Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kzt and 46 guests

Most heart wrenching death

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Most heart wrenching death
Post by Hutch   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:53 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

saber964 wrote:Another probable on the Do Not Kill list is Nimitz.

Well, only if he doesn't kill Honor off (remember, that was the original plan; and the MWW can be stubborn at times...)
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Somtaaw   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:59 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

munroburton wrote:Andrew LaFollet's death was the first one to bring tears out of my eyes. It just hit me that he'd been with Honor for so long and that right to the end, he had done his duty unswervingly.

And that Raoul would grow up never knowing who he was.

Andrew LaFollet's death struck me as a little heart wrenching, especially when the timing of the pod capsules being fired off was bare heartbeats. Raoul was safe, the nurse was a little banged around, and Andrew was just plain dead?

But aside from that, when I was still interested in the Wheel of Time series by R.Jordan, and belonged to a text RPG site of fellow fans... my primary character was basically an Andrew LaFollet, and I had based him off myself. And I'd created him back in the early 2000s, before I'd ever started reading Honorverse, so I always felt a strong affinity for Andrew because we'd both shared that undying devotion and loyalty to our sworn ladies, right down to love being one of the reasons.

Seeing that he'd died, when the nurse/maid he'd shot out of the aircar only heartbeats before made it out without a scratch, twisted the dagger.

And like the OP, the only other Weber death that truly stung me, was Rastar.
Post by 19chickens   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:41 pm

19chickens
Ensign

The only one that actually made me put a book down and think was Ragnhild Pavletic's death.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:16 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Gwlymm Manthyr- Charisian Admiral Sagehold dies in enemy hands after extensive Medieval era style torture
Bryhan Lock Island- Safehold Charis' High Admiral dies in battle.

Regnald Pavletic- Honorverse
Alistair McKeon- Honorverse

Janaki chan Calirath, Ternethian Crown Prince. Multiverse dies in battle after seeing his own death in a glimpse

Kostas- Prince Roger's valet in Empire of Man to wildlife on Marduk
Ima Hooker- Bronze barbarian (Roger's bodyguard regiment) in Empire of Man to wildlife on Marduk

Tamman- Duhak. Commander of battle asteroid dies in battle against Achtultanni

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Spitfire80   » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:10 am

Spitfire80
Ensign

While i readily agree that losing Andrew and Miranda and Farragut was heart wrenching, i too had to take a moment there, I and this is going to sound bad, found it a little suspicious...So to speak anyway.

Honor's entire, extended but not well known (to the reader) family is killed off, for dramatic purposes. Of those close to her (and the reader), however she only loses the ones without Prolong. Miranda is musing about her aging only days/ hours before.

To me once i thought on it, it felt like the Bossman, wanted to save them the rigors of old age.

Still heart wrenching though, as was Black Rock clan, and then the intro of Sorrow Singer, now that was heart wrenching.
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:06 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:I'm surprised RoseandHeather hasn't piped up with Javier Giscard yet.

Rose has spent the last week beating her browser into submission so she can actually log the hell in. :mrgreen:

But yes. Javier. Ever and always Javier.

I wept for Andrew and Andreas and Jamie and Carolyn and Ragnhild and Black Rock Clan and Miranda and Dominica Santos and Courvoisier and Bernard Yanakov and Chatterjee's destroyers and all the others, but...

Javier. Ever and always Javier.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by saber964   » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:18 pm

saber964
Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:I'm surprised RoseandHeather hasn't piped up with Javier Giscard yet.

Rose has spent the last week beating her browser into submission so she can actually log the hell in. :mrgreen:

I wept for Andrew and Andreas and Jamie and Carolyn and Ragnhild and Black Rock Clan and Miranda and Dominica Santos and Courvoisier and Bernard Yanakov and Chatterjee's destroyers and all the others, but...

I know the feeling, my browser went boink and erased most of my passwords. Luckily I only use a few of them for non-criticle site's.
Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:10 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:

I almost posted that you were probably succumbing to the exigencies of study. Close enough. :lol:

Welcome back rose. We missed ya sumpin' fierce. The forums was beginning to reek of smelly old socks, no girlie parfum.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by boballab   » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:57 pm

boballab
Captain of the List

For me the death of Pavlectic was a gut churner because we have seen that basic scene of a boarding party going over to a ship since On Basilisk Station and nothing has ever happened then...

The deaths of Andrew and Miranda as they came as a one two punch hit below the belt, however the number one gut wrenching death was Ahmand Pahner, that death effected Roger even more than Kostas death did. It turned him from a competent soldier/leader to one cold blooded bastard that wasn't about to let anything waste the death of his psuedo father in getting him home.

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:56 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

19chickens wrote:The only one that actually made me put a book down and think was Ragnhild Pavletic's death.

It wasn't the actual death that got to me, it was afterwards when Helen was sorting Ragnhild's locker and she broke down and wept on Paulo's shoulder.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah

Return to Honorverse