Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

Roland DD or not?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Roland DD or not?
Post by JeffEngel   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:45 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:While I otherwise agree with your points, I do feel compelled to make a technical correction. House of Steel says the Roland-class does have a pair of chase grasers (aka spinal mounted grasers) in each hammerhead. It doesn't state their size (and given everything else crammed in they probably aren't of unusual size). But they probably are bigger than any of it's broadside energy mounts (5 lasers per broadside).

Of course a shrike has no broadside weapons at all, so that's another way it's unlike one - you know like basically everything else about it :D

Okay, okay. Still - big ol' chase graser isn't spinal.

Of course, big chase graser on a Roland may be as large as a Shrike's spinal one. Almost? Beats me. Probably doesn't beat someone else, and if we're looking for interesting tangents out of this....
Post by JeffEngel   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:48 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

kzt wrote:I'm confused as to why anyone even reads threads Skimper starts, much less spends any time making a serious and well-thought out response to them.

Here, it's a matter of definition. I've got a BA in philosophy on the one hand, and the use and adjustment of naval ship category names is a particular curiosity of mine. So while it didn't look like something that really deserved reply, it made my brain Do Things anyway.
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:13 am

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote:
fallsfromtrees wrote:You certainly seem to want to redefine and redesign RFC's ships and navies. May I suggest that you go off and write you own 20 volume space opera using your own naval designs, and when you have sold as many copies as David, come back here and tell us how is should be done.

I, however, will not cease respiratory functioning in anticipation of this event.

I do expect that you will once again engage in necrotic equine abuse.
Pretty much this.
Although it seems odd to sinlge the Roland out for having a small crew "less than seventy" [MoH:ch23] when the Wolfhound he does accept as a DD has a crew almost as small "only 87" [HoS], and most of that is probably because its missile tubes aren't clustered so require more on-mount crew.

I assumed the crew difference was due to a squad of Marines; number of weapons systems is about the same.

Rob
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:17 am

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

JeffEngel wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:While I otherwise agree with your points, I do feel compelled to make a technical correction. House of Steel says the Roland-class does have a pair of chase grasers (aka spinal mounted grasers) in each hammerhead. It doesn't state their size (and given everything else crammed in they probably aren't of unusual size). But they probably are bigger than any of it's broadside energy mounts (5 lasers per broadside).

Of course a shrike has no broadside weapons at all, so that's another way it's unlike one - you know like basically everything else about it :D

Okay, okay. Still - big ol' chase graser isn't spinal.

Of course, big chase graser on a Roland may be as large as a Shrike's spinal one. Almost? Beats me. Probably doesn't beat someone else, and if we're looking for interesting tangents out of this....

It is a pair of grasers on the chase; must be because they aren't going to turn to engage broadside, as their bow wall, and off-bore weapons no longer require it. They're actually tougher face to face. Hell of a surprise for the first Sollie to see it.
Rob

Rob
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:24 am

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:I'm confused as to why anyone even reads threads Skimper starts, much less spends any time making a serious and well-thought out response to them.

Vince wrote:They probably haven't either figured out

1) yet that replying to Skimper is useless
or
2) how to set the forum to ignore all of Skimper's posts.

Hutch wrote:You know, to give LS credit, while most of his ideas are full-goose bozo, the rebuttals almost always lead off into a productive discussion of something....normally having nothing to do with the original post.

Which is pretty much what rosenheather said, but I said it better.... :twisted: 8-)

*Ducks waffle iron chucked at head.* :shock:

the discussions sometimes even lead to such heated argument the 1st Space Lord engages, and then things get clarified. But my undergrad degrees included English, so I agree with Jeff Engel--it comes down to semantics and definitions and precise use of language.

Which Skimper is perfectly happy to ignore. But he sparks off some great discussions, sometimes.

Rob
Post by Hutch   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:36 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:It is a pair of grasers on the chase; must be because they aren't going to turn to engage broadside, as their bow wall, and off-bore weapons no longer require it. They're actually tougher face to face. Hell of a surprise for the first Sollie to see it.
Rob

Rob

I think Admiral Dubroskaya (Shadows of Freedom) would agree that the Roland's capablity was a bit of a surprise...if you have a Meduim that can contact her in the spirit world... :evil: :shock: 8-)
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Vince   » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:30 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

or

Hutch wrote:You know, to give LS credit, while most of his ideas are full-goose bozo, the rebuttals almost always lead off into a productive discussion of something....normally having nothing to do with the original post.

Which is pretty much what rosenheather said, but I said it better.... :twisted: 8-)

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:the discussions sometimes even lead to such heated argument the 1st Space Lord engages, and then things get clarified. But my undergrad degrees included English, so I agree with Jeff Engel--it comes down to semantics and definitions and precise use of language.

Which Skimper is perfectly happy to ignore. But he sparks off some great discussions, sometimes.

Rob

That said, he's no Sonja Hemphill or Shannon Foraker.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:48 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Vince wrote:

or

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:the discussions sometimes even lead to such heated argument the 1st Space Lord engages, and then things get clarified. But my undergrad degrees included English, so I agree with Jeff Engel--it comes down to semantics and definitions and precise use of language.

Rob

That said, he's no Sonja Hemphill or Shannon Foraker.

That said, he could be a Harold Styles :lol:
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by saber964   » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:49 pm

saber964
Admiral

As I read LS's latest drivel, I am reminded that he is and almost always a bit of a fruitcake when it comes to ships in the Honorvers. That being said ships are defined by there mission and role in a navy. Look at the British Royal Navy of the CE. It has Frigates that are as big or bigger than some of its destroyers. That is because the RN has designated its FF/FFG's as its primary anti-sub platform and its DD/DDG's as its primary anti-air platform. Also the RMN has also experienced tonnage creep like even current era navies. In the USN the Spruance and I-Spruance DD's are as big as several classes of WWII era CL's and some CA's and the new Zumwalt class DDG's are as big or bigger than most WWII CA's and all of the CL's
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:34 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Thought about this one for a while, and yes, while LS has his own unifarce to play around in vs. the Honorverse, like a few others, sometimes his assertions and questions lead to interesting discussions.

So, having read the posts till now, my spot on the analyst's bench says "yes, it's a destroyer that likely makes any light cruiser designs somewhat moot.

Consider the DD's all the way back in HotQ, HMS Madrigal, Troubadour, and PNS Breslau, which could fire "x number of tubes", etc. and get a double broadside by spinning, but still short of the 20 in a Sultan's broadside. They were also pretty much out of it if they got engaged by superior missiles or a larger ship's salvo(s) from the opposition: Troubadour survived as long as it did because of HMS-Fearless CA-286's additional countermissile fire, etc. The Rolands can drop 12, which would be 'six per side' in an older ship, so salvo size is similar. Reduced crewing allows about 50% more missiles...

Hit 'em and they're still dead. It's the hit'em that got much more complicated. The difference is... a Mark-16G is a BIG missile with 5x the range under power and what, eight times the hitting power, of Troubadour's missiles (?), and that requires a much larger hull. With the larger hull you get more places for a flag deck, boat bays, PLDC's, and sensors, so in that way it is taking over the light cruiser role.

So, Rolands are... big honkin' destroyers with cruiser-weight whack-it sticks, and superior defenses -- against any non-MDM opponent.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all

Return to Honorverse