Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 41 guests

Promotion for CWO Harkness

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Future assignments
Post by n7axw   » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:12 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:Here's a scary thought Harkness and Scotty as instructors at the RMNA-SI. Scotty can teach LAC tactics while Harkness can teach computer forensics.

You mean how to manage your assignments by hacking the computers at BuPers???

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Re: Promotion for CWO Harkness
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:56 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

more likely how to tell if someone is hacking bupes or perhapes more importantly BuPlan or BuLogistics.

given how much superior manty hardware is it must be worth a fortune on the blackmarket or to a solly transteller like technodyne
Post by Ensign Re-read   » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:53 am

Ensign Re-read
Commodore

OK, here's my two-cents (2¢):

I expect that stashed away in Harkness' file (AND his wife's) is some sort of a contingency order or authorization. The details are of course entirely up to DW; I envision it as something like...

* If all the officers are dead,
* If Harkeness ever says yes,
* If someone like Elvis Santino should ever be placed in charge above Harkness,
* you name the scenario ad infinitum...

This E-paperwork here is the pre-approved BuPers Packet to elevate one, the other, or both of them the rank of Xxxxxxx. The office who activates this plan has the authority to increase the ranks to Xxxxxxx+2.

That's a piece of my fantasy, and I'm sticking with it.

=====
The Celestia "addon" for the Planet Safehold as well as the Kau-zhi and Manticore A-B star systems, are at URL:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/weber/.
=====
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68506297@N ... 740128635/
=====
Post by stewart   » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:06 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Ensign Re-read wrote:OK, here's my two-cents (2¢):

I expect that stashed away in Harkness' file (AND his wife's) is some sort of a contingency order or authorization. The details are of course entirely up to DW; I envision it as something like...

* If all the officers are dead,
* If Harkeness ever says yes,
* If someone like Elvis Santino should ever be placed in charge above Harkness,
* you name the scenario ad infinitum...

This E-paperwork here is the pre-approved BuPers Packet to elevate one, the other, or both of them the rank of Xxxxxxx. The office who activates this plan has the authority to increase the ranks to Xxxxxxx+2.

That's a piece of my fantasy, and I'm sticking with it.

----------------

We all have our fantasies --
Personally, I think Operation Thunderbolt cleared a lot of political admirals and captains out; White Haven's administrative broom and the Montaigne files from Mesa's Earth offices got most of the remainder.

-- Stewart
Post by Charybdis   » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:11 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

Fox2! wrote:Kytheros wrote:
Do we have actual confirmation that being a Colonel of the Marines goes away? Or just that only somebody in the right range of ranks can initially receive it?

I will remind everyone that since RFC has modeled Manticore upon Great Britain (GB), notice should be taken that the current Monarch, Queen Elizabeth II, has the official rank of "Colonel-in-Chief" of the "Life Guards" and other GB military units. HRH Prince Charles and others in the Royal Family (who ARE NOT ON ACTIVE DUTY) also have 'Colonel' titles. So there is that tradition that would probably be inherited by Manticore.
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by saber964   » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:53 pm

saber964
Admiral

Charybdis" quote="Fox2! wrote:Kytheros wrote:
Do we have actual confirmation that being a Colonel of the Marines goes away? Or just that only somebody in the right range of ranks can initially receive it?

I will remind everyone that since RFC has modeled Manticore upon Great Britain (GB), notice should be taken that the current Monarch, Queen Elizabeth II, has the official rank of "Colonel-in-Chief" of the "Life Guards" and other GB military units. HRH Prince Charles and others in the Royal Family (who ARE NOT ON ACTIVE DUTY) also have 'Colonel' titles. So there is that tradition that would probably be inherited by Manticore.[/quote]

Prince Charles and Prince Andrew are on the retired list as a captains in the RN. Also QEII is also a retired driver for the Royal Medical Corp(R).
Post by Dafmeister   » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:04 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

saber964 wrote:Prince Charles and Prince Andrew are on the retired list as a captains in the RN. Also QEII is also a retired driver for the Royal Medical Corp(R).

That brings to mind a story I'm rather fond of concerning a visit by the previous King of Saudi Arabia to Balmoral, the Queen's estate in Scotland. One morning, the Royal party were going out to tour the estate and a convoy of Land Rovers pulled up at the entrance to the castle. The King was shown into the front passenger seat of one and was rather perturbed when the Queen climbed into the driver's seat beside him, women driving being illegal in Saudi Arabia. To make matters worse, having been taught to drive by the Army during the war, Her Majesty's style of driving could, perhaps, be characterised as 'vigourous' and she proceeded to hurl the Landy down the narrow country lanes of the estate in a rather alarming fashion.

Warms the cockles of my monarchist heart, that one does.
Post by PalmerSperry   » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:22 pm

PalmerSperry
Commander

Dafmeister wrote:That brings to mind a story I'm rather fond of concerning a visit by the previous King of Saudi Arabia to Balmoral, the Queen's estate in Scotland. One morning, the Royal party were going out to tour the estate and a convoy of Land Rovers pulled up at the entrance to the castle. The King was shown into the front passenger seat of one and was rather perturbed when the Queen climbed into the driver's seat beside him, women driving being illegal in Saudi Arabia. To make matters worse, having been taught to drive by the Army during the war, Her Majesty's style of driving could, perhaps, be characterised as 'vigourous' and she proceeded to hurl the Landy down the narrow country lanes of the estate in a rather alarming fashion.

There's another story in which a tour bus driver on one of the narrow roads near Balmoral meets a Landie coming the other way. They both stop and look at each other briefly, whereupon the bus driver opens his window and yells "Do you think you own the road or something?" ... and only then realises that in this specific case the answer could well be "Yes!".
Post by saber964   » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:40 pm

saber964
Admiral

Dafmeister wrote:
saber964 wrote:Prince Charles and Prince Andrew are on the retired list as a captains in the RN. Also QEII is also a retired driver for the Royal Medical Corp(R).

That brings to mind a story I'm rather fond of concerning a visit by the previous King of Saudi Arabia to Balmoral, the Queen's estate in Scotland. One morning, the Royal party were going out to tour the estate and a convoy of Land Rovers pulled up at the entrance to the castle. The King was shown into the front passenger seat of one and was rather perturbed when the Queen climbed into the driver's seat beside him, women driving being illegal in Saudi Arabia. To make matters worse, having been taught to drive by the Army during the war, Her Majesty's style of driving could, perhaps, be characterised as 'vigourous' and she proceeded to hurl the Landy down the narrow country lanes of the estate in a rather alarming fashion.

Warms the cockles of my monarchist heart, that one does.

You should see the way Saudi's drive, the number one killer is traffic accidents. I witnessed an accident were a Saudi in a hot pink Vanquish hit the only palm tree(the only anything) for twenty miles doing 120 mph.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:45 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:

You should see the way Saudi's drive, the number one killer is traffic accidents. I witnessed an accident were a Saudi in a hot pink Vanquish hit the only palm tree(the only anything) for twenty miles doing 120 mph.

I take it that the gene pool was appropriately purged so that the driver's idiocy was not passed on to the next generation?

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Honorverse