Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests

Detweiler and Sons

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Detweiler and Sons
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:44 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Probably the youngest child, who is supposed to be the favorite anyways, yet he is only the youngest by alphabet.
I don't think we actually know whether all 6 clones were done in a single batch or if they got spread out over time like more common siblings. There could well be years of difference in their ages. (Which would make the youngest youngest by more than just alphabet; or by a matter of minutes)

Still that's an aside from your point - and we just don't know about about specifically how they were raise or what they're like now to accurately guess how likely real conflict over control of the Onion might be.
Post by cthia   » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:Probably the youngest child, who is supposed to be the favorite anyways, yet he is only the youngest by alphabet.
I don't think we actually know whether all 6 clones were done in a single batch or if they got spread out over time like more common siblings. There could well be years of difference in their ages. (Which would make the youngest youngest by more than just alphabet; or by a matter of minutes)

Still that's an aside from your point - and we just don't know about about specifically how they were raise or what they're like now to accurately guess how likely real conflict over control of the Onion might be.

Good point. And I've wondered about that same thing myself and meant to bring it up. I have a house full of company through New Years and my brain is over worked and time in short supply. At any rate, glad you covered my flank.

My guess would be a single batch simply because Detweiler would want to get on with their education. Delaying the "birth" by years also delays the process of indoctrination by the same measure and I cannot come up with a single good reason to delay and many NOT to.

Too much difference in ages also introduces too much of the human element of favoritism. How can you not favor the youngest, cutest little Hitler? "Awww, isn't he so cute honey. He even likes playing with swastikas." And when you are an offspring and born at the same time, you probably wouldn't feel the natural resentment of a new birth and the jealousy of replacement/displacement.

Also, indoctrinating them all separately at different intellectual levels that are normally indicative with different ages is needlessly more work and less effective or efficient. And different assimilation of teachings (inherent with different ages) is not exactly the epitome of the successful emotional and intellectual cloning, where the indoctrination part of the cloning is more important.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:03 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Given Cthia's points, if there is any sibling rivalry or point of contention, I think it will come from the least known of the clones, the 1st 3 (and possibly the 4th) were assigned to specific research areas and were confidants to Albrecht and his version of the Detweiler vision, I can't recall if there was any textev as to the functions the last 2 or 3 were assigned to.

And if there is an age gap, as suggested by Jonathan_S, there could also be problems between the youngest sibling and the children of the eldest sibling.

Just a random thought.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Annachie   » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:50 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Re aircar accidents.

It is a bit like driverles cars in Germany vs driverless cars in Cuba.
Or even a mixture of both at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:40 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:Given Cthia's points, if there is any sibling rivalry or point of contention, I think it will come from the least known of the clones, the 1st 3 (and possibly the 4th) were assigned to specific research areas and were confidants to Albrecht and his version of the Detweiler vision, I can't recall if there was any textev as to the functions the last 2 or 3 were assigned to.

And if there is an age gap, as suggested by Jonathan_S, there could also be problems between the youngest sibling and the children of the eldest sibling.

Just a random thought.

Absolutely. I concur, as evident in one of my posts upstream regarding the youngest (by age and or alphabet) Hitler who possibly feels neglected and inferior by being the last—a feeling that is not only quite common amongst the youngest sibling(s) amongst many but natural.

Even though each son has his own specialty does not negate from the fact that he is an Alpha. Detweiler had his own specialty as well, but that does not negate from the fact that he was an Alpha and was still qualified to act as Alpha One. And his specialty was not the specialty of his proposed replacement.

Which leads to my assumption that theoretically, either son has the natural ability to assume Alpha One. It isn't as if Detweiler compartmentalized his love for each child, therefore the information departed unto them all. That in itself would serve to undermine the others conformity out of jealousy. Detweiler had six clones so that he could have six understudies. Let us not forget that each of them is an Alpha.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Upstream, phillies mentioned his feeling that there may be daughters of Evelina. As stated, personally I'd be surprised.

Yet if there are daughters and Evelina did not carry the sons naturally then the sons and the daughters are in no way blood related and thus there wouldn't be any incest if they married.

A son and a daughter can marry for the prestige and power. It is said...
Behind every successful man stands a woman telling him when he is wrong... :lol:

And also stoking his ambition.

Post by Brigade XO   » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:17 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

So if male clones and female clones who are all from the same "donor" individual were to have children together, you don't think that would be considered Incest? We, this is the Detweilers we are talking about and centuries of tinkering with the human genome so, from the stand point of the Alighment, the child would "just" be another experiment.

On the other hand, if you have the ability to clone an individual and make both male and female copies---you are probably going to start running into any number of potential genetic problems, at a higher rate than if you had "normal" brothers and sisters having children together. Would depend greatly on what was done to the embryo to identify and correct problems.

Is it possible that Albrect already had a contingency plan in-place for order of succession? Sure,it's possible. It is also possible that whomever of the cloned "sons"s is listed as the new Alpha-1 is going to have to drop a bunch of direct control and oversight in their own former area of specilization to pick the responsibility of being in overall control and guidence.
It is also possible that the Long Range Planning Board already made some modifications to the several clones to "enhance" various of their gene mix to make them a better (more effieicnet and effective) in the particular area they were expected to specialze in. They would have also PROBABLY have had the same general schooling and indroctrination in the Alighment AND in the Detweiler "family structure".

We may or may not ever get the detail background.
Post by cthia   » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:So if male clones and female clones who are all from the same "donor" individual were to have children together, you don't think that would be considered Incest? We, this is the Detweilers we are talking about and centuries of tinkering with the human genome so, from the stand point of the Alighment, the child would "just" be another experiment.

On the other hand, if you have the ability to clone an individual and make both male and female copies---you are probably going to start running into any number of potential genetic problems, at a higher rate than if you had "normal" brothers and sisters having children together. Would depend greatly on what was done to the embryo to identify and correct problems.

Is it possible that Albrect already had a contingency plan in-place for order of succession? Sure,it's possible. It is also possible that whomever of the cloned "sons"s is listed as the new Alpha-1 is going to have to drop a bunch of direct control and oversight in their own former area of specilization to pick the responsibility of being in overall control and guidence.
It is also possible that the Long Range Planning Board already made some modifications to the several clones to "enhance" various of their gene mix to make them a better (more effieicnet and effective) in the particular area they were expected to specialze in. They would have also PROBABLY have had the same general schooling and indroctrination in the Alighment AND in the Detweiler "family structure".

We may or may not ever get the detail background.

You misunderstood me, and I must assume the entire blame for the disconnect born of getting the cart before the horse. I failed to mention that if Evelina does turn out to have daughters, that I cannot see Albrecht as having donatated any DNA for the cause. Albrecht strikes me as being a megalomaniacal sexist of a Dr. Frankenstein wanting to get the ingredients exactly right this time. No incompatible female parts. I don't think he feels that a daughter could, much less would, be intellectually up to the task. And I can't see him condoning, what he feels would be, an inferior female clone. Certainly related to the same reasons that I don't think he'd want Evelina to carry the sons naturally.

Post by Brigade XO   » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:16 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

I don't think Albrect had that much choice in the matter. Woven though what we see of the Alignment is the Planning Board making the decisions as to what to include or exclude from the "children" of the Star Lines along with all sorts of other variations.

My own opinion was the ultimate decision to make what appear (we don't actualy know) as "full" clones of Albrect-without modifications- as his "sons" had to have the concurrence of the Planning Board. There is a certain rationality to have the top layer of the management all of the same very high capability in all sorts of levels of intellect (in the opinion of the Alignment Management and their beliefs) in the Albrect Detweiler version of the Alpha Detweiler line. There could be daughters, they don't have to include ANY of Albrect's (or any other Detweiler) genes as they might/probably are yet another variation of one of the major experiments being run.

You saw what happened to Hurlander when the child he and his wife were give to raise turned out to be yet another of the failures in that particular lines experiments. I don't recall anything about the girl having ANY of Hurlander or his wife's genetic material, just that she was assigned to them- and they knew she was a variation with latest potential fix for the problems the line had been full of- and they accepted her just like all the good little Alignment/Mesan people who accept that the Planning Board will provide their children (and that there can be problems) with whatever gene-sets it (the Board) thinks appropirate for them but also for the good of the Plan.
Post by Annachie   » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:53 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Yes, but old Albretch is likely part of the planning board.

Or was and subsequently handed that role to one of his sons when they were old enough.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Honorverse