Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

Honorcon 2014--The report thread

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorcon 2014--The report thread
Post by kzt   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:40 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Evergreen showed an amazing animation of their newest Nimitz model. Everyone seemed very impressed, including David.

Matthew Sand is the screenwriter for tHoQ, still wip. How to fit it into the time window of a movie is an issue. Considering going to TV series instead.
Last edited by kzt on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:42 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

[edit - and kzt beat me to it. Darn trying to type this out on a phone]
The evergreen panel showed of some brand new test animation of a treecat running down a branch, leaping across to another tree, then using a combo of true hands and false hands to climb up the trunk using the branches.

The model still needs so work, and it was an anatomical model, so still hairless. But the moment seemed pretty good - David Weber and Sharron both has good things to say about how the 'cat moved. Sharon said it moved like a cat but not a terrestrial cat…

Pretty high praise.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:56 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Evergreen brought up the possibility of a tv series instead of the honor of the queen movie they've been working on. (Edit: clarification no final decision for tv vs movie)

Asked for a show of hands for who'd like a tv series. Lots up of hands for this. David then made the point that if the tv series takes off it takes care of the heNy lifting for a potential later movie.

RFC specifically said he wants it clear that if they go that way he's totally onboard with it - lots of advantages for tv; largely due to the extra time it gives. "You don't have to go for first seeing Nimitz to him ripping off someone's face in 20 minutes"

Update. Evergreen announced a "The Walking Dead"-style adventure game. Would be an original side story that parallels the time of Basilisk Station. Will be a paid game; not free to play.
Engine done end of this year, episode 1 hopefully late next year.
Showed very early demo footage.
Post by Hutch   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:31 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Well, kzt and Johnathon S. beat me too it on the Evergreen portion (one of these days I'll have to buy me a handheld device....but for now I remain a Neo-Luddite).

Two earlier presentations, one from BuNine titled "What the US Navy taught me about the Honorverse". It was actaully designed for the Star Trek Universe, but he added in the Hinorverse. Rather involved and I didn't have a pen or pad of paper to take notes, but it kept everyone involved for the hour.

Next was the MWW himself, on "Grayson Religion and Marriage Practices". We got the tidbit that a lot of Grayson is based on the "Wesley Qautrilateral(sp) as defined by DW, and a hint at the end that marriage on Grayson will adapt to the changes wrought by Allison's gene therapy, and a lot of discussion on how the Doctrine of the "test" allowed Grayson to adapt to the sudden changes of it's culture.

A lot of it was David on religion in general, and since in practice I am closer to Nuncio than Grayson, I didn't really take a lot of notes. The MWW takes his religious views seriously, and I am OK with that; I simply have no truck with any religion so I am not disposed to change my mind on that.

Still, it was interesting to understand further where DW's writing is coming from.

More after lunch.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by kzt   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:44 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

David did take my question about aborting girls on Masada and he pointed out that their theory wasn't just that women needed to be controlled but that they were literally a necessary evil.
Post by kzt   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:21 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The ke and energy weapons session was very good and short and did a decent job of explaining how stuff worked in a logical way based on a paper on 4th gen nuclear weapons.

Tom Pope explained that the focus on grasers was far less than ideal, so the spot size at absurd ranges is vast and the power level too low to do much. However this doesn't impact operations at combat range.

He also said that the range change that you 'should' see changing hyper levels is kind of an issue and to not assume it does or does not happen.
Post by Phalanx   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:00 pm

Phalanx
Commander

Hope someone uploads video of the panels.

Wish I could have afforded to go. :cry:

Maybe next year.
_

Post by roseandheather   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:00 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

If anyone else was at the panel, I'd love some more concrete details on Grayson and the Church.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:40 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:If anyone else was at the panel, I'd love some more concrete details on Grayson and the Church.

Can't remember Weber providing real any new details on the church. There was some stuff where the idea of the doctrine of the test came from, and based on a question a bit about how the Masadans distorted everything.

But a lot if the hour wandered off into tangentially related topics. Interesting, but not concrete information you might be looking for.

Not sure if that was one if the panels that got recorded. Some of them at least should be posted to YouTube at some point (assuming I understood correctly)
Post by kzt   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:02 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:If anyone else was at the panel, I'd love some more concrete details on Grayson and the Church.

He explained that the church of humanity unchained is essentially Methodists with a different focus on what is important. Which he explained at great detail, but the Weslyian Quadrilateral meant nothing to me. You can look it up on Wikipedia too, which is what I had to do. I think he used the test as the interaction of reason and experiance, but my understanding of the finer points of Protestant theology is pretty much nonexistent.

Return to Honorverse