Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests

Origin of the BSL idea

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Origin of the BSL idea
Post by kzt   » Sun May 17, 2015 12:19 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Sure, as long as I get to determine "need". As opposed to Adolf Eichmann or Lavrentiy Beria, who are the type of people who naturally gyrate towards those sorts of jobs.
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun May 17, 2015 1:32 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

kzt wrote:Sure, as long as I get to determine "need". As opposed to Adolf Eichmann or Lavrentiy Beria, who are the type of people who naturally gyrate towards those sorts of jobs.

I'm thinking more in terms of, "I want a new car" not "I need a new car", when the car I currently have is adequate.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by clancy688   » Sun May 17, 2015 1:48 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

Hornblower wrote:The problem in Germany is that if you have the new minimun wage of € 8.50 / hour your total tax deduction (including social security) on a pay increase is over 50%.

Um, WHAT? Oo

My hourly salary is more than double that minimum wage, yet my overall tax deduction (including social security) is just a bit over 40%. And I'm single.

If you are on minimum wage, you'll get ~1500 € a month. Of that, you have to pay 400 € in social security and taxes (taxes are actually only 100 €), leaving you with 1100 €. That's less than 1/3 you have to shed. Even if you double that to ~3000 € a month, you'll still manage to hold on to roughly 2/3 (1100 in social security and taxes, giving you 1900 €). So if you're on a minimum wage (1500 € gross, 1100 € net), and your pay is doubled (3000 € gross, 1900 € net), your net income still goes up by 70%.

So no idea where you are getting your 50% number from.
Post by kzt   » Sun May 17, 2015 1:52 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:I'm thinking more in terms of, "I want a new car" not "I need a new car", when the car I currently have is adequate.

I'm thinking more that "The state needs uranium and you need to do productive work instead your so called "artwork" you want to do, so off to Kolyma with you."
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sun May 17, 2015 4:47 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Hey again T2m,

Yes, half of that 15% is employer paid, but isnt it the same for the 1970 number as well? so its an actaul overall change for the worker of an extra 3% removed, and another 3% from the business.

For tax rates, yeah deductions and that throw it way out, and Im a kiwi, so no idea what exemptions and such may apply, but i was hoping that there might at least be some basic level of the taxes over time that might be slightly comparable.

Good to talk. :)

thinkstoomuch wrote:
But you miss a large portion of the problems with Social Security.

Half of that 15.3% you quote is not earned income. So add that 7.65% to current wages in the US. It never shows on a paystub except as an employer expense. Which

Just like what has been quoted for medical insurance. If the employer is paying it the worker never shows it as income, another unpaid benefit. So with ACA employer must pay it. Many thousands of dollars that still won't show up as worker income.

Which will makes productivity here in the US look great. But will be a false image.

Would take to long to for me to really sort out maybe PeterZ can explain the stuff better.

Comparing income tax rates other than SS (direct payroll/employer deduction with minimum fuss) is waste. Nobody actually pays the rate. Deductions mean that the average 50% of the people pay about 2-3% of their adjusted gross income (last I looked).

Which is why simplifying our tax code is such a bother. "Don't gore me get that other fat rich B******d not me".

There are deductions for just about everything, or so it seems. For example I with just personal deductions pay ~6 or 7% of my real retirement income. Which is way above average for my income group according to the IRS. Though I don't pay SS as it is "retirement income". No state tax either as FL just soaks the silly touristas. :lol:

Which is sort of Relax's point up thread. Why worry about saving when the Feds or somebody else do it for you "enjoy today, someone else will pay for that rainy day." Which I have demonstrated is a serious problem (with BEA data). Somehow in recession the US savings rate goes up. Less income but save at a higher rate, how's that work? Rhetorical question lots goes into that. Probably including who holds on to their job and who gets walking papers on average.

Have a good summer,
T2M

PS this was really doing to be a short post. Have no clue how it got so big. Again! :lol: :lol: :lol:
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by SWM   » Sun May 17, 2015 5:52 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

This should probably go to alt.politics--I mean, Free-Range.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Hornblower   » Sun May 17, 2015 5:58 pm

Hornblower
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

clancy688 wrote:
Hornblower wrote:The problem in Germany is that if you have the new minimun wage of € 8.50 / hour your total tax deduction (including social security) on a pay increase is over 50%.

Um, WHAT? Oo

My hourly salary is more than double that minimum wage, yet my overall tax deduction (including social security) is just a bit over 40%. And I'm single.

If you are on minimum wage, you'll get ~1500 € a month. Of that, you have to pay 400 € in social security and taxes (taxes are actually only 100 €), leaving you with 1100 €. That's less than 1/3 you have to shed. Even if you double that to ~3000 € a month, you'll still manage to hold on to roughly 2/3 (1100 in social security and taxes, giving you 1900 €). So if you're on a minimum wage (1500 € gross, 1100 € net), and your pay is doubled (3000 € gross, 1900 € net), your net income still goes up by 70%.

So no idea where you are getting your 50% number from.

You have a gross increase of € 1500. You keep € 800 which is about half!
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Sun May 17, 2015 7:24 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

SWM wrote:This should probably go to alt.politics--I mean, Free-Range.

OOPS :oops: I thought it was politics. Could have sworn that was what I saw when I made my original post. Teach me to just click the new post link.

Thanks for the correction.

My apologies all. You may now return to your original Honorverse programming.

Enjoy all,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by Garth 2   » Sun May 24, 2015 5:10 am

Garth 2
Captain of the List

In the confines of the series we know that the MA 'encouraged' the Haven Liberal media to push forward the BLS idea to weaken the Republic and the surrounding area.

Hopefully in 'House of Lies', we will find out more.

Return to Honorverse