Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 26 guests

Out of order snippet? WHAT out of order snippet?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Out of order snippet? WHAT out of order snippet?
Post by pappilon   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:18 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:IIRC, Mesa actually has a witness to Anton's little unlocking trick.

Now if I was Admiral Henke and I had a poor innocent Seccie who was kidnapped as part of the absurd frame up of Anton, I would love to let him out and let him give his story to the media. Heck, have the media with me when he gets his freedom! It would be such a touching moment. :D

Right up until he brags he and his terrorist pals helped Anton get the nuke. :(

I don't see how having a witness say "yeah we stole the nukes and He (pointing accusingly to the Mountain Troll)" JUDGE: "Please note in the record that the witness is pointing to Mr. Zilwicki. Please continue"

"... disabled the tracking devices and told us where to plant them."

is going to help the GA's case. Besides the seccies were vigorously interrogated ... with extreme prejudice. It was intimated that they have shuffled off their mortal coils.

EDIT: Oh yeah there are the 3 women Cachat rescued that were part of that cell. I just remembered them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:30 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

pappilon wrote:
quite possibly a cat wrote:IIRC, Mesa actually has a witness to Anton's little unlocking trick.

Now if I was Admiral Henke and I had a poor innocent Seccie who was kidnapped as part of the absurd frame up of Anton, I would love to let him out and let him give his story to the media. Heck, have the media with me when he gets his freedom! It would be such a touching moment. :D

I don't see how having a witness say "yeah we stole the nukes and He (pointing accusingly to the Mountain Troll)" JUDGE: "Please note in the record that the witness is pointing to Mr. Zilwicki. Please continue"

is going to help the GA's case. Besides the seccies were vigorously interrogated ... with extreme prejudice. It was intimated that they have shuffled off their mortal coils.

EDIT: Oh yeah there are the 3 women Cachat rescued that were part of that cell. I just remembered them.

I believe there was a certain irony in the maybe cat's final paragraph.

Yeah, that testimony could pose an itty-bitty problem for Anton and the GA if it comes out, couldn't it? :roll: Golly, gee, I wonder if it'll happen? :)

On the other hand, I believe "coerced" would be a mighty pale word to described the circumstances under which the witness in question was interrogated. Might serve to undermine the testimony's credibility just a tad.

And I'm sure Anton would promise to never, ever do it again.

Not quite so sure about Black Victor, of course . . . .

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Brigade XO   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

THANK YOU:)

I get too involved with details and like seeing them. So I "had to" ask.
And I will be buying the book in any case.

runsforcelery wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:All sorts of questions come to mind about what was happening in the Mesa System from the time that the combined GA fleet showed up till the Albrect Clean Up was triggered.

1st. We haven't see what (other than sending a single DD in as advance stealth scout) the GA did right as it droped out of hyper IN A MASSIVE CLUMP. At the very least, I would have expected some contingent- of BC or other ships, possibly to include one or two SDs- to come out of hyper in an attack/blocking move at the Mesa end of the Mesa-Visagoth wormhole. At the very least, that would have stopped- shortly- any ships comming in from Visagoth from having an impact on the developing situation as even a DD parked relative to the opening of the inbound lane would be able to kill anything other than a freighter that came through. We also don't know what Visagoth has in the way of a SDF even if it decided it wanted to send forces to Mesa. Based on all the previous discussions in the boards, the last thing they would have wanted to try would be throwing a squadron of anyting through what they have to presume is a wormhole defended on the other end. If they send something, it is going to be through hyper.

Tenth Fleet’s objective was the inner system. The terminus wasn’t going anywhere. They had no quarrel with neutral shipping. They weren’t worried about the (nonexistent) Visigoth System-Defense Force because, it was, well . . . nonexistent. All of the military potential of the system was pretty much inside the hyper-limit. When they dropped out of space just outside the limit, they were between Mesa and the terminus. No one was getting to it from the system without getting past them, but unless they wanted to simply open fire on anything already in the transit queue, they couldn’t have stopped those already in the queue from leaving the system before they got there anyway. And anything in transit between the limit and the terminus was already able to hyper out the instant anyone came after it, so not even Manticoran LACs could have run down a slow, plodding freighter before it simply vanished. (Intercepting a ship outside the hyper-limit and "forcing it to heave to" in the Honorverse isn't as simple as a revenue cutter overtaking a Liberian-flagged freighter off Sandy Hook and compelling it to stop. There's a reason pirates operate inside the limit rather than outside it.)

It is, indeed, true that Mike and Lester could have deployed smaller forces to different places in and around the system. Their objectives, however, were pretty handily met by the deployment they used. For that matter, I somehow don’t recall telling you at any point that a destroyer flotilla wasn’t detached to head for the terminus after the fleet made its alpha translation. I didn’t tell you it was because that decision wasn’t really germane to the focus of the action which truly mattered: i.e., the stand down (in an act of unbridled sanity) of the MSN as the biggest damned fleet it had ever seen barreled straight in on the planet.

Did I really need to show you all the mechanics of the military installations in orbit being occupied by Manticoran and Havenite Marines as Tenth Fleet entered Mesa orbit? Did you really need to see the surrendered ships’ crews using their life pods and small craft to take everyone but a tiny caretaker crew off (as we’ve seen done before) even before the ships are boarded? Did I need to break down for you where every pinnace was at any given moment?

This is a pair of highly experienced navies doing something both of them have done many, many times, and given that Shadow was already running long, I opted not to go through all the details between the time at which Tenth Fleet arrived in system, the MSN abandoned ship, the system government officially surrendered, the initial landing parties were dispatched from the ships in orbit, and the explosions occurred.

Brigade XO wrote:
2nd. There are always going to be the possibilities of merchant shipping being too far out within the hyperlimit to intercept either on a course where the GA comes into the hyperlimit from or by comming out of hyper somewhere else on the sphear of said hyperlimit. While a lot of traffic will have been from or to the wormhole, a lot (possibly a very lot) will be on course in or from other directions. Mike and the GA TF came "generally" from the direction of Meyers to get to Mesa even of the roundevous location would probably not have been on a stright line.

Mesa in relativly close to Talbot Quadrant and we can presume some volume of traffic which would use the wormhole to get to Mesa would then probably even skip the Mesa System unless it had cargo it must take directly there instead of dropping at a freight transhipment platform by the wormhole. "Just passing through" without stopping usually means you don't have to pay customs duties or be boarded for inspection- you pay your transit fee and head on the best economical course to where you need to be next. There is also all that lovely Manpower and Alignment traffic which may not want to use the wormhole in any case and just be comming in from or going to almost anywhere else. At the very least, a bunch of those ships may have played with the actual direction they appear to have come out of hyperspace from to mask last port of call, same with heading out-system at one heading but changing once in hyperspace.

I’m not sure exactly what the point is in this section of your post.

To summarize, Mike came generally from the direction of Meyers, true, but as I suggested above, her actual hyper translation was made between the Mesa Terminus and the Mesa hyper-limit expressly to get between the planet and anything that might have tried to flee to the terminus. She then detached a flotilla of destroyers with orders to secure the space around the terminus. As I also said above, she couldn’t prevent anything already in close proximity to it from making transit before those destroyers arrived. Had she dropped a separate force out of hyper directly on the terminus, she might have been able to prevent that, but — frankly — it was, ah . . . extraordinarily unlikely. We've seen how difficult it is to cut a hyper translation that fine in the vicinity of a terminus, so the odds were very, very, very, very high that any force detached to the terminus would have arrived too far out to do anything except fire missiles at merchantships that refused to heave to and went ahead with their transits.

Because of that, seizing the terminus itself wasn’t very high on her list of immediate priorities. Ultimately, of course she needed control of it! But in the short term, that was a non-issue, and she had no reason to believe that the question of who might have had sensors (and what those sensors might/might not have been able to see) was going to be particularly important. At any rate, she had taken control of the terminus well before any bombs started going off anywhere on Mesa. In fact, she'd shut the terminus down completely by that time.

As an aside, while there was a fair amount of merchant traffic in the Mesa System when Tenth Fleet turned up, there wasn't as much as I think you are suggesting. The Manticore System sees a ton of traffic pretty much every day; Mesa, not so much, and remember the size of Honorverse freighters.

Let’s remember that the port of San Diego handles about 2,800,000 tons of cargo per year and is one of the US’s 30 top container ship ports. So, let’s be generous and assume that all 30 of them handle 2.8 million tons a year apiece, and you get 84,000,000 tons . . . which works out to about 16.8 moderate-sized Honorverse freighters. Some of them will be smaller than that, and an entire star system will have a lot more consumers (like about 15 times the total population of the United States). But even if an equivalent tonnage per capita is being shipped in and out for that large a population, the total of those moderate-sized freighters which would be required rises to only about 250 per year and a year is 365 days long. That works out to about 0.69 ships a day.

Because of this, Mesa probably sees no more than four or five really big merchies arriving or departing each day. Now, any one of those ships is likely to be in-system for several days (aside from the ones simply dropping off a few hundred thousand tons of cargo at the terminus for transshipment elsewhere). That means that in addition to those which are arriving/departing there are the ones which are unloading, or loading, or a combination of the above. So the total shipping in-system on any given day is probably two or three times that. Call it 15 hyper-capable ships in Mesan space at any given time, including the ones who are simply transshipping cargo at terminus warehouses or whatever. Hence my comment about the volume of shipping into and out of the system.

The point of this diversion is that there really aren’t as many potential hyper-capable sensor platforms as some people appear to be assuming, on the one hand, and there isn’t that huge a herd of antelopes for Tenth Fleet’s wolves to chase down, on the other. And since chasing down freighters came about 19th on Mike Henke’s top 10 list of Things to Do, and since her initial placement meant that anything inside the hyper-limit was highly unlikely to evade her, no matter how hard it tried, she didn’t waste a lot of time worrying about it. This means that most ships which were underway and close to the terminus or already across the hyper-limit got out before she shut the terminus down and that nothing that wasn’t already at the terminus or between it and the hyper-limit when she arrived got out. Not until she chose to let it out.

Brigade XO wrote:
3rd. While the GA brought a stupendous number of SD to bear on the Mesa system, I believe it also had a lot of lighter ships. It would make a great amount of sense if some of those would have been tasked to various places around the system hyper limit as stoppers for several scenarios. One would be to catch merchant shipping already comming into to the system (inside the hyper limit) or either try to run from orbit or are already heading out. How many of said merchants would have been Manpower or related controled plus ships beloinging to various Transtellars which at minimum might be carrying slaves. It also fits with the change in tactics of taking SL flagged shipping -which might have totaly ligitimate (non-slave) business there but are now just prizes. The other is to put combat ships closer to any number of MSN/MSDF ships than the primary GA force (of SDs) such that the GA lighter ships would be positions to "distract or dissuade" any MSDF ships from running (away to to the wormhole) or othewise interfearing with the hoped for surrender of the MSDF.
We have only seen a tiny bit of what happens so perhaps we will get to see a bagging of merchant ships such as Mike did at Meyers. Every little bit helps...big smile

Why is Tenth Fleet interested in catching all these ships? Oh, yeah, as you say, every little bit helps, but the only ones in which they would have a burning interest would be the slave transports, and there really aren’t a whole heck of a lot of those at any given time. Mike and Lester aren't here as part of a commerce raiding strategy; they’re here to conquer a star system. Capturing merchant traffic comes way lower in priority than that. Besides, at the risk of redundancy, they did capture all the merchant shipping which hadn't already cleared the hyper-limit.

Tenth Fleet had nowhere near the number of units that would have been necessary to establish some kind of perimeter security all the way around the hyper-limit (which is, remember, a sphere and not a circle). Nor was there any tactical reason it should have attempted to, so it didn’t try. Actually pouncing on the terminus would have been a neat flourish, but Mike wasn’t interested in neat flourishes. Especially flourishes that wouldn't have accomplished anything, since (as I've said) any merchie already in the queue would have had ample time to make transit before her ships could reach it, and anything which had already crossed the hyper-limit headed for the terminus but not yet reached it would have been impossible to intercept, even with Manticore’s acceleration advantage, before it hypered out.

Brigade XO wrote:
4th. I earlier suggested that the MSN/MSDF, while having stood down in the surrender to the GA, was unlikely to have shut down their passive sensors and would have been able to see any impeller signatures -or launch signatures- from the GA ships. That would include the Mesan System tactical sensor net and local Astro Control. The GA DID NOT damage or destroy ANYTHING in orbit or even in-system (that we know of yet). So, while it is probable that the Mandarins's tame press and other new services my carry the Alignment version of Manticore committing an EE violation on Mesa, there WILL be good sensor records (not made by the GA) to show it didn't happen.

What makes you think that if those sensor records exist anyone inclined to suspect Manticore won’t point out that by the time anyone but the Grand Alliance saw the data in them they’d already been in the Grand Alliance’s possession? Ergo, they cannot be trusted, since the people they purport to clear of wrongdoing have had ample opportunity to doctor them.

I’m not saying that such records do or don’t exist, although most of the MSN ships in the system had been completely stripped of their crews, as per Mike’s directions, and all of the merchant traffic still inside the hyper-limit had surrendered as well, well before the explosions began. In addition, a star system is big. Things that don’t want to be found are difficult to find at the best of times, and there are very large stretches of its volume that aren’t being particularly closely monitored at any given moment. Nobody spends a lot of time watching shipping patterns in the South Atlantic. They watch shipping movement in known shipping lanes and in the approaches to major ports. Weather satellites may be interested in what’s happening out there in hurricane alley, but they’re not the best platforms for monitoring ship movements. So the probability that one of those 15 or so merchantships (less, of course, any already in the transit queue or between the terminus and the limit, who'd already hypered out) was watching the critical volumes out-system from Mesa is not nearly as high as I think you have assumed.

What I’m saying is that even if sensor records do exist, they may or may not actually have a window on where the explosions occurred. Moreover, even if they exist, they prove nothing in the eyes of anyone not already strongly inclined to take Manticore and the Grand Alliance’s word for what happened. (After all, whether or not the records are believed will depend on whether or not the someone in question is inclined to take Manticore and the Grand Alliance's word that the records in question are genuine. If you don't trust them already, you won't be.) And, for reasons which will become apparent in the book, even if those records existed, and even if they were trusted, they wouldn’t make a whole lot of difference. And I have to point out that anyone who isn't a blatant partisan of the GA damned well should dismiss any sensor recording "proof" of their innocence.

Brigade XO wrote:
One of those things that will not ring true from the timing and placement of all those nuclear explosions is where they happened. Remote "weather stations", an remote-uninhabited -nature reserve out in some ocean, etc. Sure, the screaming and finger pointing and beating the drum of "murderous neo-barbarians" will go on, but some people are going to have to wonder why a bunch of experienced and apparently otherwise extremly precise people who are using sophistocated targeting systems and weapons would be shooting at such odd places- and doing a really good job of hitting ONLY those really odd places along with a lot of other targets that don't have any conceivable value even if the planet hadn't surrendered.
This is NOT FF acting on the orders of OFS or the local political despot punishing rebelling subjects.
But, then, when does logic and reason enter into a lot of political rhetoric and propaganda?

Of course there are going to be tons of questions about why explosions occurred where they occurred!

The problem is that arguing that “experienced and otherwise extremely precise people who are using sophisticated targeting systems and weapons” wouldn’t be shooting at such odd places doesn’t really solve anything. Somebody blew them up, and for your argument to do Tenth Fleet any good, there’d have to be a countervailing explanation for why anyone else would be interested in blowing up such odd places. Even if you accept the Grand Alliance’s contention that there is something called the “Mesan Alignment” out there, why is the Mesan Alignment killing millions of Mesans? What motive would it have? Coming up with an alternate reason for the explosions would be a nontrivial exercise . . . unless you expect to convince the galaxy at large that this "Alignment" is so malignant that it would cheerfully kill millions of citizens of the system in which it originated simply to cast suspicion on the Grand Alliance.

There is an alternate explanation, and Anton Zilwicki has already put a finger on it. Even his reasoning is still highly speculative at this point, however, and once they get into the actual situation on the ground it’s going to be even harder than anyone in the GA ever dreamed in their worst nightmares for them to convince the galaxy at large that he isn’t a raving lunatic.

I could tell you why that is, but then you wouldn’t have to buy the book! :twisted:

(edited to clear up a few glitches)
Post by isaac_newton   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:08 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:(6) So who had opportunity and motive and also happens to be in a position to control all access to the site, the situation, and any existing tactical data?

Neutral party's answer: "The Grand Alliance."

(7) Under the circumstances, do you honestly see a more likely answer than that they did it?

Neutral party's answer: "No . . . not really."

And that's if no one uncovers additional incriminating evidence!

IIRC, Mesa actually has a witness to Anton's little unlocking trick.

I had the feeling that he/they were terminated with extreme prejudice after brutal interrogation...
Post by GregD   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:57 pm

GregD
Commander

runsforcelery wrote:
GregD wrote:
1: If you can get Toni to release the eARC today, I'll buy it today.

You can't scold us for not buying it until we actually have a chance to do so. :D

Oh, I'm not scolding you for not having the book yet. I'm simply being a French man-at-arms in a Monty Python movie talking to the Englisk k-nigits! :lol:

I'd much rather be English, than French. ;)

runsforcelery wrote:
GregD wrote:2: If the GA "had no quarrel with neutral shipping" (which is what I expected), then I would expect there to still be a fair amount of it around.

3: (Can't check books at the moment) when Anton and Victor visited Mesa the first time, there seemed to be a lot more than 2 - 3 ships for Mesa traffic control to deal with. In system ships are still going to have scanners.

Those "lots more" were mostly right around the Terminus, where (as I pointed out) there are going to be ships transshipping cargo. And quite a few of those sublight ships you've mentioned would be servicing the terminus. Also, I do have to correct/clarify one of my earlier points. The "30 ships at any given time" number is for those which actually have business in Mesan space; it does not include any through traffic that doesn't have to clear customs. So the number actually at the terminus would be higher than my earlier post would imply (sorry I wasn't clearer) but still wouldn't affect my analysis, because every one of those ships would automatically be in position to go "heels and elbows" the instant 10th Fleet turned up. Which, of course, any merchant skipper who hadn't left anything behind on Mesa would do immediately!

Torch of Freedom, Chapter 45, 3rd paragraph:
Just routine. By now, two weeks later, Trimm had only a vague memory of having done an additional check on the Hali Sowle. That was in the records, of course. But she was no more likely to check old records for no reason—the volume of traffic in and out of Mesa was truly enormous—than she would be to start going to work with a hop, skip and a jump rather than taking the perfectly functional tube.

Seems like you're going to need to have another talk with Eric. ;-)

runsforcelery wrote:
GregD wrote:4: What I'd expect the GA to do is collect a bunch of trusted reporters (including our dear friend Audrey), and take them to visit those ships (recording everything of course). "Did you see any missile traces?" "No." "Can we have a copy of all your records?" "Yes, of course!"

Pull copies for GA & for press.

Oh, and I find myself reversing myself. Because I would expect the GA to have some treecats along to monitor the press gaggle. Which means some would get to check out Audrey, in the process of checking out everyone. :-)

The problem is three fold: (a) There aren't very many of those ships. (b) How are the newsies sure they aren't being coerced (weakest objection to your suggestion, I know). But (c) Have you been paying attention when I said it won't matter in the long run if such records exist? ;)

Oh, and they don't have a heck of a lot of available treecats at the moment. That's not an insurmountable problem to your proposition, but it would complicate the logistics a bit.

I'm assuming 1 ship, 1 - 2 treecats

As for "(c)", I'm withholding judgment. :-)

runsforcelery wrote:
GregD wrote:
5: Finally, I'm having a very difficult time wrapping my head around your logic.

"We have 0 evidence the GA did it. We have 0 motivation for the GA to do it. But we're going to blame them anyway, because reasons."

I'm sorry, but that just sounds pure lunatic to me. When it comes to dismissing "conspiracy nut", "the GA bombed these totally out of the way places because, um, I don't know why, but I'm sure they did it!" sounds a lot more nutty than "there's a conspiracy based on Mesa that had to get out of town ahead of the GA, and had to clean up their traces with nukes."

The latter at least has a chance at rationality

My logic is very simple.

(1) Why would anyone do it?

Neutral party's answer: "Damned if I know!"

(2) Who do we know who is implacably hostile to Mesa, has now invaded and conquered the star system, and who claims to believe that something called the Mesan Alignment wants to see both of them destroyed, maneuvered them back into a shooting war with one another that killed millions of their military personnel to achieve that purpose, and then butchered millions of Manticoran civilians in an Eridani Edict violation?

Neutral party's answer: "Oooh! I know, I know! The Grand Alliance! But that doesn't prove they did this!"

(3) No, but if that's what they honestly believe, and if all the military forces in the star system have surrendered to them, and if they're the only ones with ships in orbit around the planet, who else could've done it?

Neutral party's answer: "Uh. That's a tough one."

1: I thought the official story line is that the Oyster Bay attacks didn't violate EE? (I thought that was wrong, but that's what I remember reading)

2: Someone who was on the ground before the GA got there.

3: Oh, and if you're going to believe that the GA believes in the "Mesan Alignment", perhaps you might consider that they (the "Mesan Alignment") would have been "on the ground" before the GA got there.

runsforcelery wrote:(4) And which supposedly competent military force, currently on the ground, has yet to come up with any plausible explanation for how the guilty parties got past them? Or how the bombs were delivered in the first place.

Neutral party's answer: "Um . . . the Grand Alliance?"

But they have a perfectly reasonable explanation: the bombs were set in place before the GA got there. I mean, the concept of "in place demo charges" is clearly not foreign to this Universe

runsforcelery wrote:(6) So who had opportunity and motive and also happens to be in a position to control all access to the site, the situation, and any existing tactical data?

Neutral party's answer: "The Grand Alliance."

If they'd destroyed places that had obvious value, THEN you could assign a "revenge motive" to the GA and the bombings. But as I understand it the nature of the assembly points was they were out of the way places that people didn't go to. So unless you're willing to posit that this "Mesan Alignment" exists, was assembling there, and the GA decided to murder them all, there's no point for the GA to bomb them.

If the GA had murdered the Mesa Navy ship crews rather than let them bail out, then you could believe they'd do something as psychotic as randomly bomb mostly uninhabited parts of the Mesan System "just to get their mad out."

I'm waiting to see what you have up your sleeve. ("He falsified Manty Diplomatic communications going to Pritchard" made no sense. "We had the Many Diplomatic key, so he could falsify Manty Diplomatic communications going to Pritchard" did make sense.)

But the idea that the GA would put in the effort necessary to conduct "simultaneous" demolition of totally worthless targets, for no offered reason, just makes no sense to me.

Oh, and if it were the GA, they've have communicated to the bombings off Mesa at 60x light speed, but I'm guessing the explosion delays were at light speed, radiating from the planet. :-)
Post by n7axw   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:55 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

While Anton was not reponsible for MacBride's decision to execute scorched earth in the Gamma Center, he does share responsibility for the other two nukes. He wouldn't have willingly allowed that nuke to be set off in a playground of children. That seccy who did that wasn't very tightly wrapped. But that doesn't absolve Anton of responsibility even if he lost control of what happened.

On that chain of explosions that happened after Mike and Lester's fleet arrived, I wonder... is there any way an examination of the blast sights could determine whether or not the bombs were emplaced rather than the result of missile strikes? Dunno... a nuke doesn't leave behind much to examine, but still... :?

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by kzt   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:36 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:On that chain of explosions that happened after Mike and Lester's fleet arrived, I wonder... is there any way an examination of the blast sights could determine whether or not the bombs were emplaced rather than the result of missile strikes? Dunno... a nuke doesn't leave behind much to examine, but still... :?

More than most people think. The base of the tower that held the test nuke at white sands remained.
Post by n7axw   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:51 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
n7axw wrote:On that chain of explosions that happened after Mike and Lester's fleet arrived, I wonder... is there any way an examination of the blast sights could determine whether or not the bombs were emplaced rather than the result of missile strikes? Dunno... a nuke doesn't leave behind much to examine, but still... :?

More than most people think. The base of the tower that held the test nuke at white sands remained.

Interesting observation... Thanks!

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by pappilon   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:03 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:I don't see how having a witness say "yeah we stole the nukes and He (pointing accusingly to the Mountain Troll)" JUDGE: "Please note in the record that the witness is pointing to Mr. Zilwicki. Please continue"

runsforcelery wrote:I believe there was a certain irony in the maybe cat's final paragraph.

Sorry if I missed that, and apologies. Not always good at picking up irony and/or sarcasm.

runsforcelery wrote:Yeah, that testimony could pose an itty-bitty problem for Anton and the GA if it comes out, couldn't it? :roll: Golly, gee, I wonder if it'll happen? :)

I'll never know until (A) you post it as your next snippet or (B) I read it in the next/final Honor book.

runsforcelery wrote:On the other hand, I believe "coerced" would be a mighty pale word to described the circumstances under which the witness in question was interrogated. Might serve to undermine the testimony's credibility just a tad.

I'm assuming that is more irony? Since I mentioned vigorous interrogation. Which should have been enhanced interrogation (my aphasia grows dismayingly worse). Since when is Colin/Benjamin whichever concerned about the niceties of the rules of evidence? Besides Im sure a bit of quickheal and a few hours of sleep would make a presentable video confession. Heck, forget that, even the Peeps cold fake a good confession

runsforcelery wrote:And I'm sure Anton would promise to never, ever do it again.

Not quite so sure about Black Victor, of course . . . .

ROFLMAO. Not even Thandi is so sure about Black Victor.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by pappilon   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:14 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Finally caught that errant "but ... wait" thats been buzzing around my brain:
With all those merchant ships swanning around Mesa's space, surly someone would have caught those missile traces or lack thereof.

So using those magnificently tuned sensor suites that parsimonious owners refuse to mount on the bridge, those ones? The ones defined as "On a clear day it will identify a moon before we crash into it," those suites? Or the ones not muck worse than the ones on dispatch and courrier boats?
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Return to Honorverse