Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kzt and 45 guests

Travis Long & his lack of recognition

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Travis Long & his lack of recognition
Post by wrlee1966   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:24 pm

wrlee1966
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

There are a couple of things I want to point out. First Travis is much younger then his Brother. Next Travis doesn't follow politics and is very unaware of his Brothers position and how he is working to kill the Navy. As for not being given any awards. In both books I have felt this is because of his relationship to his Brother. They sent him to OCS to make him an officer in part as a reward since he did not get an award and they were all ordered to no give him credit for what he did. This is specifically true in book 2. As for why the Countess wants to know all she can about him is only a theory. But he was been in two major incidents where his thinking outside the box saved the day. She could be an agent for the Company behind trying to take over Manticore. She could see him as a threat to the Kingdom because of his Brother. But What I really think is this. She wants to know more about him because she see him as a weapon to use either against Breakwater or against the people who are trying to invade the Kingdom. It will be interesting to see where RFC takes it.
Post by martin   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:16 pm

martin
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

There is something of vastly greater strategic importance than the injustice to TUL, his lack of recognition, the standing of Locatelli or even the military victories, in which Travis is a key figure - namely the discovery of the Manticore wormhole junction

Perhaps TUL will play a key role in that.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:31 pm

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

wrlee1966 wrote:[snip] But What I really think is this. She wants to know more about him because she see him as a weapon to use either against Breakwater or against the people who are trying to invade the Kingdom. It will be interesting to see where RFC takes it.

Opening chapters of ACTD, The countess sends Travis' brother to sit in on a meeting for her, which Breakwater takes as a personal recommendation of him. Doesn't sound like the actions of a frenemy. And she is spying on RMN personnel (assumedly) trying to catch them manipulating data to support their grand threat theory.

But in the face of a real attack, who knows. Maybe she is reconsidering her position vis-à-vis the RMN. :?
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by saber964   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:51 pm

saber964
Admiral

martin wrote:There is something of vastly greater strategic importance than the injustice to TUL, his lack of recognition, the standing of Locatelli or even the military victories, in which Travis is a key figure - namely the discovery of the Manticore wormhole junction

Perhaps TUL will play a key role in that.

He might be a bit to old. IIRC TUL is 18-19 T-years old in ACD which starts in 1529 PD. And the MWJ first transit was in 1585 PD so he would be 74-75 T-years old. He would likely be at or close to retirement age by that time.
Post by wrlee1966   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:32 pm

wrlee1966

WeirdlyWired wrote:
wrlee1966 wrote:[snip] But What I really think is this. She wants to know more about him because she see him as a weapon to use either against Breakwater or against the people who are trying to invade the Kingdom. It will be interesting to see where RFC takes it.

Opening chapters of ACTD, The countess sends Travis' brother to sit in on a meeting for her, which Breakwater takes as a personal recommendation of him. Doesn't sound like the actions of a frenemy. And she is spying on RMN personnel (assumedly) trying to catch them manipulating data to support their grand threat theory.

But in the face of a real attack, who knows. Maybe she is reconsidering her position vis-à-vis the RMN. :?

There is nothing in ACTD that explains why the Countess asked him to fill in for her. they maybe friends. There is nothing to show That she is involved with Breakwater at all. And it looks like the Brother is just ambitious and when he was recruited he never cared one way or the other only about his own career. And the worm hole junction was theorized in 1391 PD so TrVIS COULD BE THE KEY PLAYER IN FIGURING OUT THAT IT IS THERE BUT TO FIND IT TAKES TIME
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:49 pm

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

wrlee1966 wrote:... There is nothing in ACTD that explains why the Countess asked him to fill in for her. they maybe friends. There is nothing to show That she is involved with Breakwater at all. And it looks like the Brother is just ambitious and when he was recruited he never cared one way or the other only about his own career. And the worm hole junction was theorized in 1391 PD so TrVIS COULD BE THE KEY PLAYER IN FIGURING OUT THAT IT IS THERE BUT TO FIND IT TAKES TIME

Noting explicit. personal note, I'm older than RFC. Went to university in New Orleans. Dated the step daughter of a [verrry] low level mafia dude. So when phrases like "he's a friend of ours", "he's a friend of mine" pop up my first thought is what's the sub-rosa connection.

For Highwater to mention the duchess as a friend of mine, to me, implies, we're connected to each other, but NOT to you. I can't be blamed for what I bring to the book.

I have no emotional interest in being right, but I've got a LOOOOG time to speculate...
Post by Fox2!   » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:32 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

In Goodfellows, as one of the character (Joe Pesci?) is on the way to being "Made", his sponsor is telling the difference between "a friend of mine" (some bozo off the block who makes money for me, but isn't one of us) and "a friend of ours" (another Made man).

The next scene is the source of the excellent advice, "Don't join the party if there's a tarp on the floor."

quote="WeirdlyWired"]
wrlee1966 wrote:... There is nothing in ACTD that explains why the Countess asked him to fill in for her. they maybe friends. There is nothing to show That she is involved with Breakwater at all. And it looks like the Brother is just ambitious and when he was recruited he never cared one way or the other only about his own career. And the worm hole junction was theorized in 1391 PD so TrVIS COULD BE THE KEY PLAYER IN FIGURING OUT THAT IT IS THERE BUT TO FIND IT TAKES TIME

Noting explicit. personal note, I'm older than RFC. Went to university in New Orleans. Dated the step daughter of a [verrry] low level mafia dude. So when phrases like "he's a friend of ours", "he's a friend of mine" pop up my first thought is what's the sub-rosa connection.

For Highwater to mention the duchess as a friend of mine, to me, implies, we're connected to each other, but NOT to you. I can't be blamed for what I bring to the book.

I have no emotional interest in being right, but I've got a LOOOOG time to speculate...[/quote]
Post by d-eye   » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:23 am

d-eye

filbert wrote:2) It explains why nobody knows about Travis in Honor's time (duh).

slight snerk.
That has been rectified in SoV in a certain characters ancestry and relative's middle name
Post by Garth 2   » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:06 am

Garth 2
Captain of the List

Personnel I think he has been recognised by those that matter i.e. the Navy.

I think Travis is going to end up working for ONI (or what will become ONI) and be Manticore' "James Bond", probably resulting in setting up either the Covert Insertion Teams (Lets go to Prague) or Tech Teams (With One Stone), or "doing a Travis" an in joke/acknowledgement of doing something great within ONI but leaves those in the "Really Navy" looking on oddly.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:44 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

d-eye wrote:
filbert wrote:2) It explains why nobody knows about Travis in Honor's time (duh).

slight snerk.
That has been rectified in SoV in a certain characters ancestry and relative's middle name

IIRC, David Weber said (in a podcast) that Travis Long was as important to the development of the RMN as Edward Saganami, but nobody has heard of him. I interpreted that as meaning nobody remembers what he did to be so important. Perhaps nobody realized at the time what he had started.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)

Return to Honorverse