Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

Prolong How Tall?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Prolong How Tall?
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:38 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

Cyn wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:If one is 3-4 times as old and one starts Prolong at an age when one is still growing. How tall would one be? If we start prolong at 14 and grow till be are 19 then multiply the growing years from 14 to 19 by 3 or 4 would one grow to 8, 9, 12 feet tall?

I remember hearing something (can't remember where) that if people did grow this tall, and assuming that their rest of their dimensions grew accordingly, their internal body heat would get high enough to cook their insides, and if their other dimensions didn't grow accordingly I shudder to think of the implications on body mechanics, imagine trying to lift your arm if it was twice as long and your muscles were the same size, that would be a very quick lesson in leverage. Elephants and whales can be that large because of wrinkly skin increasing their surface area and frequent showers (for an elephant) and being submerged in usually freezing water (for whales). So if surviving prolong and have youth for centuries meant either looking very old of constantly living in ice water I'm not sure anyone would go for it.

An elephant's ears are their heat radiators. Whales have very good insulation; that cold water is way too much of a good thing as far as getting rid of excess heat.

The problem with size is that walking, for a biped, is controlled falling, and that means that the length of the legs needs to be commensurate with the gravity field so it can use a pendulum effect to save energy. The higher your center of gravity, the faster you're going to need to react.

There's no way of armwaving that aspect of biomechanics away. Same with heat dissipation. Thandi Palaine probably needs to carry an air chiller.
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:39 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:
kzt wrote:Both of you need to stop engaging him on this sort of idiocy. Just put him on ignore.

There are no stupid questions, except those not asked - just stupid answers! :x

"Lord" Skimper is generally regarded as a troll. Don't feed the trolls.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:42 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:
Draken wrote:Human body without tinkering with DNA shouldn't be able to (be) more than 7 (feet high).

Never actually proven & there have been a few people recorded at over 7’. A bumble bee can’t fly – it’s aerodynamically impossible – but nobody’s bothered to tell them that.

This is one of the more irritating urban myths. What was shown that the bumblebee can't fly if you use the formulas for fixed wing aircraft - but then neither can a helicopter. If you apply the formulae for rotary wing aircraft to the bumblebee, it appears that it can fly quite well thank you very much.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Hutch   » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:56 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:This is one of the more irritating urban myths. What was shown that the bumblebee can't fly if you use the formulas for fixed wing aircraft - but then neither can a helicopter. If you apply the formulae for rotary wing aircraft to the bumblebee, it appears that it can fly quite well thank you very much.

But everybody knows a Helicopter can't fly.

It beats the air into submission.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by SWM   » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:03 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:
fallsfromtrees wrote:This is one of the more irritating urban myths. What was shown that the bumblebee can't fly if you use the formulas for fixed wing aircraft - but then neither can a helicopter. If you apply the formulae for rotary wing aircraft to the bumblebee, it appears that it can fly quite well thank you very much.

So those silent black helicopters I keep seeing are just figments of my imagination? ;)
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:50 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Unnesting quotes
Hutch wrote:

SWM wrote:So those silent black helicopters I keep seeing are just figments of my imagination? ;)
Nope, but they aren't actually flying. The earth is simply repelling their ugliness. ;)
Post by MAD-4A   » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:05 am

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

exactly - as you say
fallsfromtrees wrote:"...was shown that the bumblebee can't fly if you use the formulas for fixed wing aircraft..."
never said they used the right formula - and that's my point!
Last edited by MAD-4A on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by MAD-4A   » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:05 am

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:So those silent black helicopters I keep seeing are just figments of my imagination? ;)
sorry - nope
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:35 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Draken wrote:There is a limit of hight. Human body without tinkering with DNA shouldn't be able to have more than 7 feels of heigh. Also if we would be higher our bones will be bigger and Weber said that people's from high gee world's were shorter but much more wider, cus gravity on they world made big high useless

Rob the Fiend wrote:Shorter? Three of the more prominent heavy worlders, (the two Ramirez(San Martino) and Thandy (N'debele)), are all 190+ cm tall.

saber964 wrote:They are also discribed as massive IIRC Thandi weght is 100Kg or 220lbs. and Thomas is said to be 200+ kilos or 440+lbs.

Thandi at 100KG isn't very massive. I know a Bikini Fitness Model who is 135 lbs when in performance fit and she is 5'4" tall. Scaled up to Thandi height she would weight 213 LBS. 1 G very fit but normal girl, on the slender side. https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... e=55204C33

If Thandi was from a 1.5+ G world she would be massively heavy, or very short.

Return to Honorverse