Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S, Theemile and 28 guests

Spoilers Treecats post UH

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Spoilers Treecats post UH
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:46 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Annachie wrote:On Sphinx? I tend to doubt it.
Maybe some middle scale for celery.

On other planets however I can picture city sized domes as nature reserves for tree cats.

Somewhere that native Sphinx flaura and fauna can go, without danger of infesting other biomes, or being infested themselves.

Hell, maybe even space stations.

This is where I picture Honor, and others, setting up a Treecat foundation for setting up and maintaining such domes, and for managing Treecats working for human society.

Has anyone (besides myself) noticed that a real lot of these proposals would change the meaning of treecat existence?

They live in clans, protect their young. They have the right to their own evolution.

The proposals tend to sound like the proponents of big government here now. Always a good program that will provide things in exchange for giving up some decision making.

Let the treecats decide what they want.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:41 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
Has anyone (besides myself) noticed that a real lot of these proposals would change the meaning of treecat existence?

They live in clans, protect their young. They have the right to their own evolution.

The proposals tend to sound like the proponents of big government here now. Always a good program that will provide things in exchange for giving up some decision making.

Yes, treecats existence will change. It must. As Golden song asked Brightwater Clan, "would we stay kittens forever?"

Growing up means adapting on one's own to the larger world that exists, not the smaller world others prepare for you to live in.
Post by pappilon   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:29 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:

Yes, treecats existence will change. It must. As Golden song asked Brightwater Clan, "would we stay kittens forever?"

Growing up means adapting on one's own to the larger world that exists, not the smaller world others prepare for you to live in.

Was Treecats, not SFS that decided to move to Grayson. IIRC. Was treecats, IIRC, that decided being limited to one planet is too risky. Was treecats decided to be security guards for two Legs fighting to protect their planet. I think whatever the treecats as a society want, Honor, Harrington Steading, QE III, SEM, will see to it that it is done.

Enabling free choice is not, in my opinion, big government imposing it's will. And with treecats guarding Havenite two legs in Nouveau Paris, Setting up clan units is a logical next step. Even call it the treecat embassy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Annachie   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:26 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

And with treecats guarding Havenite two legs in Nouveau Paris, Setting up clan units is a logical next step. Even call it the treecat embassy.

Yes. If only to give them somewhere to retreat to for a break/holiday.

Especially Haven and Pottsdam.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by pappilon   » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:48 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Annachie wrote:
And with treecats guarding Havenite two legs in Nouveau Paris, Setting up clan units is a logical next step. Even call it the treecat embassy.

Yes. If only to give them somewhere to retreat to for a break/holiday.

Especially Haven and Pottsdam.

Pottsdam? Didn't remember them making it into the AE yet. But I'm sure its coming.

I had a bit more than that in mind. There cats aren't bonded, they still need the social interaction of more cats. having their own mates and clan is probably thennext logical step.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by Theemile   » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:06 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
Annachie wrote:On Sphinx? I tend to doubt it.
Maybe some middle scale for celery.

On other planets however I can picture city sized domes as nature reserves for tree cats.

Somewhere that native Sphinx flaura and fauna can go, without danger of infesting other biomes, or being infested themselves.

Hell, maybe even space stations.

This is where I picture Honor, and others, setting up a Treecat foundation for setting up and maintaining such domes, and for managing Treecats working for human society.

I mentioned elsewhere, we will probably see the emergence of "Ludite cat" clans what don't want to change and want to continue the "old ways" in isolation. What they end up with will probably be different from the actual old ways - but still living in small, isolated communities with little contact with Humanity.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by pappilon   » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:26 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:
I mentioned elsewhere, we will probably see the emergence of "Ludite cat" clans what don't want to change and want to continue the "old ways" in isolation. What they end up with will probably be different from the actual old ways - but still living in small, isolated communities with little contact with Humanity.

Those staying on Sphinx will be living the old ways. I'm sure the majority of cats will do so. And other clans will form on the other worlds. Indeed they must, if the goal of establishing colonies on other worlds is to be realized.

Question is: of those choosing to emigrate to other worlds, how much or little of "the old ways" can they be able to maintain? They seem to be a conservative society. So I doubt they will be doing supermarkets, golf carts and pizzarias.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:54 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:So I doubt they will be doing supermarkets, golf carts and pizzarias.

I imagine they'll probably embrace Celery Salons "featuring genuine Sphinx Celery."
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by ywing14   » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:31 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I would not be surprised to see the clans spread out through space. That's notionally what Honor was pondering when the cats came with her to Grayson. Species change all the time. The cats realize now that they have to fundamentally change there existence now because of the Yawata Strike.
Post by dscott8   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:53 am

dscott8
Commodore

I think a lot will change with the inevitable publication of "A History Of The People" by Samantha Golden Voice, as told to Dr. Adelina Arif. It will be a runaway best seller, and will be the change agent that clues two-legs up about the depth and richness of treecat society.

Treecats are no longer concealing their talents and cleverness, and are seeking ways to helpfully integrate into two-leg society. I can see the 'cats hiring out to audit business negotiations, acting as "lie detectors" for law enforcement and the courts, and vetting people for both private sector jobs and public service. Some will become child care professionals, guiding developing minds while also acting as protectors. Because they're a communal society, some of their earnings will be pooled to finance 'cat colonies on other worlds.

I'd like to think they would also finance the development of sign language to speech/text translators (something we two-legs have already experimented with). They would have an interest in removing the need for every two-leg to learn sign language.

Legal issues on the status of treecats would be complex. The SEM is committed to protecting their home range rights on Sphinx, but 'cats living elsewhere would have to negotiate status with new host worlds if they choose to purchase land and live in the wild. Treecats living in two-leg society have been treated as minor children, but that will change as they demonstrate more of their abilities. At some point, issues such as citizenship and voting rights will have to be addressed. The SEM's voting requirement of having to pay more in taxes than you receive in benefits will be hard to figure for treecats -- is part of the Sphinx Forestry Service budget considered a direct benefit to be allocated among all 'cats living in the wild? Such 'cats would have little or no taxable income, and would have to depend on the votes of 'cats living among two-legs and earning wages.

The question of a treecat peerage would be a real can of worms. Treecat society is a meritocracy; the elders are chosen from those who are best at various skills. I suspect that 'cats would find the idea of inherited authority slightly ridiculous, but would it be in their own interest to reject representation in the House of Lords? The Crown might grant life peerages to 'cats chosen by their clans to represent them.

To me, the key question is whether the 'cats status is that of full citizens of the Star Empire, or a separate nation and "affiliated power".

Return to Honorverse