Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

New ship idea

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: New ship idea
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:56 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

And what is the capasity out at Matapan and in at Hennesy in the way of SEM having any actual yard space for naval work in addition to engineering and repair ships?

If they have some military manufacturing capability they might be abel to manufacturer some of basic types of routine maintenece components or parts. That would take some of the pressure off whatever exists in the Manticore Home System. They should be able to take ships in for mainenence, perhaps including various levels of battle damage. They will probably be a place to do training or apprenticeship time for some of that new workforce.

Matapan's closest system doen't have a habital planet but I presume that it is a local source of materials for the facilities located out at the terminus. Of the two, Matapan should be safer as it is a long way from anywhere (that we know of) other than Manticore and the now friendly Aldermani Empire.

Hennesy's facilities may or may not be vastly under-utilized just now since that terminus is closed to Solly flagged ships. Of course it could also be seeing an upswing in traffic and related rise in ship repair work (civilian) as traffic starts to flow though there under "neutral" flags rather than spit in the eye of SLN by using the Beowulf terminus.
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:09 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:Which kind of raises the question as to how the Unicorn yards, now being on a huge orbital station that is a major shipping center and industrial node in orbit around an inhabited planet, are supposed to resemble David's description of them in EoH:

"Don't worry, Commander. We do have a main battery . . . and the first part of it is almost ready to embark. But the Powers That Be felt—correctly, I think—that Minotaur needed a shakedown cruise of her own. That's what we've spent the last two T-months doing while the Hauptman and Jankowski cartels finished building our LACs at Hauptman's Unicorn Yard."

Understanding flickered in the eyes of all three newcomers. The Unicorn Belt was the innermost—and richest—of Manticore-B's three asteroid belts, and the Hauptman Cartel's Gryphon Minerals, Ltd., subsidiary owned about thirty percent of it outright, with long-term leases on another third. The cartel had built enormous extraction centers and smelters to service its mining operations, and there had been persistent rumors even before the war that Hauptman Yards, Ltd., the shipbuilding unit of the mighty cartel, had been using its Unicorn Yard to build experimental Navy units well away from prying eyes. And the Jankowski Cartel, though far smaller than Hauptman's, was highly specialized and a major player in the Navy's R&D operations in its own right.

In fact, Gearman thought, Jankowski's who handled the major share of R&D on adapting the Grayson compensator design for the Fleet, aren't they?

RFC's response to that complaint was archived in the Pearls. Read your quote again. It says: Hauptman Cartel has a major industrial and financial footprint in Manticore B. And that Hauptman Cartel builds ships for the Navy in a yard they named after their mineral extraction division, also in Manticore B. It does NOT say anything about the location of the Unicorn Yard; which he does specify when it gets blown up. Since there were already Navy-owned yards on Weyland, why wouldn't Hauptman take advantage of the existing services and logistics advantages of Weyland?

I thought it was kinda confusing; but I thought his explanation of what was where also made sense. I just wish he'd have been more explicit in the first place; but that post isn't exactly recent.

If my connection was better, I'd go get the link for it.

Rob
Post by Draken   » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:27 pm

Draken
Commander

We could borrow some Sollies yard they shouldn't have any big issues with production of Manticoran designs?
Post by Zakharra   » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:44 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

Draken wrote:We could borrow some Sollies yard they shouldn't have any big issues with production of Manticoran designs?

The basic ships design? No, not really. It's when you get to the inner details that there would be problems. The SL yards wouldn't be able to make the inertial compensators, the fusion plants, the miniaturized circuitry, the missiles or any number of technological upgrades the SEM has discovered/made in the last 20 years. About the most the SL yards could do is build the ship hull, everything else is out of their reach atm.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:17 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Erewhon had some first generation SDPs with MDMs. It was through Erewhon that the Republic got the tech to build their own SDSPs.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:17 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

n7axw wrote:Erewhon had some first generation SDPs with MDMs. It was through Erewhon that the Republic got the tech to build their own SDSPs.

Don

Don't think so. It takes about 4 years to build an SDP, and Erewhon signed the treaty with Haven just before the resumption of hostilities, so there wasn't time for them to copy them. I assume that Foraker took the description of the SD(P)s from Buttercup, and started to roll her own. That is the only way they could have had the numbers they did for Thunderbolt.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:30 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:I assume that Foraker took the description of the SD(P)s from Buttercup, and started to roll her own.

Shannon spent a good portion of a year aboard HMAMC Wayfarer and witnessed first hand what a hollow-core pod-layer could do. It wouldn't surprise me to find RHNS Sovereign of Space was mostly designed in her spare time before her "Oops!" moment.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:51 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
fallsfromtrees wrote:I assume that Foraker took the description of the SD(P)s from Buttercup, and started to roll her own.

Shannon spent a good portion of a year aboard HMAMC Wayfarer and witnessed first hand what a hollow-core pod-layer could do. It wouldn't surprise me to find RHNS Sovereign of Space was mostly designed in her spare time before her "Oops!" moment.

Except that she wouldn't have an opportunity do do anything about it until she becomes the head of R&D following the coup.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:04 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

And with pods you don't necessarily have to have the missile designs nailed down when you start designing pod layers. Sure you need to be sure the max pod dimensions aren't too small to hold your missiles, but you can get started.

Even in the worst case where you don't get a working MDM a pod laying SDM SD(P) is still more effective than your non-pod SDM equipped ships and can farrow easily be upgraded to MDMs once you finally figure them out. (Without MDMs it can't stand up to Mantie pod layers; but then neither can their older ships)
Post by Theemile   » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:28 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

[quote="fallsfromtrees"][quote="n7axw"]Erewhon had some first generation SDPs with MDMs. It was through Erewhon that the Republic got the tech to build their own SDSPs.

Don[/quote]
Don't think so. It takes about 4 years to build an SDP, and Erewhon signed the treaty with Haven just before the resumption of hostilities, so there wasn't time for them to copy them. I assume that Foraker took the description of the SD(P)s from Buttercup, and started to roll her own. That is the only way they could have had the numbers they did for Thunderbolt.[/quote]

They (Erewhon) got the tech, but did not buy the SD(p)s. They purchased 8 surviving King William SDs and the remaining Anduril SDs between wars. Manticore did not build an SD(p) for anyone but their own navy. If Erewhon got MDMs, they never got a production line, hense the use of Mk17 EDMs in pods at Torch by Rozsak.

According to David, Haven already had a paper study of a SD(p) at the end of the 1st war (probably influenced from Caslet and Foraker's experiences with the Wayfarer). So, once they saw one in action, they had a firm starting point to build a design using as much homemade "off the shelf" parts as possible.

Edit - Erewhon's tech transfer to Haven happened months, if not weeks prior to the resumption of hostilities. The fleet which attacked Manticore was already built and trained at that time.
Last edited by Theemile on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse