Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Honorcon 2014--The report thread

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorcon 2014--The report thread
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:47 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

And RFC said a couple times that he sees it taking 2 more books to wrap the main Honor Harrington story line.

House of Lie, the second Honorverse companion, is still in process but they didn't announce any estimated release date.

Timothy Zahn is of course working on the second book in the Manticore Ascendant series (sequel to A Call to Duty)

Evergreen did announce another video game, conceptually similar to the "Walking Dead" episodic adventure game by Telltale Games. (more details in a previous post).

The people behind the Saginami Island Tactical Simulator (SITS) wargame mentioned that they hope to get permissions to extend it into some of the newer ships and designs. But they won't be announcing anything official until all that is actually nailed down, developed, approved, and very close to ready to go. So don't expect anything soon.
(I watch various people playing it in the games room, and it's interesting, but I'd really want a computerized version to handle all the dice rolling, visualization, and stats tracking - calculating turns seemed to take ages; although some of that was teaching unfamiliar people how to play)
Post by acemarke   » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:19 pm

acemarke
Midshipman

Jonathan_S wrote:The people behind the Saginami Island Tactical Simulator (SITS) wargame mentioned that they hope to get permissions to extend it into some of the newer ships and designs. But they won't be announcing anything official until all that is actually nailed down, developed, approved, and very close to ready to go. So don't expect anything soon.
(I watch various people playing it in the games room, and it's interesting, but I'd really want a computerized version to handle all the dice rolling, visualization, and stats tracking - calculating turns seemed to take ages; although some of that was teaching unfamiliar people how to play)

I actually asked the lady at the SITS booth exactly that question. Unfortunately, it seems that Evergreen's license covers ALL electronic rights, so Evergreen would have to approve any kind of software related to SITS. She also said it would have to involve Evergreen approaching them.

That said, yes, I totally agree with you. I'm a big Battletech fan, and the fan-made Megamek computer conversion is a great adaptation.
Post by Evergreen Studios   » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:17 pm

Evergreen Studios
Official Representative

For those who couldn't attend ; the Nimitz animation we showed at HonorCon can be seen here.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6403
Post by Neitz   » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:45 pm

Neitz
BuNine

Guspaz wrote:Wish I could be there! I had a great time last year, but sadly I procrastinated on getting my passport renewed, and by the time I realized it, there was no way I was going to get a valid passport in time for the trip down south to Honorcon.

Guspaz, the next opportunity for you (and everyone else) to meet up with a huge number of fellow Weber fans will be six months from now at MANTICON, May 22-24, 2015 in the beautiful Twin Cities metro area in Minnesota.

David Weber and Timothy Zahn are committed to attend, as are several BuNine members. Other authors To Be Announced.

Register here: http://manticon.org/

And Like MantiCon on Facebook to get updates: http://www.facebook.com/trmnmanticon
-
WESTMARCH
http://BatRon21.org

MANTICON IS COMING!
Post by Guspaz   » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:29 am

Guspaz
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Hmm, there are even direct flights between Montreal and Minneapolis... albeit at twice the price of indirect flights to Raleigh :P

I'll look into it.
Post by lyonheart   » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:06 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Hutch,

Thanks very much for the effort of setting this report thread up, I look forward to the religious discussion video among others.

Are you considering the Manticon 2015?

L

Hutch wrote:Well, kzt and Johnathon S. beat me too it on the Evergreen portion (one of these days I'll have to buy me a handheld device....but for now I remain a Neo-Luddite).

Two earlier presentations, one from BuNine titled "What the US Navy taught me about the Honorverse". It was actaully designed for the Star Trek Universe, but he added in the Hinorverse. Rather involved and I didn't have a pen or pad of paper to take notes, but it kept everyone involved for the hour.

Next was the MWW himself, on "Grayson Religion and Marriage Practices". We got the tidbit that a lot of Grayson is based on the "Wesley Qautrilateral(sp) as defined by DW, and a hint at the end that marriage on Grayson will adapt to the changes wrought by Allison's gene therapy, and a lot of discussion on how the Doctrine of the "test" allowed Grayson to adapt to the sudden changes of it's culture.

A lot of it was David on religion in general, and since in practice I am closer to Nuncio than Grayson, I didn't really take a lot of notes. The MWW takes his religious views seriously, and I am OK with that; I simply have no truck with any religion so I am not disposed to change my mind on that.

Still, it was interesting to understand further where DW's writing is coming from.

More after lunch.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by kzt   » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:45 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Are you considering the Manticon 2015?

I'm not really. Too much Cosplay, not enough honorverse mechanics.
Post by lyonheart   » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:32 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi KZT,

Thanks for the tip.

L

kzt wrote:

Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Evergreen Studios   » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:59 pm

Evergreen Studios
Official Representative

The HonorCon introduction piece we put together can now be viewed here :

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6414
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:59 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

kzt wrote:

Sounds like just my cup of tea. Too bad I can't make it. :(
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."

Return to Honorverse