Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 54 guests

What do you name them?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What do you name them?
Post by MuonNeutrino   » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:16 pm

MuonNeutrino
Commander

I would name them SS Voyager and SS Pioneer for the freighters, and SS Starlight for the Q-ship.

If I owned starships, they'd be named to reflect what I feel about space travel and exploration, which is a topic that is very important to me.

Voyager and Pioneer are named after the first two (sets of) space probes to be launched on trajectories out of our solar system. New Horizons has since joined them, but for me those two names will forever signify the human drive to explore. If I could hitch a ride on a true interstellar starship, I'd do so in a heartbeat, and I wouldn't be coming back until I'd seen absolutely everything there is to be seen.

The reasoning behind Starlight is a bit more personal. It refers to the sense of transcendent awe and wonder I feel when I'm outside, alone, at night, under the stars, contemplating the dizzying complexity and majestic beauty and endless wonders of this amazing universe we live in. It's almost a religious experience, and that sense of awe is really where the hunger for exploration and understanding comes from. The touch of Starlight is the universe to me.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:20 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Hollyhock, Lupine and Snapdragon. And start collecting pirates ships as prizes of war along with the profits from trading ventures. Ok, I'm an optomist, bit there should be someplace this can be made to work. Need extra crew to handle prizes. :)
Post by Brigade XO   » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:30 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

You forgot to mention the full military tactical and sensor package, the internal magaiznes for at leat 8 CM batteries, relativly recent Manticore military grade light speed CM defense and at least 8 cruiser grade anti-ship missle tubes for each suitablely camouflaged one each ship with good sized internal magazines. A grazer or two along with a pair of missle tubes (with good magazine depth at each end for chaser mounts would certainly help.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:43 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:You forgot to mention the full military tactical and sensor package, the internal magaiznes for at leat 8 CM batteries, relativly recent Manticore military grade light speed CM defense and at least 8 cruiser grade anti-ship missle tubes for each suitablely camouflaged one each ship with good sized internal magazines. A grazer or two along with a pair of missle tubes (with good magazine depth at each end for chaser mounts would certainly help.

A lot of that is implied in "Q-Ship" but anything I missed comes out YOUR pockets, not your friendly genie's.

Given the season, I think SS Shadrak, SS Meshak, and SS Abednego would be good choices.

Or Wynken, Blynken and Nod -- that set should be on removable nameplates so each trip the names can be rotated among the three ships. That way nobody will know which is the Q-Ship.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Senior Chief   » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:11 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

Weird Harold wrote:Poof!

You are now the proud owner of three starships.

Two are standard eight megaton tramp freighters upgraded with military drives and compensators. (circa 1900 RMN Standard)

The third ship is a pod-laying Q-Ship based on the same freighter design and upgrades as your two standard freighters.

What do you name your ships?

How about Hope, Charity, and Faith from earth history WWII, Malta.
Post by GofyTomcat1   » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:27 pm

GofyTomcat1
Commander

My choices:

Freighters: SS Stephanie Harrington and SS Lionheart:
Civilians (because these freighters are not RMN commissioned) who nevertheless displayed the courage and determination in the face of difficult odds

Q-Ship: RHNS Shannon Foraker (No one specified the Q-ships were Manty in origin, and for the propensity to say "oops" whenever she drops her pods (disguised as something as unassuming as physically possible) and something goes boom.)

RMN-commissioned Q-ship in the same class (Bolthole class): HMS Sonja Hemphill (Sonja also has a thing for surprising technological developments,and she has the knack for an "oops" type development that results in brilliance)
Post by saber964   » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:39 pm

saber964
Admiral

MuonNeutrino wrote:I would name them SS Voyager and SS Pioneer for the freighters, and SS Starlight for the Q-ship.

If I owned starships, they'd be named to reflect what I feel about space travel and exploration, which is a topic that is very important to me.

Voyager and Pioneer are named after the first two (sets of) space probes to be launched on trajectories out of our solar system. New Horizons has since joined them, but for me those two names will forever signify the human drive to explore. If I could hitch a ride on a true interstellar starship, I'd do so in a heartbeat, and I wouldn't be coming back until I'd seen absolutely everything there is to be seen.

The reasoning behind Starlight is a bit more personal. It refers to the sense of transcendent awe and wonder I feel when I'm outside, alone, at night, under the stars, contemplating the dizzying complexity and majestic beauty and endless wonders of this amazing universe we live in. It's almost a religious experience, and that sense of awe is really where the hunger for exploration and understanding comes from. The touch of Starlight is the universe to me.

You forgot Mariner
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:41 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

GofyTomcat1 wrote:(No one specified the Q-ships were Manty in origin,...

No, I didn't specify, but Manticore is the only source of pod-laying Q-Ships, which I did specify.

I also didn't specify that the Q-Ships were military assets; I intended more a Pirate's Bane sort of privately flagged Q-Ship. If you choose to apply for a letter of marque or warrant from some system Navy or SDF, that's up to you.

(PS: you do have a source for missiles and pods for your Q-Ship. The RMN or other Navy might not know you have a source, but it's there nonetheless.)
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by MuonNeutrino   » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:01 am

MuonNeutrino
Commander

saber964 wrote:You forgot Mariner

I'm aware of the Mariner missions, yes, but I was specifically referring to the first sets of spaceprobes launched on trajectories that would take them out of our solar system. The Mariner probes only visited Mercury, Venus, and Mars, and all of them are still orbiting the Sun (or Mars). Pioneer 10 and 11, Voyager 1 and 2, and New Horizons are the only space probes we've launched that are actually in the process of leaving the solar system - no other space probes we've launched are moving fast enough to escape the Sun's gravity.
Post by Annachie   » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:26 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Porter, Amber, and Dark (or perhaps Dunkel)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Honorverse