Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests

Honorcon 2014--The report thread

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorcon 2014--The report thread
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:31 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

kzt wrote:
roseandheather wrote:If anyone else was at the panel, I'd love some more concrete details on Grayson and the Church.

He explained that the church of humanity unchained is essentially Methodists with a different focus on what is important. Which he explained at great detail, but the Weslyian Quadrilateral meant nothing to me. You can look it up on Wikipedia too, which is what I had to do. I think he used the test as the interaction of reason and experiance, but my understanding of the finer points of Protestant theology is pretty much nonexistent.

Fortunately, mine isn't. :mrgreen:

And that actually makes a great deal of sense - thanks, that's definitely the info I was looking for.

(Also, holy crap, I really am a Grayson - I was baptised Methodist, though raised primarily Episcopalian. No wonder I'm such a fan....)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by kzt   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:11 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:Fortunately, mine isn't. :mrgreen:

And that actually makes a great deal of sense - thanks, that's definitely the info I was looking for.

(Also, holy crap, I really am a Grayson - I was baptised Methodist, though raised primarily Episcopalian. No wonder I'm such a fan....)

Glad I could help.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:Fortunately, mine isn't. :mrgreen:

That's a funny coincidence. David shared that he was raised (and therefore I assume baptized) Episcopalian before coming back to the church as a Methodist.
Post by BobG   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:16 pm

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

Jonathan_S wrote:
Evergreen brought up the possibility of a tv series instead of the honor of the queen movie they've been working on. (Edit: clarification no final decision for tv vs movie)

Asked for a show of hands for who'd like a tv series. Lots up of hands for this. David then made the point that if the tv series takes off it takes care of the heNy lifting for a potential later movie.

RFC specifically said he wants it clear that if they go that way he's totally onboard with it - lots of advantages for tv; largely due to the extra time it gives. "You don't have to go for first seeing Nimitz to him ripping off someone's face in 20 minutes.

With a TV show, maybe they could do all of THotQ, rather than squeezing it into 90 minutes.

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by Guspaz   » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:14 am

Guspaz
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Wish I could be there! I had a great time last year, but sadly I procrastinated on getting my passport renewed, and by the time I realized it, there was no way I was going to get a valid passport in time for the trip down south to Honorcon.

I'll have to be satisfied with these convention reports, which aren't quite the same as being there, but are greatly appreciated nonetheless :)

On the subject of the film, I remain hopeful but skeptical. So many books get optioned and a movie/series never gets made, and Evergreen's first (and so far only) film was a bomb, both financially and critically.
Post by kzt   » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:30 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

While supposedly talking about building Honorverse navies we got where I could ask about honorverse intermodal transport.

the answer was yes, they exist. They are a lot like a modern containers but bigger, Tom said to replace feet with meters. They are vacuum tight with brackets designed to mount into a CG hauler.(like the old sky-crane). The hauler is able to deliver a container anywhere on the planet, though they usually deliver to distribution centers at big cities. They can be kicked out into orbit and then get fetched and delivered to a wheat field if appropriate...

They also have shuttles used for hauling sub container shipments or containers.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:While supposedly talking about building Honorverse navies we got where I could ask about honorverse intermodal transport.

the answer was yes, they exist. They are a lot like a modern containers but bigger, Tom said to replace feet with meters. They are vacuum tight with brackets designed to mount into a CG hauler.(like the old sky-crane). The hauler is able to deliver a container anywhere on the planet, though they usually deliver to distribution centers at big cities. They can be kicked out into orbit and then get fetched and delivered to a wheat field if appropriate...

They also have shuttles used for hauling sub container shipments or containers.

Although one of the side comments in the "Working with David Webster [sic]" panel made me think this may still be a little unsettled within BuNine.

They mentioned a question about a container (or was the word they used "box") that the currently in the Army guy (damn I'm bad with names) asked that triggered a multi month (and still not fully resolved) discussion that ended up on the economics of the Solarian League. I'm assuming that would be about shipping…
Post by kzt   » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:46 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Honorverse economics are kind of a mess. It's not something that David had a really deep enough understanding about to put together a compelling approach, and how much research is it reasonable to expect him to do as deep background? Which is why you have something like 300 million people doing asteroid mining and something less than 2 million people doing every bit of manufacturing in the Manticore system.

So yeah, if you look at it and try to figure out how this makes any sense it will take a lot of talking....
Post by Frankjg   » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:02 pm

Frankjg
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

So what new Honorverse products are coming out or in development? Status of the honor movie? Anything else that was disclosed by over MWW and associates about this universe and his other universe?

For all of us that were unable to attend for various reasons this here.

Thanks
Post by kzt   » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:10 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Frankjg wrote:So what new Honorverse products are coming out or in development? Status of the honor movie? Anything else that was disclosed by over MWW and associates about this universe and his other universe?

For all of us that were unable to attend for various reasons this here.

Thanks

I didn't make the session to talk about honorverse products, it was positioned terribly in the schedule. There was also a set of business meetings that were scheduled in the afternoon post-con, I have no idea what was decided there.

Movie has made progress, there is now a screenplay. Saw a decent animation of Nimitz. However there is now discussion about doing it as TV series instead due to difficulties of doing justice to tHoQ in 120 double spaced pages.

Return to Honorverse