Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 39 guests

Abbreviation pronunciations

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Abbreviation pronunciations
Post by Yow   » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:35 am

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

Relax wrote:Since the ship CLAC, is a "thing," it will be pronounced as the shortest possible. It will be CLACK. Two syllables. It certainly will not be 3. c, la, ck. cl-ack is shorter.

COLAC will be pronounced however the military thinks is most austere yet respectable. Why it was not COWLAC.

So, Co-Lack = COLAC

Yow wrote:I don't think clack is cool. Short but not cool.

Relax wrote:So, what you are saying is, if I pronounce it in my head the way you do, I get a whole new series to read? :o

:shock: That is a lot of material... We'd better get started. What'd you say it was again? Clack? Clack. Got it.

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by Dafmeister   » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:51 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5685&p=142625&hilit=CLACs#p142625

I asked the same question a while back and was lucky enough to get a response from RFC on page 5. The official pronunciation of CLAC is 'sea-lack'. I still tend to read it as 'clack', but then I tend to read SD as 'superdreadnaught' rather than 'ess-dee'.
Post by stewart   » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:45 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Relax wrote:Since the ship CLAC, is a "thing," it will be pronounced as the shortest possible. It will be CLACK. Two syllables. It certainly will not be 3. c, la, ck. cl-ack is shorter.

COLAC will be pronounced however the military thinks is most austere yet respectable. Why it was not COWLAC.

So, Co-Lack = COLAC

---------------

Relax --

Bite your tongue !
A Commissioned / Christened vessel is always refered to as a "she" as the ship develops a personality of it's own.

A ship becomes an "it" only when IT is in your targeting scope.

As to pronunciation, I see / read CLAC as "see-el-ay-cee" much as I read CVN as "see-vee-en" -- for both I think Carrier as applicable.

-- Stewart
Post by jchilds   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:00 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

stewart wrote:

So, Co-Lack = COLAC

---------------

Relax --

Bite your tongue !
A Commissioned / Christened vessel is always refered to as a "she" as the ship develops a personality of it's own.

As to pronunciation, I see / read CLAC as "see-el-ay-cee" much as I read CVN as "see-vee-en" -- for both I think Carrier as applicable.

-- Stewart

Unless it's a Masadan vessel.
Post by Vince   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:32 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

jchilds wrote:
stewart wrote:Relax

Bite your tongue !

-- Stewart

Unless it's a Masadan vessel.

Or Russian.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by kenl511   » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:06 pm

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

Kizarvexis wrote:I am of the lack (LAC), see-lack (CLAC), co-lack (COLAC) variety, since this seems to be a informal survey. ;)

Edit to add my wife's viewpoint. She reads Honorverse for the relationship and the vengeance on the bad guys. She skims the battles and info dumps and if she has a question, I play guru on the mountain. So she sees LAC, CLAC, and COLAC as ship, ship and officer. :lol:

So with her contribution it would be a lass and a LAC?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:16 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kenl511 wrote:
Kizarvexis wrote:I am of the lack (LAC), see-lack (CLAC), co-lack (COLAC) variety, since this seems to be a informal survey. ;)

Edit to add my wife's viewpoint. She reads Honorverse for the relationship and the vengeance on the bad guys. She skims the battles and info dumps and if she has a question, I play guru on the mountain. So she sees LAC, CLAC, and COLAC as ship, ship and officer. :lol:

So with her contribution it would be a lass and a LAC?

*GROAN* what have we done that you punish us so?

:D

Return to Honorverse