Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests

Most heart wrenching death

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Most heart wrenching death
Post by npadln   » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:39 pm

npadln
Commander

Honor's PNS Tepes cell mate, McGinley; her armsmen, Jamie and Eddy; her XO,Venizelos. All lost escaping PNS Tepes. I don't think I have read more wrenching expressions of anguish and loss than in, In Enemy Hands.
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:05 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

I'm surprised RoseandHeather hasn't piped up with Javier Giscard yet.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by drothgery   » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:00 am

drothgery
Admiral

Midshipwoman Pavlitec.
Post by Fox2!   » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:32 am

Fox2!
Commodore

drothgery wrote:Midshipwoman Pavlitec.

And the (her words, more or less) kind of cute Marine Lieutenant heading up the boarding party.
Post by cthia   » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:31 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I forgot to post Dominica Santos, Fearless' chief engineer. As engineers go, she was the most endearing. I was sorry we lost her. Other than Truman's engineer playing with his spanners, Santos was the most that gave me the Scotty vibe.

I enjoyed cringing when things went boom inside the ships. And the microscopic view of dedicated people like Santos heaving bulkheads, stepping over impaled bodies, dodging spraying electrical power grids and many more things I can't even imagine to save all she can save without regard to her own life. And without hesitation.

Gets me right @heart every time.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:56 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

would have loved to see santos live to take over as chief on the new fearless.

one of the great and bad things about a weber is that it has been proven that no-one is safe. even honour has had several close calls.

about the only other writer i know who kills off long lived fan favourites is Dan Abnett in his Gaunt's Ghosts books
Post by Silverwall   » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:33 pm

Silverwall
Captain (Junior Grade)

Dauntless wrote:would have loved to see santos live to take over as chief on the new fearless.

one of the great and bad things about a weber is that it has been proven that no-one is safe. even honour has had several close calls.

about the only other writer i know who kills off long lived fan favourites is Dan Abnett in his Gaunt's Ghosts books

I believe the only person with a get of of dead card is Honors steward McGuinness as Mrs RFC is fond of him and he wouldn't want to be demoted to the couch :-)
Post by saber964   » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:32 pm

saber964
Admiral

Silverwall wrote:
Dauntless wrote:would have loved to see santos live to take over as chief on the new fearless.

I believe the only person with a get of of dead card is Honors steward McGuinness as Mrs RFC is fond of him and he wouldn't want to be demoted to the couch :-)

Another probable on the Do Not Kill list is Nimitz.
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:39 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Another heart wrenching death was Admiral Courvoisier. I liked him immensely, but mostly because well... I knew the gut wrenching pain it was going to cause Honor. I didn't want Honor to get that news, because I knew it was going to be a looping right hand to the face, a punch to the belly and an uppercut to the jaw while she just stood there gob-smacked. On top of feeling she had deserted him. I'm sure that's one death that continues to ride Honor hard at night... poor Mac.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:27 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

yes the admiral is character who had fairly minimal screen time but arguably a death that has had the most impact on honor barring perhaps paul tankersly and her armsmen

Return to Honorverse