Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 34 guests

Manticoran Armament

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Manticoran Armament
Post by MaxxQ   » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:42 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Weird Harold wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:All flat-pack pods, regardless of what missiles they are carrying, have the same external dimensions and capabilities. Current pods are all the same numerical designation (Mk17), but the mod suffix refers to the loadout - 14 Mk16s (Mod2c), 10 Mk23s (no mod number - initial version), 8 Mk23s + ACM (Mod4a), etc.

Thanks.

That's basically what I was looking for. I take it that the current Mk 17 series can only launch fusion powered missiles and some other Mk or series handles the capacitor powered missiles? (Like the HMAMC Wayfarer's Mk-10 pods)

That question I have no information on. Sorry.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:13 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:RMN laser heads can also be used in burner or sidewall penetrating mode. It's kind of rare these days to do so, but it is apparently easy add the capability.

Well, it was a bit of a trick to first develop (that's why the CL Fearless had single-mode warheads in OBS - she was too old to carry the modern missiles with their multi-mode burn/boom/laser heads)

I believe some of that tech evolution is explained in the armor article in the anthology In Fire Forged.

But it seems that once developed it was sufficiently low cost (monetarily, build time, or missile trade-offs) to be worth routinely including the capability - even though most missiles fired in combat would be laser heads (or in laser-head mode).

Though I guess a much higher fraction of missiles used during routine patrolling would be nukes used to emphasize order to heave to for boarding.
Post by Grashtel   » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:34 pm

Grashtel
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:That's basically what I was looking for. I take it that the current Mk 17 series can only launch fusion powered missiles and some other Mk or series handles the capacitor powered missiles? (Like the HMAMC Wayfarer's Mk-10 pods)

Given that the fusion powered missiles are smaller than the capacitor ones and need a different initiation system I would say that is virtually certain that they can't be used in the same pods as the capacitor ones. I also suspect that pod launchers lack the flexibility of shipboard ones, they are basically expendable munitions so anything that can be done to reduce their mass and cost without impacting their primary role is worthwhile
Post by kzt   » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:50 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Grashtel wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:That's basically what I was looking for. I take it that the current Mk 17 series can only launch fusion powered missiles and some other Mk or series handles the capacitor powered missiles? (Like the HMAMC Wayfarer's Mk-10 pods)

Given that the fusion powered missiles are smaller than the capacitor ones and need a different initiation system I would say that is virtually certain that they can't be used in the same pods as the capacitor ones. I also suspect that pod launchers lack the flexibility of shipboard ones, they are basically expendable munitions so anything that can be done to reduce their mass and cost without impacting their primary role is worthwhile

I suspect you COULD fit SDM missiles in the flatpacks, but it would require an engineering effort to modify the pods at the factory. And why would you want to?
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:24 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Grashtel wrote:Given that the fusion powered missiles are smaller than the capacitor ones and need a different initiation system I would say that is virtually certain that they can't be used in the same pods as the capacitor ones.

I'm reasonably certain that pods for Capacitor-powered missiles can't launch Fusion-powered missiles. I'm less certain that the reverse is true.

Capacitor-powered missiles are larger than comparable Fusion-powered missiles, but that doesn't mean that a cruiser-weight capacitor missile wouldn't be size-comparable to a Capital-weight fusion-missile like the Mk-23. It would be trivial to add the ability to charge and launch capacitor-missiles from a flat-pack fusion-powered pod. It would also reduce the numbers of different types of pods needed while expanding the options for re-arming pod-naughts. (Even to providing the ability to load ERMs or SDMs if that is all that is available.)
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:59 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:I suspect you COULD fit SDM missiles in the flatpacks, but it would require an engineering effort to modify the pods at the factory. And why would you want to?
I suspect that engineering effort would be tantamount to designing a new mark of flatpack pod for SDM. (So less of a field mod and more of a new design with the same exterior dimensions and reasonable reuse of components)

And yes, there's no reason to bother.
(Now if MDMs hadn't been developed an SDM equipped SD(P) would still be a terrifyingly effective weapon against conventional SDs designed for pre-pod levels of missile threat)
Post by Vince   » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:02 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Grashtel wrote:Given that the fusion powered missiles are smaller than the capacitor ones and need a different initiation system I would say that is virtually certain that they can't be used in the same pods as the capacitor ones.

I'm reasonably certain that pods for Capacitor-powered missiles can't launch Fusion-powered missiles. I'm less certain that the reverse is true.

Capacitor-powered missiles are larger than comparable Fusion-powered missiles, but that doesn't mean that a cruiser-weight capacitor missile wouldn't be size-comparable to a Capital-weight fusion-missile like the Mk-23. It would be trivial to add the ability to charge and launch capacitor-missiles from a flat-pack fusion-powered pod. It would also reduce the numbers of different types of pods needed while expanding the options for re-arming pod-naughts. (Even to providing the ability to load ERMs or SDMs if that is all that is available.)

While in theory you could with some modifications take a fusion powered pod and launch capacitor-missiles out of it, in practice it is probably a non-starter. If you have the capability for fusion powered missiles, why would you handicap yourself by firing less capable missiles?
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:24 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Amaroq wrote:
Armed Neo-Bob wrote:
Someday I will have to get the Jayne's References. I have seen the Mk50 mentioned as the Courageous/Noblesse class' missile launcher; it was built 50 years before the first laserheads. The laserhead in OBS that broke McBride's hip was 70 tons, and the mass of the contact nukes was never given.

there are no references to the Mk34 or the Mk38 in the text of the books. Are they somewhere else?

There is also no indication in the text of the books that the laserheads used by Fearless at OBS were the same as any others-- during the Fleet exercise, the laserheads used were 75 tons--smaller than the Mk 13, larger than Fearless'.( Also, likely subject to later revision).

The only nomenclature I know of that was used for pre-war missiles aside from the the Mk-13 was the initial capital-ship laserhead (Mk-19) and its longer-ranged successor the Mk27C (from Wayfarer's pods). The later missile was 120 tons, but I don't think the range was ever given in text. There isn't any data on either size or range for the Mk 19, except that its power and range would both be unpleasant surprises for the People's Navy (as of 1883, in HoS)-, because the PN was using the off-the-shelf missiles exported from the League.

Aside from the Mk50 launchers, we are told the launchers in the Star Knights are Mod 7s, and when HH got an introduction to the Courvosier class, they had the RMN's Mod 19 launchers. No data on missiles, ranges, etc. The launchers on the Saganami B was only given as "second generation;" while the Saganami-C and Roland used variants of a Mod 9. So were the Bravo's using Mod 8? Who knows isn't saying.

The Mk-34 and 38 are in the Jayne's guide and listed as the shipkillers for those specific classes of ship that I mentioned above. I combed through OBS but it didn't mention what type of missiles they were. The Jayne's guide said that Courageous-class CLs had the Mk 50 unlike most of the other cruisers currently in use so I put Fearless there.

I've got the SITs books and Jayne's books. Remember, these books are dated 1904/1905 and predate modern Grayson designs (let alone Manticorian/Havenite 1st war designs). Don't forget, alot of the data here was changed later to be more consistant with the books so when possible always 2nd source with textev and YMMV.

Looking through SITS 3 (8 Manty ship designs, 7 Havenite designs):

The Mk 34 was a DD/CL missile and used the Mod 6 family of launcher (the Culverin had the 6c, the Illustrius had the 6a

The Mk 13 was used on all the CAs and BCs and used the Mod 7 launcher (the modern Flight IV Redoubtable and Homer BCs used the mod 7 launcher, Broadswords used the 7a)

Capitol ships used the Mk 19 missile, with the mod 8 series launcher (King Williams used the Mod 8 and the newer Majestics used the Mod 8a)

All ships mentioned above used the Mk 21 CM in 1904 and used the Mod 5 thru Mod 5c countermissile launcher, depending on age of the unit.

so the Manty launchers were originaly easy
Mod 5 - CM launcher family
Mod 6 - DD/CL SKM Launcher family
Mod 7 - CA/BC SKM Launcher family
Mod 8 - Capital SKM Launcher Family

with a letter designation indicating a version upgrade on launchers.

Havenite use seems similiar with:

LMC-8 - CM Launcher family
C2 countermissile
LME-3 - DD/CL SKM Launcher Family
E14 DD/CL SKM
LMF-5 - CA/BC SKM Launcher Family
F17 CA/BC SKM
LM-8 - DN/SD SKM Launcher Family
L13(a) DN/SD SKM

with a letter designation indicating a version upgrade on launchers.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:47 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:While in theory you could with some modifications take a fusion powered pod and launch capacitor-missiles out of it, in practice it is probably a non-starter. If you have the capability for fusion powered missiles, why would you handicap yourself by firing less capable missiles?

If you've fired all your fusion-missiles and there is a cache of capacitor missiles handy, the ability to re-arm with capacitor missiles might be a lifesaver.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Dafmeister   » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:16 pm

Dafmeister
Commodore

I believe the capacitor-powered missiles were bigger than their fusion successors, so they may not fit into the same launchers.

Return to Honorverse