Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: George J. Smith, Google [Bot], penny and 26 guests

Most heart wrenching death

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Most heart wrenching death
Post by SharkHunter   » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:12 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Other than those already mentioned -- which are the top ones for me also... the most affecting remaining deaths were:

--the Duke of Cromarty [personally and the ship] at the end of Ashes of Victory

--the crew of the HMS Hexapuma at Hephaestus, and

Howard Clinksdales, Honor's regent and "grandfatherly friend" for so many years on Grayson.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:30 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Another heart wrenching death was Cordelia Ransom. Inasmuch as it took RFC so long to sell her the farm! Copper-plated Bitch!!!

Oops. Can I say that on forum HD?

Oh well, maybe it'll get bleeped out. lol

Looks like you can/could say that :o

Lots of good candidates here. Did anyone think of the treecat that died when Manpower tried to assassinate Queen Berry?
The cats were just starting to come to the point of communication with two footed people. I don't think that he used sign but... he knew that something was wrong and could not wrap his head around that level of duplicity.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by GabrialSagan   » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:29 am

GabrialSagan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I know this is an odd one but for me it was Captain Warden Mizawa. He seemed like a good man doing his job and he got killed because his commanding officer was a jackass. I just felt sorry for the guy.
Post by cthia   » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:45 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

GabrialSagan wrote:I know this is an odd one but for me it was Captain Warden Mizawa. He seemed like a good man doing his job and he got killed because his commanding officer was a jackass. I just felt sorry for the guy.

I know what you mean, and along that same vein is Elvis Santino's entire crew.

Something else I'd like to see onscreen is an image I see in my mind's eye every time I think of that scene. And that's the sad, depressed, gloomy look on the face of the entire crew seen from the eyes of Andrea Jaruwalski. She saw it written all over their face that they were about to die a needless, foolish death. And they in turn saw it on her face. Very sad. I keep seeing one officer turn his head to look at her as she was leaving wanting to be with her. Trust me, I could direct that scene with perfection.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:12 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Simon Mattingly, shot with his own gun.

And, of course, poor Lieutenant Meares, forced to do the deed. She had to give him the finger.
--------------
At my house, the "things that go bump in the night" are cats.
Post by cthia   » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:37 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Simon Mattingly, shot with his own gun.

And, of course, poor Lieutenant Meares, forced to do the deed. She had to give him the finger.
--------------

Harrumph? I didn't realize he was shot with his own gun. I must reread that. I suppose that since it was so sad for me, I missed it.

About Lt. Meares, Honor could sense the personal war and regret he was waging against himself inside of his head. That had to make killing him a Copper-plated Ransom for Honor.

Little wonder she had little patience for that investigator.

I'd sure like to see he and Honor meet up again and an apology delivered.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by dscott8   » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:37 am

dscott8
Commodore

C. O. Thompson wrote:Lots of good candidates here. Did anyone think of the treecat that died when Manpower tried to assassinate Queen Berry?
The cats were just starting to come to the point of communication with two footed people. I don't think that he used sign but... he knew that something was wrong and could not wrap his head around that level of duplicity.

To me, the great tragedy of this event was Lara, still learning to live and love in the real world after years as a Scrag, hurling Berry through the door and staring lovingly into Saburo's eyes as she went down.
Post by Amaroq   » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:57 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:Simon Mattingly, shot with his own gun.

--------------

Harrumph? I didn't realize he was shot with his own gun. I must reread that. I suppose that since it was so sad for me, I missed it.

True. Meares grabbed Simon's pulser and used it to shoot him first before going after Honor.

At All Costs Ch. 31
It wasn't Mattingly's fault. Timothy Meares was part of his Steadholder's official family. He was her aide, her student, almost an adoptive son. He'd been alone in her company literally thousands of times, and Mattingly knew he was no threat. And so, he was totally unprepared when Meares' right hand reached out casually—so casually—in passing . . . and snaked Mattingly's pulser out of his holster.

The armsman reacted almost instantly. Despite the totality of his surprise, his own arm lashed out, seeking to recapture the weapon, or at least immobilize it. But "almost instantly" wasn't quite good enough, and the pulser snarled.

Just awful.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Return to Honorverse