Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Travis Long & his lack of recognition

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Travis Long & his lack of recognition
Post by wrlee1966   » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:08 am

wrlee1966
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

IIRC, David Weber said (in a podcast) that Travis Long was as important to the development of the RMN as Edward Saganami, but nobody has heard of him. I interpreted that as meaning nobody remembers what he did to be so important. Perhaps nobody realized at the time what he had started.[/quote]

Or no one has talked about him yet in the books. I am sure in the honorverse people know him and I bet the RMN know him as well it is just so far no one has talked about him where we can hear them.
Post by saber964   » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:17 pm

saber964
Admiral

wrlee1966 wrote:IIRC, David Weber said (in a podcast) that Travis Long was as important to the development of the RMN as Edward Saganami, but nobody has heard of him. I interpreted that as meaning nobody remembers what he did to be so important. Perhaps nobody realized at the time what he had started.

Or no one has talked about him yet in the books. I am sure in the honorverse people know him and I bet the RMN know him as well it is just so far no one has talked about him where we can hear them.[/quote]

He could also be like Eugene Ely was to the development of naval aviation. Outside a narrow field of history very few knows what he did. FYI he was the first person to take off from and later land on a stationary ship in 1910 and 1911.
Post by George J. Smith   » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:01 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

I wonder if one of rfc's collaborators would care to write a short story in the modern Honorverse that mentions Travis specifically but, like Alfred's citation, the circumstances are classified.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by HungryKing   » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:32 pm

HungryKing
Captain (Junior Grade)

In order to have as great an impact as Saganami, we are talking about writing a major part of its ethos. That does not mean that history did not erase his footsteps, like it did in Stephanie Harrington's case. But remember the RMN of the mainline considers the battle of Carson to be the defining moment.
Now what do we know about where the RMN is headed?
We know that Edward's idea of importing a complete techbase is followed, probably directly rather than piecemeal, thanks to the fact that this is where the SKM gets its latent xenophobia.
We also know that the RMN somehow sides up with lots of frigates, even before that force posture makes sense due to the merchant marine, now where do they come from, I wonder?
Post by Fox2!   » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:46 am

Fox2!
Commodore

HungryKing wrote:In order to have as great an impact as Saganami, we are talking about writing a major part of its ethos. That does not mean that history did not erase his footsteps, like it did in Stephanie Harrington's case. But remember the RMN of the mainline considers the battle of Carson to be the defining moment.
Now what do we know about where the RMN is headed?
We know that Edward's idea of importing a complete techbase is followed, probably directly rather than piecemeal, thanks to the fact that this is where the SKM gets its latent xenophobia.
We also know that the RMN somehow sides up with lots of frigates, even before that force posture makes sense due to the merchant marine, now where do they come from, I wonder?

Edward probably buys a couple of FF fully built, plus kits (reactors, sensors, impellers, compensator, hyper unit, weapons) for a number more, plus technology transfer. With his background in technology and operations, he (Travis) would be a good candidate to be the "shooter" in the acquisition and development process, perhaps with The Fair Lisa as the Plankowner Captain of one of the first units.

Edited to clarify the pronoun - pronoun relationship. By adding a noun.
Post by Fox2!   » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:41 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Fox2! wrote:
Edward probably buys a couple of FF fully built, plus kits (reactors, sensors, impellers, compensator, hyper unit, weapons) for a number more, plus technology transfer. With his background in technology and operations, he (Travis) would be a good candidate to be the "shooter" in the acquisition and development process, perhaps with The Fair Lisa as the Plankowner Captain of one of the first units.

Edited to clarify the pronoun - pronoun relationship. By adding a noun.

Of course, all of the highly connected hangers-on who have been stuck as the senior Lieutenant or Lieutenant Commander on a ship would want to move to the new FF force, especially as the corvettes move over to MPARS. Or the scrap heap.
Post by kenl511   » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:31 am

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

Wasn't Travis Tea's academics in Astrophysics? Which could make him important in establishing the survey and exploration functions of the RMN.
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:02 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

kenl511 wrote:Wasn't Travis Tea's academics in Astrophysics? Which could make him important in establishing the survey and exploration functions of the RMN.

Call to Duty doesn't mention what his college degree is in. His first school was for Impellers. After the "Cheating Scandal" he was reassigned to the gravitics course.

Since the two programs deal with gravity effects, hyper physics might be an obvious course of study. I don't know, though, how useful that might be for somebody who isn't going into engineering or R&D.
Post by wrlee1966   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:56 am

wrlee1966
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

You know I would like to see Travis called into see King Edward and have him explain to Travis why he is not getting medals or recognition. Kinda like When The Queen called in Honor to explain about Young. And this lets Travis know he really is appreciated by King and country and this gives him strength to continue on. And some where LT Donnely gets him his recognition and when that happens Travis side squarely with the RMN and this spikes his brothers plans.
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:07 am

Fox2!
Commodore

wrlee1966 wrote:You know I would like to see Travis called into see King Edward and have him explain to Travis why he is not getting medals or recognition. Kinda like When The Queen called in Honor to explain about Young. And this lets Travis know he really is appreciated by King and country and this gives him strength to continue on. And some where LT Donnely gets him his recognition and when that happens Travis side squarely with the RMN and this spikes his brothers plans.

By now, The Fair Lisa (TM) is a (Lieutenant) Commander.

I was reading A Call to Arms last night, and in consecutive paragraphs, the text refers to her as a Lieutenant Commander, a Lieutenant, and then a Lieutenant Commander again (during the Battle of Manticore, when one of the MPARS corvettes make contact with her ship and admits that their tactical officer isn't Honor Harrington. Or even Scotty Tremain.)

Return to Honorverse