Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lyonheart and 24 guests

Did the MBS corner the market on trade?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Did the MBS corner the market on trade?
Post by tlb   » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:56 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:But I was thinking of something like the Manticoran plague years except something that had adapted to attack the imported planets rather than the humans. So things looked good for decades and then suddenly went wrong and you need some emergency support as you resolve the emergency.

Growing food in space is far less cost effective than growing it on the ground (and it's more exposed to risks from solar flares, meteor storms, hostile ships, etc.) So I'm not surprised that few Honorverse planets seem to set up planetary scale farming in space. But even if they did that just means the emergencies that might make them temporarily dependent on imported food differ -- they don't eliminate the risk of major losses to established food production.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:That's a plague attacking the people, not the food production. It's far easier to quarantine orbital farms than it is to quarantine people. We have direct, incontrovertible, and recent evidence of people's stubbornness to going into lockdown. But if you look at past food production plagues, like mad cow disease and others, they have been managed and contained. At huge cost, no doubt, but they have and they have never threatened our supply.

I'm arguing that the risks in space are different than the ones on the ground, but also that they are far more manageable in space than on the ground, especially for a young colony. I'll address the suitability of the planet in reply to penny below, but the more suitable for agriculture the planet is, the more likely that compatibility of organisms exist to cause problems, as seen in the very Plague Years you're referring to. Therefore, if you have a mildly incompatible planet, you need orbital farms in advance of terra-forming; if you have a wildly compatible planet, you need orbital farms because of the risk on the ground.

We do have one example of a plague that attacked food production in the Honorverse: from Honor Among Enemies:
Chapter 10 wrote:Like the original Manticoran settlers, Kuan Yin's colonists set out from Old Earth before the Warshawski sail had made hyper-space safe enough for colony vessels. They'd made the centuries-long voyage sublight, in cryo, only to discover that the original survey had missed a minor point about their new home's ecosystem. Specifically, about its microbiology. Kuan Yin's soil was rich in all the necessary minerals and most of the required nutrients for Terrestrial plants, but its local microorganisms had shown a voracious appetite for Terran chlorophyll and ravaged every crop the settlers put in. None of them had bothered the colonists or the Terrestrial animals they'd introduced, but no Terrestrial life form could live on the local vegetation, Terran food crops had been all but impossible to raise, and yields had been spectacularly low. The colonists had managed—somehow—to survive by endless, backbreaking labor in the fields, but some staple crops had been completely wiped out, dietary deficiencies had been terrible, and they'd known that for all their desperate efforts, they were waging an ultimately hopeless war against their own planet's microbiology. Eventually, they were bound to lose enough ground to push them over the precipice into extinction, and there'd been nothing they could do about it. All of which explained why they'd greeted Anderman's "conquest" of their home world almost as a relief expedition.
The original colony ships might not have had the equipment necessary to immediately build orbital farms.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:15 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:We do have one example of a plague that attacked food production in the Honorverse: from Honor Among Enemies:
Chapter 10 wrote:Like the original Manticoran settlers, Kuan Yin's colonists set out from Old Earth before the Warshawski sail had made hyper-space safe enough for colony vessels. They'd made the centuries-long voyage sublight, in cryo, only to discover that the original survey had missed a minor point about their new home's ecosystem. Specifically, about its microbiology. Kuan Yin's soil was rich in all the necessary minerals and most of the required nutrients for Terrestrial plants, but its local microorganisms had shown a voracious appetite for Terran chlorophyll and ravaged every crop the settlers put in. None of them had bothered the colonists or the Terrestrial animals they'd introduced, but no Terrestrial life form could live on the local vegetation, Terran food crops had been all but impossible to raise, and yields had been spectacularly low. The colonists had managed—somehow—to survive by endless, backbreaking labor in the fields, but some staple crops had been completely wiped out, dietary deficiencies had been terrible, and they'd known that for all their desperate efforts, they were waging an ultimately hopeless war against their own planet's microbiology. Eventually, they were bound to lose enough ground to push them over the precipice into extinction, and there'd been nothing they could do about it. All of which explained why they'd greeted Anderman's "conquest" of their home world almost as a relief expedition.
The original colony ships might not have had the equipment necessary to immediately build orbital farms.

Another in SotS - Nuncio , a system in the Talbott Quadrant which had 2 habitable planets, Basilica, an outwardly perfect world, and Pontifax, a dry, cold world.

Turns out Basilica was resistant to Terran flora and Fauna, the majority of which dies out in one season, and there was only enough lift left to move 1/2 the population to Pontifax, where an additional 1/2 died.

Of course these were religious nuts that brought the minimal technology with them.

I'd say that such risks do suggest the importance of bringing a modular full space based industry/economy with you to colonize.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by penny   » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:39 pm

penny
Commodore

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
penny wrote:I would think it was initially planned for foodstuffs to be grown on planet. Isn't that the entire point of finding suitable planets before the initial voyage? Especially back when man first started seeding the galaxy. In those early days of expanding across the galaxy, would it have been been conceivable to depend on an infrastructure in space with those generation ships before the technology groundside can support the infrastructure in space?

Indeed. Right now, there are no known Earth-compatible planets out there and the chances that we'll find one within driving range is negligible. The HV seems to have a lot of them, with conveniently-located wormholes (see my "improbability" thread from a few years ago).

I agree with you that early colony ships should have been designed to live in space before ascertaining that the world below was indeed suitable for life. Manticore was explored by hyperspace, but it was only settled in the 1400s PD. That means there were 1400 years of diaspora before then, and at least 725 of those were without hyperspace at all. We would have had technology to send probes at sublight and get results back, but the risk is high for either case that something was missed in the survey.

So why didn't they do it?

One has to first build the infrastructure groundside that will support the infrastructure in space. This reminds me of Babylon 5. Those early generation ships were limited as a whole.

No, they don't. That's upside-down. You come from space, so you build your first industrial nodes before going down. You have plenty of resources already in space and you have the technology to do all of that, because that's how your system of origin was set up, all the way back to the Sol system. Resources are far easier to acquire in space, because they come in digestible sizes and not at the bottom of a gravity well.

At the very least, you'll set up your hydrogen, deuterium, and helium extraction plants in space to fuel your fusion-based economy. By definition, terrestrial planets don't have a lot of those three because they're too light and escape into space in geological times.

In the long run, planets have far more mass and resources than asteroids. At a combined 10^25 kg of mass, Venus and Earth are ~90% of the mass of the Solar System outside of the Sun and the gas giants. But getting to all that mass would mean breaking up the planet you're trying to live on, so you don't put heavy, long-term industries on the planet in the first place.

We may very well skip the "let's break up small planets" stage of evolution and go straight into "let's get our material from the gas giants and the Sun." The difference is that those provide us with the energy required to extract the material we need from them too.

The backstory of Refuge comes to mind.

Indeed. That's the very counter-example of what I am trying to show would be a good colony planning. The Calvin's Hope was launched with a bare minimum of safety factor... early in the diaspora. Aeroplanes have a total safety factor of 1.2 today but we have a lot of experience in what needs to have redundancy and what doesn't, while lifts in tall buildings still have a safety factor of 10 or so. Calvin's Hope didn't have the data yet to know what could and what couldn't be spared. They prepared their expedition based on the results of a single successful colony, the one in the Sigma Draconis system that founded Beowulf. When they arrived in the Calvin system, they didn't have fuel and supplies to redirect to anything more than two dozen or so light-years. Looking again at aeroplanes, one area they don't skimp on is fuel, though easily the heaviest portion of the flight: they carry fuel to get to the destination, from there to an alternate, plus some predefined time having to wait, plus contingency.

They were strapped for cash and really wanted to get away. So at least here there's an economic and political explanation for why they launched what was an all-but-doomed expedition. That should make it an outlier, not the common / average expedition.

Normally man bootstraps himself before going up the gravity well. You are suggesting they do so before going down the well. Interesting. Although I do understand your logic, I don't think you are looking at the big picture.

Anyway, there are shuttles to conquer the gravity well. Landing resources down the well should be easy to do and as a result easy to build an infrastructure on the planet. And acquiring water sources on planet should be much easier and practical. Oxygen should not be a problem on planet either. I see orbital farms as something you finally consider later. Growing foodstuffs on planet should be more desirable with HV agricultural methods. So, unless there are problems with plant diseases and or pests, farming the land would be more desirable. I would think. I don't see anything wrong with a few farms in space. But when exactly are you planning to settle the planet? And when are you planning to awaken the settlers?

As I said upstream and tlb seems to concur, I did not think the early colony ships were so capable. And they might have used lots of resources keeping the ship running along the way. At any rate, consider the logistics. You are saying they should get busy building the first industrial nodes before going down. I don't have a problem with building initial nodes in space. However, consider what those industrial nodes will consist of and who will build them. Mostly everyone is in cryo. And everybody's effort will be needed. Where will these people live? And what will they eat? What will they drink? What will they breathe? Water should be at a premium. I suppose a few can build for the many who will awaken, eventually. But the environmental systems will be taxed in space. Shuttles will be used to mine the asteroid fields, and the colony ship and shuttles will require parts and service.

People will want to be awakened when they finally arrive at their home. Politics will come into play. There could be a civil war before you can be awakened in a year or two? Three? Four?

People are put in cryo for a reason. There simply is not only not enough food to feed everyone on the voyage home, but there isn't enough water and oxygen either. It seems silly to spend so much effort acquiring water down the gravity well to transport up the well. And utilizing technology for oxygen when you chose a planet to furnish both.

At any rate, I cannot understand why a world is being built in space if you are planning to live on the planet. Perhaps the planet should be settled along with keeping a base in space as well.

At any rate, politics should prevent a plan which involves keeping people in cryo for an extended period of time after they arrive. They have a stake in this planet that they cannot claim if in cryo. At any rate, as far as solving the possibility of a catastrophe to the orbital farms by building many small farms, do consider that the catastrophe could involve the colony ship itself where everyone in cryo is lost. All of those sleeping eggs are in one basket and could be destroyed before they "hatch."

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by tlb   » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:41 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:As I said upstream and tlb seems to concur, I did not think the early colony ships were so capable. And they might have used lots of resources keeping the ship running along the way. At any rate, consider the logistics. You are saying they should get busy building the first industrial nodes before going down. I don't have a problem with building initial nodes in space. However, consider what those industrial nodes will consist of and who will build them. Mostly everyone is in cryo. And everybody's effort will be needed. Where will these people live? And what will they eat? What will they drink? What will they breathe? Water should be at a premium. I suppose a few can build for the many who will awaken, eventually. But the environmental systems will be taxed in space. Shuttles will be used to mine the asteroid fields, and the colony ship and shuttles will require parts and service.
I do concur; the early colony ships were built long before contra-gravity was discovered; from More Than Honor:
The Universe of Honor Harrington wrote:In 1502 pd, the first practical countergravity generator was developed by the Anderson Shipbuilding Corporation of New Glasgow. This had only limited applications for space travel (though it did mean cargoes could be lifted into orbit for negligible energy costs), but incalculable ones for planetary transport industries, rendering rail, road, and oceanic transport of bulk cargoes obsolete overnight.
Post by Daryl   » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:47 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

The Honorverse has virtually unlimited energy, and access to inorganic resources.
Counter gravity, starships that can accelerate at 600 gravities indefinitely, access to asteroid belts in days or hours, manufacturing processes well beyond ours.
The one thing that won't have changed much is food. Plants grow at their own pace. Gene therapy and perfect environments will assist, but food still takes months to grow.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:00 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:from Honor Among Enemies:

Indeed, that's what I am arguing on poor planning: you're coming from a system that has perfected the technology of space farming, so you have that in your libraries. You don't know the system you're going to, so why don't you build the farms first in orbit without the risk of local micro-organisms? Ok, hedge your bets by doing both, so a local space phenomenon won't destroy your farms too.

I didn't get the impression that Kuan Yin was a rich colonisation effort. The planet was poor before Uncle Gustav came to rescue them, and I don't think RFC has told us whether the colonisation was well-done or not. I just get the impression it wasn't.

But let me give you yet another example of poor planning in an otherwise well-executed and well-funded effort: Manticore. Why did they send one frigging ship? Talk about putting all your eggs in a single basket! They should have sent at least a dozen, slightly separated out but still within communications range (half a light-second for the full diameter of all ships is more than fine). If any engineering problem befell one of the ships, it wouldn't compromise the entire effort. Plus, they can help one another, because they're coasting anyway, so it's not like the one with problems is going to fall behind.

Yes, it's more expensive to build 12 ships than 1. If the interior volume is the same, the square-cube law says that the amount of armour and hull shielding is smaller. But not by much: engines would be roughly the same, since they have to be proportional to mass, which is roughly proportional to volume (12 ships would have higher mass because armour and shielding will have higher density). Similarly for other fuel and provisions.

Columbus when he went to find a passage to the Indies didn't set out in a single sailship. He had three, which is probably the minimum viable expedition.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:22 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Normally man bootstraps himself before going up the gravity well. You are suggesting they do so before going down the well. Interesting. Although I do understand your logic, I don't think you are looking at the big picture.

"Normally" does not apply when you're extrapolating from one. We only have one planet we currently live on, the one we were born on, down the gravity well. Everywhere else we eventually colonise, we will have come from the stars. We don't know how exactly we'll make those colonisations, so we can't extrapolate right now. In the HV, it seems they first go down to the planet, then build up, like we did on Earth. I'm arguing that that's risky and wasteful.

Yes, I'm arguing with the author.

Anyway, there are shuttles to conquer the gravity well. Landing resources down the well should be easy to do and as a result easy to build an infrastructure on the planet. And acquiring water sources on planet should be much easier and practical. Oxygen should not be a problem on planet either. I see orbital farms as something you finally consider later. Growing foodstuffs on planet should be more desirable with HV agricultural methods. So, unless there are problems with plant diseases and or pests, farming the land would be more desirable. I would think. I don't see anything wrong with a few farms in space. But when exactly are you planning to settle the planet? And when are you planning to awaken the settlers?

That only exacerbates the problem. If you do have shuttles to go up from the planet to the farms, then space industry is easier, not harder. That also means you can bring up any minerals, water and oxygen up from the planet, all sterile so there's no risk of contamination.

I don't see why farming on the planet should be more desirable if the cost is roughly the same. You are churning the land there, after all, destroying the native landscape and ecosystem by introducing Terran fauna and flora. Though the same technology that would allow for orbital farms should allow for entirely self-contained, domed farms on the ground too. So the issue of alien contamination should not occur in the first place, either way.

As for when you awake the colonists? As your food production and industrial means grow and are stable enough to support the population, and as your reserves allow.

As I said upstream and tlb seems to concur, I did not think the early colony ships were so capable. And they might have used lots of resources keeping the ship running along the way. At any rate, consider the logistics. You are saying they should get busy building the first industrial nodes before going down. I don't have a problem with building initial nodes in space. However, consider what those industrial nodes will consist of and who will build them. Mostly everyone is in cryo. And everybody's effort will be needed. Where will these people live? And what will they eat? What will they drink? What will they breathe? Water should be at a premium. I suppose a few can build for the many who will awaken, eventually. But the environmental systems will be taxed in space. Shuttles will be used to mine the asteroid fields, and the colony ship and shuttles will require parts and service.

Indeed, logistics should dictate the build order and the order of awakening. Do you agree that the colony ship should have been designed for the worst-case scenario? That would mean it should have the resources to keep a bootstrap colony awake and producing the initial work in the case the planet had proved completely uninhabitable, either to mitigate the problem or to redirect the ship to another destination. If it's not the worst-case as they arrive, then they should have a sufficient surplus to build those industries and farms. They will have robots too.

People will want to be awakened when they finally arrive at their home. Politics will come into play. There could be a civil war before you can be awakened in a year or two? Three? Four?

Yeah, I can't comment on that. But waking up everyone before the colony is ready would lead to famine. Besides, how are sleepers going to complain? By the time they are able to complain, it will be fait accompli.

People are put in cryo for a reason. There simply is not only not enough food to feed everyone on the voyage home, but there isn't enough water and oxygen either. It seems silly to spend so much effort acquiring water down the gravity well to transport up the well. And utilizing technology for oxygen when you chose a planet to furnish both.

I agree, it's silly to spend so much effort. But water is plentiful in space, and you can crack it for oxygen. Moreover, water is actually a very good radiation shield, so early ships would have LOTS of water anyway.

Besides, your argument is that they'd have shuttles that would reduce the cost considerably anyway. So it wouldn't be such effort in the first place.

At any rate, I cannot understand why a world is being built in space if you are planning to live on the planet. Perhaps the planet should be settled along with keeping a base in space as well.

That's what I am saying. You can build the homes on the planet if you have a way to getting people easily back up for working in the farms. Long-term, if you want to live on the planet, you can; the argument is that you shouldn't ditch all the space technology that you have, is known and reliable, and depend on that planet, which is an unknown.

At any rate, politics should prevent a plan which involves keeping people in cryo for an extended period of time after they arrive. They have a stake in this planet that they cannot claim if in cryo. At any rate, as far as solving the possibility of a catastrophe to the orbital farms by building many small farms, do consider that the catastrophe could involve the colony ship itself where everyone in cryo is lost. All of those sleeping eggs are in one basket and could be destroyed before they "hatch."

See above.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:35 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:But let me give you yet another example of poor planning in an otherwise well-executed and well-funded effort: Manticore. Why did they send one frigging ship? Talk about putting all your eggs in a single basket! They should have sent at least a dozen, slightly separated out but still within communications range (half a light-second for the full diameter of all ships is more than fine). If any engineering problem befell one of the ships, it wouldn't compromise the entire effort. Plus, they can help one another, because they're coasting anyway, so it's not like the one with problems is going to fall behind.

Yes, it's more expensive to build 12 ships than 1. If the interior volume is the same, the square-cube law says that the amount of armour and hull shielding is smaller. But not by much: engines would be roughly the same, since they have to be proportional to mass, which is roughly proportional to volume (12 ships would have higher mass because armour and shielding will have higher density). Similarly for other fuel and provisions.

Columbus when he went to find a passage to the Indies didn't set out in a single sailship. He had three, which is probably the minimum viable expedition.

Because sub-light cryo colonization ships are stupendously expensive (for the industrial base of the time) and benefit outrageously from scaling effects.

Making one twice as big should cost a miniscule fraction of the cost of building two. Making one big one probably costs 1/1000th as much as building 12 small ones.

Oh, and you need twelve times the crew awake at any time monitoring and maintaining the ships -- that's not easy to come by either.

When colony ship construction and crewing are your bottlenecks then you're going to get most colonies as single-ship efforts.

After hyperspace became safe enough for colony ships then that calculus would change -- you could lease a dozen colony ships (or freighters to convert to colony ships) for 5 or 10 years, reach your destination in under a year, have all the redundancy you want as you set up the colony -- even sending one or two for additional supplies if you discover you are somehow short. And when you release them there might be another colony expedition willing to lease them -- or there's enough market that they'd be converted back into regular freighters and you're not on the hook for their entire lifetime costs. (Plus ship building has gotten a lot cheaper over the centuries)
Last edited by Jonathan_S on Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:47 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
I don't see why farming on the planet should be more desirable if the cost is roughly the same. You are churning the land there, after all, destroying the native landscape and ecosystem by introducing Terran fauna and flora. Though the same technology that would allow for orbital farms should allow for entirely self-contained, domed farms on the ground too. So the issue of alien contamination should not occur in the first place, either way.

Well, we're told it's not remotely the same cost.
Flag in Exile wrote:The orbital farms were far more productive, on a volume-for-volume basis, than any dirt-side farm, but building them had been hideously expensive, especially with pre-Alliance technology. Historically, simply feeding its people had soaked up something like seventy percent of Yeltsin's gross system product, but that was about to change.
And while, yes, that's pre-alliance tech that is a tech base that include counter-grav shuttles and hyper capable starships. Yeah it's a couple centuries behind Manticore, but colonization has been going on in the Honorverse for nearly 2000 years; so even pre-alliance Grayson is far higher-tech than the majority of colony expeditions over that span.

Even with tech many centuries ahead of current day Earth, orbital farms on a planetary scale were stupidly expensive. For contrast US agriculture is less than 6 percent of GPD -- so you're looking at over an order of magnitude more expensive to farm in space.

And even on Grayson the whole point of Sky Domes was that even building an planet-side environmentally sealed greenhouse over entire farms was "little more than two-thirds of the orbital habitats' ongoing production costs and with far smaller startup investments" -- farming on normal planets would be even cheaper than that; but there's no reason to expect their orbital farms to be significantly cheaper.
Post by penny   » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:20 pm

penny
Commodore

No one in the forum actually thinks orbital farming is cheaper than farming on the planet, is there?

And no one actually thinks orbital farming is desired, rather than a necessity, when it is used?

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.

Return to Honorverse