Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 10 guests

Sphinx and Gryphon class SD

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Sphinx and Gryphon class SD
Post by Draken   » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:09 pm

Draken
Commander

About wormhole defence.
If I was a commander of forces assigned to one and I need to defend it from big fleet of Solly junk. 5-10 battle squadrons. First things which I would do would be to send a courier to other side to have reinforcements incoming. After that I would leave LACs and pods in N-space and one ship. Other I will hind in h-space and place them in a way which would allow to ambush Raiders. If reinforcements will arrive before hostiles, hide them in hyper wait for hostiles. When they show up, jump into N-space and Fire everything what you have. LACs will kill rest, it's just copying tactic use when Terekhow was defending Spindle. If GA have sufficient enough forces to leave one or two squadrons of heavy cruiser in every star system with wormhole, than Sollies will need really big hammer to take control of it.
Is it possible to jump into hyper after making wormhole transit? And there are any limitations about what you can and cannot do in hyper?
Post by kzt   » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:16 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Draken wrote:About wormhole defence.
If I was a commander of forces assigned to one and I need to defend it from big fleet of Solly junk. 5-10 battle squadrons. First things which I would do would be to send a courier to other side to have reinforcements incoming.

So when every wormhole force realizes that they can be swamped you'll send what to each of them? How long will this take? What does that leave for your strategic reserve, like the hordes of ships you need to keep someone from stomping flat your manufacturing infrastructure AGAIN and those you need to deal with that whole Mesan Alignment bit? Plus you need at least two ships assigned to the mission to maintain that force for every ship you have on-station.
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:29 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Draken wrote:About wormhole defence.
If I was a commander of forces assigned to one and I need to defend it from big fleet of Solly junk. 5-10 battle squadrons. First things which I would do would be to send a courier to other side to have reinforcements incoming. After that I would leave LACs and pods in N-space and one ship. Other I will hind in h-space and place them in a way which would allow to ambush Raiders. If reinforcements will arrive before hostiles, hide them in hyper wait for hostiles. When they show up, jump into N-space and Fire everything what you have. LACs will kill rest, it's just copying tactic use when Terekhow was defending Spindle. If GA have sufficient enough forces to leave one or two squadrons of heavy cruiser in every star system with wormhole, than Sollies will need really big hammer to take control of it.
Is it possible to jump into hyper after making wormhole transit? And there are any limitations about what you can and cannot do in hyper?

5 to ten squadrons of Sollies, you mean? The current generation of forts at Lynx were designed to defend themselves against 250 Medusa class SDPs. 80 Solarian wallers won't be much bother.

Regarding your question on hyper, have you read the archived posts at Joe Buckley's site? Also, use the advanced search function here and see what you find.

Here are what people refer to as "the Pearls".
http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/series/Harrington/
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:44 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
Drakensang wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I remember Sollies have something like 9 millions of range and Cataphracts have how much? Attack on any of wormhole would be a suicide, only question would be how long Sollies forces would survive.

No. You can actually emerge from hyperspace well within energy range, much less SDM range, of the forces holding the wormhole. And if you are exiting hyperspace planning on shooting you will probably be faster to shoot then the people who are calmly going about their daily business just like they have for the last 4 months.

You can't get into hyperspace from inside the RZ right around the WH, but you can appear there.
http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/en ... gton/125/0

Note the internal thoughts in OBS chapter 5 by CDR Harrington about the WHJ forts.

Attacking the isolated RMN forces holding the WH is actually a reasonably good idea if you want to report victories. Then drop a bunch of mines and move back off, leaving a few stealthy ships in RS with the rest in hyper.
That assumes you have a reasonable idea where the defending ships are located around the wormhole.

The Junction forts Honor was worried about are more obvious (harder to hide) and there's a lot of civilian traffic going through that can build up a profile of roughly where those forts are. Plus the forts need to be clear of all the inbound and outbound lanes of traffic, further restricting where they can be.

In contrast, a group of ships that just needs to interdict travel through a minor wormhole can be more more randomly placed. Even if they want to be able to put laserheads on targets emerging from the wormhole, before those targets can clear the "lane" they only need to be "somewhere" within (IIRC) ~10 million km of it.

And if they're happy to fight after a potential transiting ship has it's wedge back online, or as a ship approaches through n-space, then they can be even further back. That's a lot of volume to search for somebody that probably spends most of the time with a minimally powered wedge up (possibly even covered by stealth, if that doesn't put too much time on the clock of the ECM components). And traffic is rare enough that the defenders should be able to reshuffle their locations after each ship is allowed through or chased off - so little chance of effectively per-determining where they are.

But all that said, if a SLN CA or BC (or bigger) does manage to drop out within energy range of a RMN DD or CL (or god help them CLAC) then it's be a bad day for the RMN ship.
Post by Draken   » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:53 pm

Draken
Commander

There is a rule that ship must show in N-space 12 lm? Does ship which want to use wormhole must jump into N-space on 12 lm mark or can do it closer? Also if we think about holding any wormhole with small forces, why don't borrow some Mycroft or Moriarty platforms, let's hide them inside asteroid field and it would be really hard to have hard lock on them, even if you knew that they were there. Better question is how many ships is League willing to spend on trying to break through closed wormholes? If a lot of them, we should think about placing heavier ships as defence if not Saganami-C shouldn't have a lot of problems.
Post by kzt   » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:24 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Asteroids fields are about as useful to preventing detection by ship sensors as air is to preventing radar detection. The density of debris is actually very low and artificial objects are fairly east to pick out. For example, very few actual asteroids have a running fusion reactor. Not to mention that there are no asteroid belts at 12+ light hours out.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:37 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:Also remember the level of corruption and that a good portion of that 75% voted as they were paid to vote regardless of their or their star system's actual beliefs.

Who is paying them? Why are they paying them?

The Mandarins, the Mandarins' lackeys and political Whips, etc.

The payment might not be a payment as such, but blackmail, economic pressure, or political back-scratching, but it is clear that the vote to censure Beowulf was rigged as heavily as possible in the Mandarins' favor.

Even so, the vote in Beowulf's favor was much larger than the Mandarins expected and/or could have wished.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by stewart   » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:02 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Zakharra wrote:
Remember that 3/4 of the Delegates/worlds thought Beowulf did betray the SLN admiral when they denied her permission to use the junction. So I don't think that many will think the SLN/SL is overstepping its authority/bounds since the ones admiral's views on how the SL constitution is viewed seems to be a p[relevant one to a lot of systems and bureaucrats: that is is what modern convention says it is. ie that the right to secede from the SL has been made invalid because its never been used before or that the SLN can override the authority of individual systems because it says it has reason to.

----------------

The Vote was also taken after a considerable "prepping-the-ground" by E&I and the Sollie news media.

It will be "verry interesting" how those attitudes may change as the details of "Case Buccaneer" and the other contingency plans get leaked out.

The Core worlds who voted against Beowulf will likely believe what they are led / told to believe.

The Shell, Protectorate and Verge areas, those that are full League members, will likely side with Beowulf, if they didn't already. The nominal-independent protectorates and "managed" systems will want to throw their League or corporate managers out the nearest air-lock (space-suit optional).

-- Stewart
Post by stewart   » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:14 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Draken wrote:There is a rule that ship must show in N-space 12 lm? Does ship which want to use wormhole must jump into N-space on 12 lm mark or can do it closer? Also if we think about holding any wormhole with small forces, why don't borrow some Mycroft or Moriarty platforms, let's hide them inside asteroid field and it would be really hard to have hard lock on them, even if you knew that they were there. Better question is how many ships is League willing to spend on trying to break through closed wormholes? If a lot of them, we should think about placing heavier ships as defence if not Saganami-C shouldn't have a lot of problems.

---------------

The 12 L-M limit is analogous to our 12 mile limit for international waters (and it's predesesor 3 mile limit) which were based on the range of shore based cannons.

The 12 LM limit is the basic sovereignty limit about a star or planet. Claimed distances were further depending on the systems ability to enforce that claim.

Most wormholes are in the order of several light-hours to light-days from the system they are nominally associated with (see Talbott).

As Commo Sean McGrudder noted in SOF, sovereignty is subject to change in a war.

-- Stewart
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:24 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Draken wrote:There is a rule that ship must show in N-space 12 lm? Does ship which want to use wormhole must jump into N-space on 12 lm mark or can do it closer?
12 lightminutes is over 215 million km. You can drop out of hyper way closer than that.

Heck, if the Peep pounce on the Basilisk terminus had worked in Echoes of Honor they were "supposed to emerge from hyper four million klicks from the Basilisk terminus, headed directly towards it with a velocity of five thousand kilometers per second." That's already well inside SDM range (of course SDMs are all the Peeps had at that point) even if you ignore the closing velocity.

Of course they overshot, by 23.7 million km, but they'd intended to emerge within missile range and attack before the defenders were likely to be ready.

So attackers definitely don't have to pay attention to any interstellar conversions or norms about control within 12 lm beyond the hyper limit.
But I don't think even commercial ships planning to use wormholes are required by Astro Control to emerge quite that far away. Far enough that a navigation error is unlikely to put them into the RZ or into traffic lanes, sure, but probably not 12 lm off to the side (or rear) of the terminus.

Return to Honorverse