Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests

Spoilers and possible Errors in House of Steel eARC

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Spoilers and possible Errors in House of Steel eARC
Post by Hidesinshadows   » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Hidesinshadows
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Jonathan_S wrote:
clancy688 wrote:One question regarding House of Steel and accel rates:

HoS tells us that Invictus-class SD(P)'s can pull 562.9 Gees of maximum accel.

But in AAC, during BoMa, HMS King Roger III, Admiral Kuzak's flagship, pulled 612 Gees (end of chapter sixty-seven).

Possible error?
Maybe, or maybe by BoMa that Invictus had been refitted with yet a newer compensator. As best I can tell the HoS accel rates are based on original compensators, not what the ships can do post refit.

Although the one I found a bit odd was the Culvern-class DD. It's a pre-war (1899 PD) design, and masses 104,000 tons, but has an anomalously high acceleration rate of 547.4g. (Compare the preceding Javalin-class 1883, 87,250 tons, 519.7g).

It's too early for the lead ship to benefit from the Grayson compensator tech, because Honor of the Queen wasn't until 1903.
(I find it doubly odd because the listing for it in HoS differs in only two ways from Jaynes - in service date (1889 vs 1906) and accel (547.4g vs 518.9g), the later being what you'd expect from a pre-grayson compensator)

I found it somewhat interesting to go through and compare the ship specs from those two publications (but also found that Jayne's had some internal consistency issues where the weapons count in the summary didn't always match the broadside/chase details from the diagram legends)

Or maybe the compensator was redlined durring that battle ;)

Have to remember the Accels given are from memory (don't quote me on this) Maximum Safe Speeds..

It's also possible with some of the early classes that they may have been before a set of regulations changed the maximum compensator limits etc or the like etc.. I'm not saying it is, but that could be one explination for such..
- Rob Graham
-Once of Bunine.
All the above is my personal opinion, it is an informed opinion but does not constitute being from the mouth of god or those whom I worked with. I am only human and I can and may (likely) be wrong.
Post by Duckk   » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:49 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

We gave both 80% and 100% accel figures in HoS. I checked, there is a discrepancy.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:54 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Thought it was a requirement in a work about the Honorverse that a certain number of typos/math errors HAD to be included. :-) :-) :-)

A joke. Anal retentive fans will find them and justify their anal retentiveness. Have to build the readership's self worth. :-)

Have fun,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by Hidesinshadows   » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:56 pm

Hidesinshadows
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

thinkstoomuch wrote:Thought it was a requirement in a work about the Honorverse that a certain number of typos/math errors HAD to be included. :-) :-) :-)

A joke. Anal retentive fans will find them and justify their anal retentiveness. Have to build the readership's self worth. :-)

Have fun,
T2M

Rofl.. actually i think it's a Law..

Though must make at least X to the power of Z errors when it comes to certain things.. else though have not spent hours and hours and years workign on this material ;)

and Derick: Cool i honestly couldn't remember and with out opening up and going and checking ;)
- Rob Graham
-Once of Bunine.
All the above is my personal opinion, it is an informed opinion but does not constitute being from the mouth of god or those whom I worked with. I am only human and I can and may (likely) be wrong.
Post by waddles for desert   » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 pm

waddles for desert
Admiral

Elizabeth should propose elevating her to Countess. She is a Conservative, but the seating of the San Martin lords should offset that.

White Haven should present the Queen's recommendation, and Honor should be the first to endorse it.

Meanwhile, what does Hamish have to do to be made a duke? And, shouldn't Willie be an Earl in his own right by now?
Post by rmsgrey   » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:09 am

rmsgrey
Commander

waddles for desert wrote:Elizabeth should propose elevating her to Countess. She is a Conservative, but the seating of the San Martin lords should offset that.

Creating Conservative-aligned peers who have a reasonable grasp of reality is to be encouraged anyway - the goal is not to eliminate undesirable factions, but to have as many Lords as possible be useful and productive members of the House
Post by Duckk   » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:11 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Sonja Hemphill is already Baroness Low Delhi...
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by TheMonster   » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:02 am

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

waddles for desert wrote:Elizabeth should propose elevating her to Countess. She is a Conservative, but the seating of the San Martin lords should offset that.

White Haven should present the Queen's recommendation, and Honor should be the first to endorse it.

Meanwhile, what does Hamish have to do to be made a duke? And, shouldn't Willie be an Earl in his own right by now?
There is not yet a Grand Duke of San Martin. To my way of thinking, the two best candidates for the position are Jésus Ramirez and Hamish.

Somehow I doubt that DW will let Hamish outrank his second wife's noble title, however. He's set things up so well for the Harrington titles (Duke, Steadholder) to Raoul as Honor's first child, so that the White Haven title could go to Katherine (as Raoul relinquishing the lesser title in her favor gives the family more votes in the Lords). It also conveniently allows Emily's biological child to hold the White Haven title.
Post by tpope   » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:09 am

tpope
Ninth Space Lord

I haven't been following this thread for a couple of weeks, and need to go back and cross check some of the errors mentioned therein.

One thing I should note in regards to compensator efficiency... The acceleration listed for each class is that of the lead ship of the class as-built. Both refits and new construction will have wildly different accelerations at times given how fast things were improving.

Now, that doesn't mean there aren't errors of course, and the Culverin-class might be one of those (I need to look that one up when I have time) but it should help alleviate some discrepancies.
Post by waddles for desert   » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:10 pm

waddles for desert
Admiral

Duckk wrote:Sonja Hemphill is already Baroness Low Delhi...

I forgot.

So, voting in Lords would not change. But, elevation from baroness to countess would be a nice step up which a Conservative might appreciate.

Return to Honorverse