Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 38 guests

The moments that got you

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The moments that got you
Post by bunyipbelle   » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:14 am

bunyipbelle
Lieutenant Commander

PeterZ wrote:The most poignant came recently. The prelude to and first meeting between Hamish and The Salamander. He recognized that which he lacked in his wife. He recognized the monster she could become, yet discovered also how much he loved the woman who could keep that monster leashed. And all the while he thought of her, not about how that recognition reflected on him.

Might as well rename them Buttercup and Wesley.

" He knew he'd met the Salamander at last"
This passage really touches me. Hamish has known Honor for so many years but until now he has never met the Salamander." the very embodiment of devastation"...." The handmaiden of death, and ice, and purpose, and a determination which would not - could not- relent or rest." Hamish sees her this way for the first time and it makes him love her even more deeply.I just find this so moving.

The passage comes from Mission of Honor.
Post by Telra   » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:04 am

Telra
Captain (Junior Grade)

Depends what you mean.
Are we talking about moments that gave me the feels?
well...
1) When the stray got killed in the story stray
2) When Tschu got killed
3) When Honor found out Andrew died
4) Pretty much every Armsmans death, especially during the escape

and many more....
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:21 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

bunyipbelle wrote:
PeterZ wrote:The most poignant came recently. The prelude to and first meeting between Hamish and The Salamander. He recognized that which he lacked in his wife. He recognized the monster she could become, yet discovered also how much he loved the woman who could keep that monster leashed. And all the while he thought of her, not about how that recognition reflected on him.

Might as well rename them Buttercup and Wesley.

" He knew he'd met the Salamander at last"
This passage really touches me. Hamish has known Honor for so many years but until now he has never met the Salamander." the very embodiment of devastation"...." The handmaiden of death, and ice, and purpose, and a determination which would not - could not- relent or rest." Hamish sees her this way for the first time and it makes him love her even more deeply.I just find this so moving.

The passage comes from Mission of Honor.

You know, after reading Beauty and the Beast, I dread reading in a future scene where both Alfred and Honor find themselves in a position to release their demons upon the Detweilers. Just like at Blackbird, neither will be able to keep their demons in check. Well, perhaps Alfred can.....or not.

Assume this scenario does transpire. Sure, fell deeds will be awakened by justified wrath for their ruined home. The question in my mind is will they awaken to a dawn made redder by their demons or will they (or someone else) stop those demons short?
Post by namelessfly   » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:17 pm

namelessfly

I suspect that most would be amazed that I know enough about classical music to agree with your suggestion.

PeterZ wrote:

That is another one.

Definitely should not be cut from the movie.

The score should be Vivaldi's Four Seasons. If the arrange the piece to play Spring and Fall first as Fearless approaches Thundrr of God and Summer when White Haven arrives in system. Then climax with Winter. That would build the intensity quite well.[/quote]
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:32 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

namelessfly wrote:I suspect that most would be amazed that I know enough about classical music to agree with your suggestion.
PeterZ wrote:The score should be Vivaldi's Four Seasons. If they arrange the piece to play Spring and Fall first as Fearless approaches Thunder of God and Summer when White Haven arrives in system. Then climax with Winter. That would build the intensity quite well.

I've always thought Winter was apropos as a score to vigorous shower scenes. That is should such scenes be needed.
Post by Amaroq   » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:46 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

Telra wrote:Depends what you mean.

3) When Honor found out Andrew died

This most definitely was an emotional scene especially because Weber left it ambiguous during the actual attack as to what happened after Allison and Lindsay were ejected from the air car. And poor Hamish is the one who had to break the news not just of Andrew (and Miranda) but about most of her entire family.

I also wanted to mention the scene previously where she appoints Andrew as Raoul's personal armsman and tries to get him out of danger only for it to backfire so horribly... All of the unstated feelings that had been building for so long just made you want to cry. No offense to Spencer but having Honor there without Andrew guarding her back just feels wrong. I always wondered if one of the reasons for Andrew and Miranda both dying in the Yawata Strike had to do with a way for him to resolve the whole "they never had prolong and so would start to age and become infirm" problem...
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by Amaroq   » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:53 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

Another moment I just thought of is not a single moment per se but more a realization that can hit close to home. The point when you realize that all of the early treecats that bonded with humans were voluntarily giving up half their life just to be with them. I was re-reading What Price Dreams? and it really hits hard when you find out the 'cats live so much longer than humans (before prolong of course) and that entering into the adoption bond means sacrificing a huge part of their life on the part of the 'cats. And then you realize that they did it anyway knowing they would have to make that sacrifice...

Honor comments on it in Best Laid Plans and hopes that the 'cats find out about prolong and that they will be able to enjoy the full length of their lifespan with their adopted humans from now on (and with the increasing effectiveness of prolong it might even start going the other way).
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by cthia   » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:50 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

That's for me and Ginger Lewis," Aubrey Wanderman said, stepping back from the man he'd once feared as MacBride waved the Marines forward at last. "I hope you enjoyed it, asshole," he finished coldly through the other man's sobbing pain. "I certainly did."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:32 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

bunyipbelle wrote:
Amaroq wrote:When Honor and the crew of the heavy cruiser HMS Fearless are advancing into what they know is going to be their deaths in the final clash against Thunder of God with Hammerwell's Salute to Spring serenading them into battle...

Very poignant and gets me every time.

It is is one of my favourite passages too.I have this vivid image of them going into the horror of battle with the sound of beautiful uplifting music accompanying them. It gives me a thrill every time I read it

Honestly, I think one of the hardest things about the movie is going to be creating Salute to Spring. It just has to be epic.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Hutch   » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:38 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

When Protector Benjamin and his family went to Dine with Allison and Alfred Harrington in Echoes of Honor, and Allison got to meet thier youngest child..

My name is Allison," she said. "What's your name?"

The girl looked gravely at the offered hand for several seconds, then back at Allison's face.

"Honor," she said after a moment. Her Grayson accent softened the name, but she spoke clearly and distinctly. "Honor Mayhew".

Wham. Gotten.
Last edited by Hutch on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Return to Honorverse