Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests

Yet another (crazy) idea.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Yet another (crazy) idea.
Post by SWM   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:58 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:LAC count wise, thanks for the info. I'd totally missed the launch ratio despite reading the whole series a number of times now. Also, propulsion wise, I stand corrected, thought that was just he spider-drives that were doing that, which is what made them such a difficult proposition to track. If RFC says otherwise, however, I'm not gonna argue.

As far as the "instantaneous acceleration to lightspeed", on an atomic level, that's what I thought that the impellers were doing in N-space: grabbing photons/atoms etc., using the gravitic bands of the wedge and throwing them backwards, and deriving their acceleration from that force.

For example, you grab a bit of space dust out there, and the wedge accelerates it to near-C, using however much E required to do so, for the sake of discussion, call it a million to one proposition. The equal and opposite reaction would be a force pushing one million bits of space dust in the other direction.

Now then, obviously a ship is a whole lot more bits of way heavier molecules than "space dust millions", but the math seems more match-able to real world physics.

No, the impeller is most definitely not a reaction drive. The text is very clear on that.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:54 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:I believe the textev later in War of Honor, plus AAC and David's posts, puts the Cimeterre at 25,000 tons, with the Alpha and Beta birds closer to 20,000 tons.

Since all previous LAC's were generally in the 10-11 KT range or less, and given RFC's condemnation of super or big LAC's in the pearls, I took the 30-40 KT size reference to be an indication of what size the peeps/RHN thought they needed to do the same things they knew the Shrike could, in part simply because we had no textev of any LAC's of such size.
Wow, my memory must be going.

I was going to say I didn't remember LACs that small, but then I went and checked my notes and did a trawl though the ebooks. Excluding the new Mantie designs here's what I found:

RMN Series 282-class (HoS): 17,750 tons (the improved LACs Honor took to Silesia) - although by this point you're getting density without corresponding increase in volume; these are smaller in every dimension that the preceding Highlander class, despite massing over 50% more

RMN Highlander-class (HoS): 11,250 tons
GSN Faith-class (HoS): 11,250 tons
SCN Mazur-class (SITS): 12,250 tons
RHN Program 13-class (Jaynes): 10,250 tons
RMN LAC <unknown>-class (OBS): "barely" 10,000 tons (Honor's first command)
GSN LACs <unknown>-class (HotQ): "barely" 11,000 tons
Masadan LACs <unknown>-class (HotQ): "barely" 9,000 tons
Nuncio LACs <unknown>-class (SoS): 18,000 tons
Nuncio LACs <unknown>-class (SoS): 15,000 tons

There were only 3 additional places (beyond the quote about Cord's clean-sheet design) that mentioned "huge" LACs.
Two of them were in the (identical) glossary entries in WoH and AAC
At All Costs / War of Honor: Glossary wrote:LAC—
Light Attack Craft. A sublight warship type, incapable of entering hyper, which masses between 40,000 and 60,000 tons. Until recently, considered an obsolete and ineffective warship good for little but customs duty and light patrol work. Advances in technology have changed that view of it.

The third was a conversation between Tourville and Honeker in AoV about Mantie "Super LACs"
Ashes of Victory: Chapter 13 wrote: "But like you, I was thinking about the hardware side of his report and wishing the Board had been given a chance to see it before it issued its official conclusions," the citizen admiral went on. "Not that it would have convinced the doubters . . . or even me—fully, I mean—I suppose. It just doesn't seem possible that even the Manties could squeeze a fusion plant, and a full set of beta nodes, down into a LAC hull and then find room to cram in a godawful graser like the one Diamato described, as well!"
"I've never really understood that," Honeker said, admitting a degree of technical ignorance no "proper" people's commissioner would display. "I mean, we put fusion plants into pinnaces, and isn't a LAC just a scaled-up pinnace, when all's said and done?"
"Um." Tourville scratched an eyebrow while he considered the best way to explain. "I can see why you might think that," he acknowledged after a moment, "but it's not just a matter of scale. Or, rather, it is a matter of scale, in a way, but one in which the difference is so great as to create a difference in kind, as well.
"A pinnace has a far weaker wedge than any regular warship or merchantman. It's enormously smaller, for one thing, not more than a kilometer in width, and less powerful. The little hip-pocket fusion plants we put into small craft couldn't even begin to power an all-up wedge for a ship the size of a LAC. Which is just as well, because they use old-fashioned mag bottle technology and laser-fired fusing that's not a lot more advanced than they were using back on Old Earth Ante Diaspora. We've made a hell of a lot of advances since then, of course, in order to shoehorn the plants down to fit into pinnaces, but the way they're built puts a low absolute ceiling on their output.
"Even the biggest pinnace or assault shuttle comes in at well under a thousand tons, though, and a worthwhile LAC has to be in the thirty- to fifty-thousand-ton range just to pack in its impellers and any armament at all. Remember that courier boats in the same size range don't carry any weapons or defenses and just barely manage to find someplace to squeeze in a hyper generator. A LAC may be smaller than a starship, but it still has to be able to achieve high acceleration rates (which means a military grade compensator), produce sidewalls, power its weapons—and find places to mount them—and generally act like a serious warship, or else people would simply ignore it. Which means that, like any starship, LACs need modern grav-fusing plants to maintain the power levels they require. And there are limits on how small you can make one of those."
The citizen vice admiral twitched a shrug.
"Of course, the designers can cut some corners when they design a LAC. For one thing, they don't try to build in a power plant which can meet all requirements out of current generating capacity. Ton-for-ton, LACs have enormous capacitor rings, much larger than anything else's, even an SD. They're a lot smaller in absolute terms, naturally, given the difference in size between the ships involved, but most energy-armed LACs rely on the capacitor rings to power their offensive armament, and a lot of them rely on the capacitors even for their point-defense clusters. And not even a superdreadnought has enough onboard power generation to bring its wedge up initially without using its capacitors. Just maintaining it once it is up, even with the energy-siphon effect when it twists over into hyper, requires a huge investment in power, and initiating the impeller bands in the first place raises the power requirement exponentially. So even when they're not doing anything else, most warships tend to have at least one fusion plant on-line to charge up their capacitor rings . . . and, of course, a LAC only has one power plant, and just keeping it up and running requires its own not insubstantial power investment.
"And that's why so many of our own shipyard people will tell you that anything like Diamato's 'super LACs' is flatly impossible. Either the damned things have to be bigger than Diamato thought they were, or else there's some serious mistake in his estimate of the destructiveness he claims they were capable of handing out."
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:16 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:Got to go with Relax here, Harold (not a maintenance guy, but I've been around a base or three).

Like I said: I spent 21 years, three months and three days -- minus basic training -- in aircraft maintenance.

Hutch wrote: Normally you are doing good to have 90% FMC (Fully Mission Capable). And something I've always admired about the MWW is that he had taken mantenance into account in his books....something that may affect the SEM/Grayson readiness rates in the near future.

But for one extremely critical mission with maximum force and all spares and requirements put on highest priority for delivery of parts (even if you have to strip non-participating ships), then you can get a 100% for a very brief time.

Hanger Queens can't fly because they need things, like rudder actuators, wing hinges, Landing gear bearing mounts, and other things that aren't normally stocked because they are expected to go bad often enough to make it economical.

No amount of mission criticality or high priority will make a hanger queen fly. The "non-participating ships" you postulate are called "Hanger Queens." Most hanger queens get to be hanger queens because they are cannibalized to keep other planes from becoming hanger queens. All of the problems that would keep a craft redlined get consolidated into one craft -- and that craft will NOT fly because it is redlined for every redlineable fault in the squadron.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by JeffEngel   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:21 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:Hanger Queens can't fly because they need things, like rudder actuators, wing hinges, Landing gear bearing mounts, and other things that aren't normally stocked because they are expected to go bad often enough to make it economical.

No amount of mission criticality or high priority will make a hanger queen fly. The "non-participating ships" you postulate are called "Hanger Queens." Most hanger queens get to be hanger queens because they are cannibalized to keep other planes from becoming hanger queens. All of the problems that would keep a craft redlined get consolidated into one craft -- and that craft will NOT fly because it is redlined for every redlineable fault in the squadron.

So... it's spare parts with a hull designation then?
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:38 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:So... it's spare parts with a hull designation then?

Yes and no. Any Hanger Queen will eventually fly again, but often at the expense of some other craft becoming a hanger queen to replace the parts. While a craft is a hanger queen, it is treated as "spare parts with a hull number" but it usually isn't a permanent condition.

Post by Theemile   » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:48 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

Yes and no. Any Hanger Queen will eventually fly again, but often at the expense of some other craft becoming a hanger queen to replace the parts. While a craft is a hanger queen, it is treated as "spare parts with a hull number" but it usually isn't a permanent condition.

The original Minotaur had 12 lACs in storage to replace damaged/destroyed craft. Couldn't one of those wear said crown?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:52 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Theemile wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:

The original Minotaur had 12 lACs in storage to replace damaged/destroyed craft. Couldn't one of those wear said crown?

In part. If you are in combat however, those 12 are going to be quickly used up replacing LACs that did no return, or returned so shot up that they have to be replaced.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:01 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:The original Minotaur had 12 lACs in storage to replace damaged/destroyed craft. Couldn't one of those wear said crown?

Probably not. More likely, one would be pulled to replace a redlined craft and the redlined craft swapped into the reserve -- if not just dumped overboard. That only works for a few maintenance casualties before REMF bean-counters start asking questions about why you can't maintain readiness without using up your spares.

Post by kzt   » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:19 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

You are preparing for the biggest operation in history. LACs are produced in huge numbers by both the RMN and RHN in factories, WW2 aircraft style. Deadlined equipment will be replaced for this during the prep and train-up phase. This is a clue for those who are involved that something very big is going on.
Post by Belial666   » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:12 am

Belial666
Commodore

And that's one possible reason you aren't going to do it, if you want to maintain operational security.

Return to Honorverse