Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests

Spoilers and possible Errors in House of Steel eARC

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Spoilers and possible Errors in House of Steel eARC
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:36 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

solbergb wrote:Huh. An internal stage. Instead of stacking like an Apollo moon-shot, you are thinking an outer shell for first stage, and inner shell for second stage.

That actually makes sense...what little we know of impeller tech might allow for a "Dead zone" inside the ring.

I actually think the Andies were either doing an entirely different approach, or were just doing a very inefficient version of whatever Haven did. Whereas the Cataphracts are something entirely different. But we don't really have any idea. I'm just guessing.
Internal or partially internal.

What I was really, personally, visualizing was something like an a staged rocket where it necks down for the upper stage. The (rear positioned) 2nd stage impeller ring would be recessed back into the main stage body, but the bulk of the 2nd stage would be a smaller diameter projection out the nose of the large 1st stage. (So the aft portion of the 1st stage would still be full of capacitors and other normal missile components)
Post by BrightSoul   » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:11 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
solbergb wrote:Huh. An internal stage. Instead of stacking like an Apollo moon-shot, you are thinking an outer shell for first stage, and inner shell for second stage.

That actually makes sense...what little we know of impeller tech might allow for a "Dead zone" inside the ring.

I actually think the Andies were either doing an entirely different approach, or were just doing a very inefficient version of whatever Haven did. Whereas the Cataphracts are something entirely different. But we don't really have any idea. I'm just guessing.
Internal or partially internal.

What I was really, personally, visualizing was something like an a staged rocket where it necks down for the upper stage. The (rear positioned) 2nd stage impeller ring would be recessed back into the main stage body, but the bulk of the 2nd stage would be a smaller diameter projection out the nose of the large 1st stage. (So the aft portion of the 1st stage would still be full of capacitors and other normal missile components)

Considering the extreme space limitations of these missiles, as has been hammered on throughout the series, I doubt there was any recessing of nodes involved. That' would be the reason for this baffle shielding over the inactive nodes. Whether it is setup like figure A or Figure B below is the real question.

Nodes by stage marked as numerals.

The business end is on the left.

Fig A: 1-2-3--------3-2-1 this solution would require baffles for every node as they would be between the previous stage's nodes.

Fig B: 3-2-1--------3-2-1 this solution may only require baffles for the rear nodes as the front nodes are not between the first stage nodes.

At least that's kinda what I've been envisioning, RFC can slap me down at his leisure.
Post by TheMonster   » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:02 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:Because in order to get the crazy high acceleration that you get for missiles, the drive nodes burn out. Once that happens, the nodes for the second stage activate. They could make nodes that work for longer periods of time, but they would only have the speed of an RD. We had a discussion on this a while ago.

CMac wrote:Does the new eArc answer why Manticore missiles still have stages? It doesn't really make sense to me that once they were able to put the super dense fusion reactors on board that the missile would still have staged drives. Why not use a single drive for the entire run since it now has a fusion reactor powering it, just like a ship does.
At the risk of being considered pedantic, RMN missiles don't have a second stage. That's what the SLN Cataphracts have. That's the main difference in the technologies; the Haven Quadrant militaries have developed missiles with multiple drives all powered by a single energy source, while the Solarian effort uses separate stages, each of which has not only the drive but the energy source too.

That means that Cataphracts are far larger than MDMs for the same payload. It also explains why Solarian commanders consistently underestimate what MDMs can do.
Post by crewdude48   » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:07 am

crewdude48
Commodore

Missiles only have nodes at the aft end. it would look like:
==========321=

What i suspect they do for a Cataphract is pull the warhead and laser rods out of the nose of a missile, and snug what is basically a CM with a warhead on it into the cavity that was left behind. This would make the missile longer, and explain why you can only get the BC strength missile out of the tubes on an SD.

BrightSoul wrote:Considering the extreme space limitations of these missiles, as has been hammered on throughout the series, I doubt there was any recessing of nodes involved. That' would be the reason for this baffle shielding over the inactive nodes. Whether it is setup like figure A or Figure B below is the real question.

Nodes by stage marked as numerals.

The business end is on the left.

Fig A: 1-2-3--------3-2-1 this solution would require baffles for every node as they would be between the previous stage's nodes.

Fig B: 3-2-1--------3-2-1 this solution may only require baffles for the rear nodes as the front nodes are not between the first stage nodes.

At least that's kinda what I've been envisioning, RFC can slap me down at his leisure.
Post by Korgano   » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:01 pm

Korgano
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I know it's too late for submitting a correction, but somebody reported the error in the RMN Officer uniform illustration?
In the image presents the uniform of a Fleet Admiral with a white beret and as far as I know Honor is the only admiral with a white beret..
Post by Duckk   » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:02 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Yeah, we're aware of it.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by pokermind   » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:14 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Korgano wrote:I know it's too late for submitting a correction, but somebody reported the error in the RMN Officer uniform illustration?
In the image presents the uniform of a Fleet Admiral with a white beret and as far as I know Honor is the only admiral with a white beret..

It's Honor Harrington's Uniform with all her ribbons and stripes according to head of BuNine on Baen's Bar and, a little further in time than the other illustrations.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by clancy688   » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:07 am

clancy688
Captain of the List

One question regarding House of Steel and accel rates:

HoS tells us that Invictus-class SD(P)'s can pull 562.9 Gees of maximum accel.

But in AAC, during BoMa, HMS King Roger III, Admiral Kuzak's flagship, pulled 612 Gees (end of chapter sixty-seven).

Possible error?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:29 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

clancy688 wrote:One question regarding House of Steel and accel rates:

HoS tells us that Invictus-class SD(P)'s can pull 562.9 Gees of maximum accel.

But in AAC, during BoMa, HMS King Roger III, Admiral Kuzak's flagship, pulled 612 Gees (end of chapter sixty-seven).

Possible error?
Maybe, or maybe by BoMa that Invictus had been refitted with yet a newer compensator. As best I can tell the HoS accel rates are based on original compensators, not what the ships can do post refit.

Although the one I found a bit odd was the Culvern-class DD. It's a pre-war (1899 PD) design, and masses 104,000 tons, but has an anomalously high acceleration rate of 547.4g. (Compare the preceding Javalin-class 1883, 87,250 tons, 519.7g).

It's too early for the lead ship to benefit from the Grayson compensator tech, because Honor of the Queen wasn't until 1903.
(I find it doubly odd because the listing for it in HoS differs in only two ways from Jaynes - in service date (1889 vs 1906) and accel (547.4g vs 518.9g), the later being what you'd expect from a pre-grayson compensator)

I found it somewhat interesting to go through and compare the ship specs from those two publications (but also found that Jayne's had some internal consistency issues where the weapons count in the summary didn't always match the broadside/chase details from the diagram legends)
Post by npadln   » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:56 pm

npadln
Commander

Garth 2 wrote:so i'm just wondering how much does the jeune ecole school of though owe to Princess Roger?

I was reading the House of Steel eARC when it occurred to me, it is past time and would be timely for Manticore to formally honor Admiral Hemphill with some major award or medal for her immeasurable part in creating THE dominant navy of the known galaxy. It could be a way to assuage recalcitrant Conservatives and reinforce for the public the wisdom of King Roger's historical vision for the future security of Manticore. Perhaps a Conservative in the upper chambers can be manipulated to put forth such a recommendation? Or is it that BuWeps and BuShips must remain unheralded by the public at large?

Return to Honorverse