Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests

The worst case Scenario! Manticore has Fallen!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The worst case Scenario! Manticore has Fallen!
Post by BrigadeΔ   » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:59 am

BrigadeΔ
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

In the origional premise of this topic I imagine the eridani edict would not last and Ghost rider drones at 0.8 C will do nasty things to earth (and mars to probably)
Post by SWM   » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:26 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

BrigadeΔ wrote:In the origional premise of this topic I imagine the eridani edict would not last and Ghost rider drones at 0.8 C will do nasty things to earth (and mars to probably)

David has been pretty clear that people in the Honorverse really don't think that way. Violation of the Edict is unthinkable to almost everyone. It's rather disturbing that so many posters are ready to see widespread genocide as an option.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by n7axw   » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:06 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:
BrigadeΔ wrote:In the origional premise of this topic I imagine the eridani edict would not last and Ghost rider drones at 0.8 C will do nasty things to earth (and mars to probably)

David has been pretty clear that people in the Honorverse really don't think that way. Violation of the Edict is unthinkable to almost everyone. It's rather disturbing that so many posters are ready to see widespread genocide as an option.

Yeah, SWM... I've wondered about that myself. It sometimes seems that some of us haven't grasped the values governing the way David writes. That might be understandable if an individual has only read a book or two, but it starts to stretch it if someone has read the whole Honorverse opus.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:04 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

SWM wrote:

But the Malign don't seem to have any problem with killing millions of people/sentients/animals as a direct or indirect consequence of attacks. Not to mention their eventual intention to put down what they determine to be degenerates.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Somtaaw   » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:34 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

SWM wrote:David has been pretty clear that people in the Honorverse really don't think that way. Violation of the Edict is unthinkable to almost everyone. It's rather disturbing that so many posters are ready to see widespread genocide as an option.

You are correct in that the majority of the Honorverse are averse to breaking the Eridani Edict. But Masada, Warnecke, Randsom, Saint-Just, People's Navy in Exile, Solarian Gendarmerie, MAlign, ... I think I've missed a few other notables. But the list is getting longer and longer, with people willing to break the EE, or commit similar "crimes".

If the Mandarins ever got their hands on HHA, and did a Randsom on her, I'm fairly sure Grayson would go berserk. They'd already almost gone off the reservation the first time Honor was hung, finding out she was executed (for real) in addition to Manticore being subjected to EE violations... forgive me, tactical precision strikes? Grayson would go scorched earth policy on every SLN base they could reach.

Probably with the core tactic of come racing in, abusing their compensator advantage, roll pods and launch at near maximum range, and roll ship to be heading back across the hyper limit while they (potentially using Apollo) to guide their birds in.
Post by SWM   » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:45 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
SWM wrote:David has been pretty clear that people in the Honorverse really don't think that way. Violation of the Edict is unthinkable to almost everyone. It's rather disturbing that so many posters are ready to see widespread genocide as an option.

But the Malign don't seem to have any problem with killing millions of people/sentients/animals as a direct or indirect consequence of attacks. Not to mention their eventual intention to put down what they determine to be degenerates.

Yes, the Mesan Alignment is an aberration. I'm not talking about what a relatively small group of monomaniacal criminals would do.

The poster was suggesting that the Manticoran navy would engage in Edict violations. Others have suggested that the Solarian League would start widespread and unlimited Edict violations during the war. Some have suggested that as the Solarian League collapses and is no longer able to enforce the Edict, many star nations would begin Edict violations against their enemies.

That just doesn't fit with David's statements about the general support that the galaxy has for the Edict. Most people aren't going to run around violating the Edict just because no one is there to enforce it. The Edict has been ingrained in interstellar politics for hundreds of years. The vast majority of star nations are not hungrily waiting for the chance to kill entire populations.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by n7axw   » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:52 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:

Yes, the Mesan Alignment is an aberration. I'm not talking about what a relatively small group of monomaniacal criminals would do.

The poster was suggesting that the Manticoran navy would engage in Edict violations. Others have suggested that the Solarian League would start widespread and unlimited Edict violations during the war. Some have suggested that as the Solarian League collapses and is no longer able to enforce the Edict, many star nations would begin Edict violations against their enemies.

That just doesn't fit with David's statements about the general support that the galaxy has for the Edict. Most people aren't going to run around violating the Edict just because no one is there to enforce it. The Edict has been ingrained in interstellar politics for hundreds of years. The vast majority of star nations are not hungrily waiting for the chance to kill entire populations.

Add into SWM's comment here, the Alliance is being portrayed as the good guys. That is just a wee bit different than the Alignment.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Honorverse