textual sources it would appear the FF model is to have ships permanently based in sector capital systems with roving task forces patrolling the rest of the sector systems. We don't know whether each sector main base is similar, but I would guess not, since I doubt the Meyers system could have accommodated 400+ wallers for the length of time Tasmania apparently did.

The point I've been trying to make all along is that we can't read into the story things that haven't been said. Or, at least, can't take them as facts, not theories. Tsang certainly *could* have come from the base off Mars; but she equally could have come from some other base, possibly even closer to Beowulf. We just don't know. Simply saying "Tsang came from Mars" doesn't make it so.

As for numbers of ships, again, you may or may not be correct. True, with count of active SD's in service of 2000+; it would seem like 100 isn't a huge percentage; but there's actually some question as to whether the SLN really *has* a "fleet mentality" to begin with. It's documented that the SLN has never fought an actual war. So, at most, it's "fleet" has only really clashed in war games and simulations. A few actual pirates or maybe an occasional single star system out on the verge. It would appear, from textual evidence, that the *usual* SLN structure are "task groups"; with smaller numbers of ships. Eg the 6 battlecruisers in Pyun's "fleet". Crandall's fleet had at least 3 task groups, and Byng's had 3 as well, I believe it said. So it would appear the "normal" structure for battlecruisers is around 6 together, and, for SD's, somewhere on the order of 20-25. Given SLN history to date, and the sheer number of systems within SL territory (and the protectorates) that should conceivably be patrolled, that seems a more reasonable breakdown than 100 or so at a pop.

While I would agree that the idea of including Tsang in the offensive against Mantecore probably occurred *after* the initial positioning of Filereta, I'm not sure exactly how much we can conclude from that. To the rest of the SLN, the location of Filereta's ships was merely coincidence. Only Rajani knew *why* he was really there. I don't think Filereta did until he received his attack orders. I suppose he *could* have done something similar with Tsang, and just only "tied the two together" after the decision to attack Manticore was agreed upon.

Again, how all this plays against where Tsang actually started from is speculation. Obviously, the "secret" part of her orders had to be issued *after* Kingsford's representative got back from the talks with Beowulf, since Beowulf's official position wasn't known prior to the talks. However, any travel time between systems in the core was much less than the travel time for Filereta from Tasmania to Manticore. Also, while the Alliance was implementing Lancoon II, I would suspect that most wormholes within the core were, at this point, unreachable by the Alliance, so it's likely Tsang could - and would - have utilized any that might have shortened her travel time. Since her flight prior to arrival at the Beowulf system isn't documented, we don't know.

So there's really little about Tsang, her origin, or her ships that we really definitely know.
Last edited by OrlandoNative on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by OrlandoNative   » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:13 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

roseandheather wrote:
But the inescapable fact is that Warner Caslet and Alfredo Yu engaged in active military hostilities as part of another nation's navy when that nation was in a state of war against the nation they had sworn to serve. And as President, Eloise can't pardon them. She simply can't. Because to do so would be to admit that such actions were not the very definition of treason, when, in fact, they are.

I love Warner. I love Alfredo. I love Eloise, and Tom, and even broken, battered, slowly healing Haven. But Alfredo's and Warner's situation is very different from those who pulled off the Theisman Coup, and cold political reality states that pardoning them would be an irretrievable sanction of something that no head of state could possibly afford to sanction.

I think there's a question of outlook here. In general, I would agree that a blanket pardon of treasonous activity isn't something one could condone.

That said, in most militaries, one's oath of service is sworn not to an individual, or even the elected government; but usually to the document that the government is allegedly based on. For the US, it's the Constitution.

It's at least conceivable that one could end up acting in support of one's oath, yet be acting against the *government* of one's own nation. The question at that point would be is such an action really against the interests of the *nation*, or just it's current leaders?

Is the "collateral damage" done on the way acceptable?

Good questions.

Yu even noted that the Republic, at the time he took a position with the GSN, "wasn't the same Republic as the one I gave my oath to". So just which entity committed "treason" first?
Post by OrlandoNative   » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:40 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

JeffEngel wrote:
n7axw wrote:Then, too, why attack Erewhon? From Old Chicago's standpoint, Erewhon has not been on the event horizon, poses no real threat and is not particularly important. Most certainly they have their hands full dealing with what has already happened.

Don

The key thing is, the SLN can win only when they shoot unsuspecting people sharing an orbit with them with no defenses up. So! They MUST go find someone who has NO REASON to fear them and attack them! On to glorious victory!!! Take THAT, Erewhon! But don't ask why!

I doubt any civilian or military leadership anywhere else in the galaxy at this point is as stupid as that of the Sollies. If they see more than one Solly warship translate out of hyper near their star system, they'd probably go on their equivalent of "Red Alert". Certainly anyone in the GA; and, almost as certainly, anyone *associated* with anyone in the GA.

I suspect that if any group of SLN warships not positively known to be associated with Maya showed up at Erewon's hyper limit, they'd be treated as hostile.

There might be star systems that are *unprepared* to attempt to repel an SLN invasion, but I doubt any are "unsuspecting" at this point.
Post by n7axw   » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:30 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

OrlandoNative wrote:
n7axw wrote:
I think we can do a bit better than sheer speculation here. I am not sure about this, but I think we can do some guessing here based on the timing. So let's try. The first thing we know is that Crandall's and Filereta's fleets were assembled prior to the Battle of Monica. In Crandalls case, she had, IIRC, 72 SDs out in the Verge --MacIntosh, I think --- with purported purpose of demonstrating her fleet's ability to manage it's logistics. Crandall's fleet may well not have needed assembling. Given an active on duty number of 2000 SDs, it is not unthinkable to visualize her fleet as a permanent taskforce.

Filereta's fleet is a different matter. That fleet was obviously assembled for the occasion. 400 plus SDs is a different ball of wax than 72. In fact we have textev for the fact that it was being assembled right up to the moment Filereta took off for Manticore.

The point is that these two fleets were positioned as a part of a plan that the Alignment was executing through its proxies among whom we now know was Rajampet.

Tsang's situation is a lot more vague. I don't think that she was part of the original plan. My own notion is that Tsang's orders to Beowulf were born out of the Mandrains need to put Beowulf on the defensive in the Assembly in Chicago. Beowulf's refusal to allow Tsang passage through the junction accomplished that.

If I'm right about this, Tsang's inclusion happened late in the game. That means that there wouldn't have been near as much time to get her force together and on its way.

I see this as meaning two things. First, I suspect that Tsang's ships were already together as part of a permanet task force and thus did not need to be assembled. 100 SDs would not be an unreasonable number, using the same logic we used with Crandall's fleet.

The second thing it would have to mean is that Tsang and her fleet were immediately available to be dispatched. That means in the Sol system, presumably at the SLN fleet base at Mars.

Obviously I am speculating here, but I think it fits with how the story is lsid out in ART.

Don

The problem here is that we're really operating in a vacuum here. There's never been a star map of the SL published showing all the BF and FF bases. The only ones we know of are the ones so far explicitly mentioned, though we *do* know that they aren't the only ones. But we have no idea just where those other ones are located.

We know BF has a base orbiting Mars. We know FF has a base at Tasmania, since from various textual sources it would appear the FF model is to have ships permanently based in sector capital systems with roving task forces patrolling the rest of the sector systems. We don't know whether each sector main base is similar, but I would guess not, since I doubt the Meyers system could have accommodated 400+ wallers for the length of time Tasmania apparently did.

The point I've been trying to make all along is that we can't read into the story things that haven't been said. Or, at least, can't take them as facts, not theories. Tsang certainly *could* have come from the base off Mars; but she equally could have come from some other base, possibly even closer to Beowulf. We just don't know. Simply saying "Tsang came from Mars" doesn't make it so.

As for numbers of ships, again, you may or may not be correct. True, with count of active SD's in service of 2000+; it would seem like 100 isn't a huge percentage; but there's actually some question as to whether the SLN really *has* a "fleet mentality" to begin with. It's documented that the SLN has never fought an actual war. So, at most, it's "fleet" has only really clashed in war games and simulations. A few actual pirates or maybe an occasional single star system out on the verge. It would appear, from textual evidence, that the *usual* SLN structure are "task groups"; with smaller numbers of ships. Eg the 6 battlecruisers in Pyun's "fleet". Crandall's fleet had at least 3 task groups, and Byng's had 3 as well, I believe it said. So it would appear the "normal" structure for battlecruisers is around 6 together, and, for SD's, somewhere on the order of 20-25. Given SLN history to date, and the sheer number of systems within SL territory (and the protectorates) that should conceivably be patrolled, that seems a more reasonable breakdown than 100 or so at a pop.

While I would agree that the idea of including Tsang in the offensive against Mantecore probably occurred *after* the initial positioning of Filereta, I'm not sure exactly how much we can conclude from that. To the rest of the SLN, the location of Filereta's ships was merely coincidence. Only Rajani knew *why* he was really there. I don't think Filereta did until he received his attack orders. I suppose he *could* have done something similar with Tsang, and just only "tied the two together" after the decision to attack Manticore was agreed upon.

Again, how all this plays against where Tsang actually started from is speculation. Obviously, the "secret" part of her orders had to be issued *after* Kingsford's representative got back from the talks with Beowulf, since Beowulf's official position wasn't known prior to the talks. However, any travel time between systems in the core was much less than the travel time for Filereta from Tasmania to Manticore. Also, while the Alliance was implementing Lancoon II, I would suspect that most wormholes within the core were, at this point, unreachable by the Alliance, so it's likely Tsang could - and would - have utilized any that might have shortened her travel time. Since her flight prior to arrival at the Beowulf system isn't documented, we don't know.

So there's really little about Tsang, her origin, or her ships that we really definitely know.

You are right that we cannot know. But on the other hand, please note in my post the consistent use of words like "suspect," "guess" and "speculate." I don't claim to know. And guessing and speculating is what we do here. My only claim is that my speculating and guessing seems to fit with the story line.

I'm not even claiming that there might not be alternative and even better takes on this than mine! :D

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Honorverse