Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

How many Star Nations are there with Ships of the Wall?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: How many Star Nations are there with Ships of the Wall?
Post by Meshakhad   » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:49 pm

Meshakhad
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Theemile wrote:The Talbot system has a handful of wallers (and its own waller shipyard).

Talbott? I doubt they could afford them, and they're part of Manticore now anyway.
Post by Theemile   » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:55 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Meshakhad wrote:
Theemile wrote:The Talbot system has a handful of wallers (and its own waller shipyard).

Talbott? I doubt they could afford them, and they're part of Manticore now anyway.

No Talbot - the single system polity which was part of the Manticorian alliance in the first war and had an SD shipyard.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:33 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi saber964,

Quite right. :D

From when RFC explained that the rest of the WHJ termini didn't have SDP's etc to help at BoMA in the pearls, IIRC.

L

saber964 wrote:
Meshakhad wrote:Let's see:
1. Star Empire of Manticore
2. Republic of Haven
3. Solarian League
4. Protectorate of Grayson
5. Andermani Empire
6. Republic of Erewhon
7. Republic of Beowulf

That's 7 known. I think it's likely that Mannerheim has some, so add the Renaissance Factor as the eighth. Midgard might, maybe someone else we haven't heard of (albeit probably on the scale of Erewhon), and probably several other SDFs in the League. And Maya Sector is working on it. And while Torch won't be getting any proper SDs or DNs, a podlaying Q-ship would be able to throw around a lot of firepower.

The Midgard Federation wouldn't have wallers, IIRC the government is to poor.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Kizarvexis   » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:54 am

Kizarvexis
Captain (Junior Grade)

Never underestimate the power of political ego. Not just politicians, but of nations as well. I certainly can see some smaller nations or SDFs having a BB-DN or two for the 'look at how BA we are' syndrome.
Post by Michael Riddell   » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Michael Riddell
Captain (Junior Grade)

Kizarvexis wrote:Never underestimate the power of political ego. Not just politicians, but of nations as well. I certainly can see some smaller nations or SDFs having a BB-DN or two for the 'look at how BA we are' syndrome.

"Hey, dey got some Bling! I want some Bling too!"

Mike. ;)
---------------------
Gonnae no DAE that!

Why?

Just gonnae NO!
---------------------
Post by robert132   » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:21 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Michael Riddell wrote:
Kizarvexis wrote:Never underestimate the power of political ego. Not just politicians, but of nations as well. I certainly can see some smaller nations or SDFs having a BB-DN or two for the 'look at how BA we are' syndrome.

"Hey, dey got some Bling! I want some Bling too!"

Mike. ;)

That's often the way it worked. Back in the day, South American countries were having dreadnoughts built for them in Brit, French and German yards despite the fact that these nations were beyond dirt poor. They wanted the ships for the wars that never really happened but mostly for the prestige of having the biggest ships with the biggest guns in the neighborhood.

For all the books and stories written about the Honorverse we still know very little about the 75% or so of human colonized space outside of the Core and Haven Sectors, those areas RFC has set these stories in. I personally don't think we can discount the possibility that there are other star nations or small kingdoms / empires that have that psychological "need" to match or overawe their neighbors much like Argentina and Brazil tried in the day by buying retired WWII vintage aircraft carriers, cruisers and the like.

The Ship of the Wall is THE capital ship in the Honorverse with all the prestige and ability to generate awe in those who don't possess those weapons systems, much like aircraft carriers do today ... everybody wants one (or more) and often is willing to rob Peter to pay Paul (or the Russians) to get one.

In the Honorverse, the Battleship is classified as a Ship of the Wall, and if it's the biggest and baddest thing anyone in the neighborhood owns then the kid with the biggest toy wins ... until someone else buys or builds one bigger or builds or buys a Dreadnought, even a hand-me-down one would still be impressive as all hell.

And so it goes.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by drothgery   » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:02 am

drothgery
Admiral

RFC has indicated things do not work this way in the Honorverse. Operating ships of the wall is just too expensive to do it if you don't need to.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:58 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I still don't understand how everything costs so much. Takes time to make sure but if Earth was under one government and spent money to make a Super Dreadnought, but the power is free being fusion and materials are free being mined from the asteroids or moons, and the counter grav is free for use, what costs so much money. You develop your own systems and technologies or use the modern version of what is out there. Locally built.

The economic systems are all artificial. I have a planet with 6 billion people, more than Manticore. I have one Chinese government running everything and nothing costs anything. except time.

It isn't like there is some kind of universal money system that everybody is dependant on to make and spend the universal money. Even trade is basically barter based between systems, until established more fully. Then it is token based.

Everyone doesn't get paid in gold do they?

It is like the whole BLS in Haven, why conquer new planets when you can just print money. One world or system government can just say this is what they stuff costs and make an artificial currency to print up for the masses.
Post by crewdude48   » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:53 am

crewdude48
Commodore

Your grasp of economics is about as on point as your grasp of tactics and physics.

Lord Skimper wrote:I still don't understand how everything costs so much. Takes time to make sure but if Earth was under one government and spent money to make a Super Dreadnought, but the power is free being fusion and materials are free being mined from the asteroids or moons, and the counter grav is free for use, what costs so much money. You develop your own systems and technologies or use the modern version of what is out there. Locally built.

The economic systems are all artificial. I have a planet with 6 billion people, more than Manticore. I have one Chinese government running everything and nothing costs anything. except time.

It isn't like there is some kind of universal money system that everybody is dependant on to make and spend the universal money. Even trade is basically barter based between systems, until established more fully. Then it is token based.

Everyone doesn't get paid in gold do they?

It is like the whole BLS in Haven, why conquer new planets when you can just print money. One world or system government can just say this is what they stuff costs and make an artificial currency to print up for the masses.
Post by Roguevictory   » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:57 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

You still need things like natural resources and food which cost money Skimper and if you are just printing money inflation is a nightmare.

Return to Honorverse