Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests

The roof and belly of a ship is naked... here's a fix.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The roof and belly of a ship is naked... here's a fix.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:
MAD-4A wrote:...your fleet is engaging an enemy fleet in a running battle...
"RUNNING ENGAGMENT" did I realy have to say "AT SHORT RANGE" not sniping from across the system. As battles, progress fleets tend to close range (unless someone decides they don't want to play anymore). also I forgot to mention my SD redirect there fire (just before detatching) at your screen (anyway thats what I would've targeted to begin with - target the closet ship that can return fire) of-course in the opening salvos where I'm still out of your DD missile range I would ignore them, but as soon as you're screan ships begin firing back I would blow them to scrap (easyer targets, remove their threat quick & you have both less throw weight back at me & less PD to cover ships further in - the exception would be in situation where I'm sure my shots are going to hurt your big boys - like 2nd New Tuscany & Spindle! :twisted: )
Unless this fight is happening before SD(P) and MDMs, podnaughts tend to run out of ammo and break off the fight long before a fight moves to anything you could call 'close range'.

And at that point I guess any remaining BC of your could try to rush across the remaining gap to reach energy range of the opponents wall. But if your SD(P) are also out of ammo (likely) then the opponents wall is free to maneuver against your BCs. Attempting to exchanging energy range fire between SD(P)s and BC won't got well for you...
Post by Rakhmamort   » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:34 pm

Rakhmamort
Captain (Junior Grade)

Grashtel wrote:The ship's hull form is determined by the physics of the impeller drive, Warsahwski sails, and compensator. There is some flexibility but current warships are pretty much at the optimum configuration with any departure from that resulting in a loss of performance.

lol. isn't that such a sweeping generalization? merchant and warship shapes are different because of their function but they both use the same propulsion technology. the larger volume of ship for merchies inside less powerful wedges (compared to warships).

fleet supply colliers are shaped much like merchies but they can keep up with warships.

LACs also use the same propulsion technology and the new generation LACs don't have the hammerhead design of vintage LACs.

none of the 3 mentioned ship types are restricted in their shapes because of their propulsion systems.

the only thing I can think of why the hammerheads are there is to put heavily armored areas in the most vulnerable aspects of the wedge where sidewalls can't be installed (though they are installing sidewalls for them now).

since you can put any shape in between the ship's wedge, then there is no reason why warships cannot be thinner and wider.
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:52 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Rakhmamort wrote:
Grashtel wrote:The ship's hull form is determined by the physics of the impeller drive, Warsahwski sails, and compensator. There is some flexibility but current warships are pretty much at the optimum configuration with any departure from that resulting in a loss of performance.

lol. isn't that such a sweeping generalization? merchant and warship shapes are different because of their function but they both use the same propulsion technology. the larger volume of ship for merchies inside less powerful wedges (compared to warships).

Merchant ships are no larger than the largest warship in physical dimensions. Warships have much more powerful impeller nodes*, which is why they have a higher acceleration rate. Tonnage when referring to Honorverse ships is based on displacement tonnage, and not weight.

Rakhmamort wrote:fleet supply colliers are shaped much like merchies but they can keep up with warships.

Because they have the same military-grade impellers* as regular warships.

Rakhmamort wrote:LACs also use the same propulsion technology and the new generation LACs don't have the hammerhead design of vintage LACs.

none of the 3 mentioned ship types are restricted in their shapes because of their propulsion systems.

Yes, they are restricted. You're just not seeing it - all three are cylindrical in shape. Merchies are even closer to a true cylinder than warships because they don't have broadside armor. The reason warships are wider than they are tall is because of the several meters (occasionally into double-digit thickness) of armor added to the base cylindrical shape, with very little to *no* armor on the dorsal and ventral surfaces.

I think my Fearless mesh has the top and bottom "armor" at around 10-20cm, whereas the broadside is something like four meters thick.

Rakhmamort wrote:the only thing I can think of why the hammerheads are there is to put heavily armored areas in the most vulnerable aspects of the wedge where sidewalls can't be installed (though they are installing sidewalls for them now).{/quote]

Correct for everything except the sidewalls. They are "bucklers", that only have the same dimensions as the ship itself when seen from one end or the other. I don't recall if they've made full-size fore and aft sidewalls for larger ships, because then the ship cannot accelerate when either end of the wedge is closed off.

Rakhmamort wrote:since you can put any shape in between the ship's wedge, then there is no reason why warships cannot be thinner and wider.

As I said before, the ships are not all that different in that they are all cylindrical in shape. What you are forgetting is something that Grashtel mentioned that you didn't touch on at all, and that is *the compensator. A ship's inertial compensator encloses the ship in a cylindrical field not much bigger than the widest part of the ship itself. Note that no warship hammerhead is either wider or taller than the dimensions of the main hull.

That said, my guess would be that the compensator field extends a few meters above and below the ship, but again, no more than the ships largest non-length dimension, which is why you can have something like the "conning tower" on the top of the ship (or the boat bay observation/backup control room on the bottom) still enclosed within the field.

Compensators are also another reason why military ships have better accel than merchies - milspec compensators are more powerful (which = much more expensive) than civilian-grade compensators. Same for fleet colliers. They also have milspec compensators.
Post by Rakhmamort   » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:25 am

Rakhmamort
Captain (Junior Grade)

MaxxQ wrote:
Merchant ships are no larger than the largest warship in physical dimensions. Warships have much more powerful impeller nodes*, which is why they have a higher acceleration rate. Tonnage when referring to Honorverse ships is based on displacement tonnage, and not weight.

Yes, they are restricted. You're just not seeing it - all three are cylindrical in shape. Merchies are even closer to a true cylinder than warships because they don't have broadside armor. The reason warships are wider than they are tall is because of the several meters (occasionally into double-digit thickness) of armor added to the base cylindrical shape, with very little to *no* armor on the dorsal and ventral surfaces.

I think my Fearless mesh has the top and bottom "armor" at around 10-20cm, whereas the broadside is something like four meters thick.

Correct for everything except the sidewalls. They are "bucklers", that only have the same dimensions as the ship itself when seen from one end or the other. I don't recall if they've made full-size fore and aft sidewalls for larger ships, because then the ship cannot accelerate when either end of the wedge is closed off.

As I said before, the ships are not all that different in that they are all cylindrical in shape. What you are forgetting is something that Grashtel mentioned that you didn't touch on at all, and that is *the compensator. A ship's inertial compensator encloses the ship in a cylindrical field not much bigger than the widest part of the ship itself. Note that no warship hammerhead is either wider or taller than the dimensions of the main hull.

That said, my guess would be that the compensator field extends a few meters above and below the ship, but again, no more than the ships largest non-length dimension, which is why you can have something like the "conning tower" on the top of the ship (or the boat bay observation/backup control room on the bottom) still enclosed within the field.

Compensators are also another reason why military ships have better accel than merchies - milspec compensators are more powerful (which = much more expensive) than civilian-grade compensators. Same for fleet colliers. They also have milspec compensators.

Impeller drive vessels are flattened double ended spindle shaped, not necessarily cylinders. The only restrictions are fitting the hull between the two wedges, and if your hypothesis is true, fitting it inside the compensator field.

Re: inside the wedge, making the ship thinner is a plus in fitting it between the wedges. not an issue.

Re: compensator field, do note that the suggestion to change the shape of the hull to have more area on the top/bottom sides are for smaller vessels. Since they can build compensator fields that can cover super dreadnought sized hulls, then it's a trivial exercise to put one around cruiser sized hulls.

I'm just pointing out here that there is no reason why making the hull form wider and less tall is a design impossibility.
Post by kzt   » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:42 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Rakhmamort wrote:Re: compensator field, do note that the suggestion to change the shape of the hull to have more area on the top/bottom sides are for smaller vessels. Since they can build compensator fields that can cover super dreadnought sized hulls, then it's a trivial exercise to put one around cruiser sized hulls.

I'm just pointing out here that there is no reason why making the hull form wider and less tall is a design impossibility.

Yes you can. One of the old Peep BCs had a deliberately oversize compensator. (I think it was the Mars-B) However it costs more, takes up more space, requires more maintenance, more power, etc and (again IIRC) was provided to allow towing massive (for the time) pod loads.

However David has been pretty coy with the actual design constraints on ships, so don't assume that just because it "makes sense" to you that it really would work in the Honorverse.
Post by Browne   » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:58 am

Browne
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Rakhmamort wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:

Impeller drive vessels are flattened double ended spindle shaped, not necessarily cylinders. The only restrictions are fitting the hull between the two wedges, and if your hypothesis is true, fitting it inside the compensator field.

Re: inside the wedge, making the ship thinner is a plus in fitting it between the wedges. not an issue.

Re: compensator field, do note that the suggestion to change the shape of the hull to have more area on the top/bottom sides are for smaller vessels. Since they can build compensator fields that can cover super dreadnought sized hulls, then it's a trivial exercise to put one around cruiser sized hulls.

I don't think you can't install a SD compensator on a CA and change the shape of the CA. I have always understood it as the compensator field is a factor of the Impeller rings size and placement. A CA sized rings form a CA sized compensator field. I am not saying that the Impeller rings makes the compensator field just that the relationship of the Impeller rings help form the geometry of the field.
Post by Browne   » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:02 am

Browne
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

kzt wrote:
Rakhmamort wrote:Re: compensator field, do note that the suggestion to change the shape of the hull to have more area on the top/bottom sides are for smaller vessels. Since they can build compensator fields that can cover super dreadnought sized hulls, then it's a trivial exercise to put one around cruiser sized hulls.

Yes you can. One of the old Peep BCs had a deliberately oversize compensator. (I think it was the Mars-B) However it costs more, takes up more space, requires more maintenance, more power, etc and (again IIRC) was provided to allow towing massive (for the time) pod loads.

However David has been pretty coy with the actual design constraints on ships, so don't assume that just because it "makes sense" to you that it really would work in the Honorverse.

I think it was a over powered impeller and they were hoping to get a more efficient compensator from capture equipment.
Post by Rakhmamort   » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:44 am

Rakhmamort
Captain (Junior Grade)

Browne wrote:I don't think you can't install a SD compensator on a CA and change the shape of the CA. I have always understood it as the compensator field is a factor of the Impeller rings size and placement. A CA sized rings form a CA sized compensator field. I am not saying that the Impeller rings makes the compensator field just that the relationship of the Impeller rings help form the geometry of the field.

Wider body ----> larger hammerhead ----> impeller ring placement difference?
Post by Dafmeister   » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:51 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

Browne wrote:I think it was a over powered impeller and they were hoping to get a more efficient compensator from capture equipment.

That's exactly it. The Mars-class was an oversized heavy cruiser (100,000+ tons bigger than a Sag-C, IIRC), but the strength of its impeller wedge meant it was often mistaken for a battlecruiser on gravitic sensors.
Post by munroburton   » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:46 am

munroburton
Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:
MAD-4A wrote:...your fleet is engaging an enemy fleet in a running battle...
"RUNNING ENGAGMENT" did I realy have to say "AT SHORT RANGE" not sniping from across the system. As battles, progress fleets tend to close range (unless someone decides they don't want to play anymore). also I forgot to mention my SD redirect there fire (just before detatching) at your screen (anyway thats what I would've targeted to begin with - target the closet ship that can return fire) of-course in the opening salvos where I'm still out of your DD missile range I would ignore them, but as soon as you're screan ships begin firing back I would blow them to scrap (easyer targets, remove their threat quick & you have both less throw weight back at me & less PD to cover ships further in - the exception would be in situation where I'm sure my shots are going to hurt your big boys - like 2nd New Tuscany & Spindle! :twisted: )

How do you reconcile that idea with what actually happened at the Battles of Manticore? None of the wallers came closer than SDM range, never mind energy range.

This will nearly always be true, as the defending force will start well in-system, away from the hyper limit - where the attacker obviously starts. Moreover, no admiral wants to lead his podnaughts or CLACs into energy range.

One of the early war battles, when the Peeps staged a botched ambush at Nightingale for White Haven, should demonstrate how hard it is for enemy forces to close and how easier it is for them to break apart. Apocrypha from Fourth Yeltsin confirms this as well - Parnell got half his fleet out despite being trapped as well as Filareta was(with a vastly smaller tech imbalance).

Return to Honorverse