Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

A Treecat Vocal Comm

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: A Treecat Vocal Comm
Post by kzt   » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:59 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:From the scenes with Honor and various other commanders dealing with daily reports, it doesn't seem that Voice Recognition software is the default method of annotating reports.

People can type a LOT faster then they can dictate.

People can also read a lot quicker than they can listen to the same text being read to them.
Post by Valen123456   » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:27 am

Valen123456
Lieutenant Commander

I am not sure why so many comments are going back to stylus/pencil and keyboard options. My little suggestion of a speech generator that could read Treecat sign language and vocalize it was never intended to make life easier for Treecats but for the non-sign language people listening to them.

Going to typed out message relays like your suggesting would be like asking a mute who has only just learned to communicate by taping out morse code with a spoon, to convert to a new musical language played exclusively on a trumpet. Treecats might have just learned to sign and via the Memory Singers spread that learning far faster than any human could hope to achieve. It will take a similar length of time probably to learn how to read and write as we do and does gain them anything they have not just already gained via sign language.

My little glove based vocalizer is a method to help others understand them, and so speed up and ease the transitions, while offering the least physical complication too a Treecat.
Post by Zakharra   » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:38 am

Zakharra
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:I don't know guys. What you are proposing just seems like a waste of what the treecats have already learned - sign language. I think the proposal of utilizing a system similar to the gorilla in Congo has much more merit. It seems more practical to me. Getting information into a treecat via reading, sounds practical, if possible. However, getting info out of them via writing then translating that writing, sounds much more inefficient, slow and cumbersome, compared to technology translating their already existing and much faster than the written word - sign language. Someone communicating via sign language wouldn't naturally want to pick up a stylus to communicate when sign language is literally there at their fingertips. That would be taking a step backwards. Why teach a human to sign in the first place if you are going to revert back to writing.

Of course, the path to commucication is different. Human and treecat. But now that you've taught a treecat to sign - and it has permeated throughout all the cats. Why discard it? And treecats are not going to be able to carry ipads/stylus while sitting atop a person's head. And a person isn't going to want a mobile office atop his head. Albeit, a treecat actually sits atop his person's shoulder, but following the natural progression of life, it won't be long before he'll be utilizing the wasted space atop his person's head as a coffee table for his remote/stylus/ipad.

:lol:

Also, we have to consider the treecat on a more personal level. Treecats are going to want as less invasion into their space as possible. After all, they are still treecats. Let's close the communication gap as less invasively and with as less hindrance to the cat as possible.

Scenario. A human has a laptop on his lap while working. Suddenly, a serious threat appears. A deadly cobra at one's feet. Where will the laptop, or an ipad end up? Who knows?! Mode of attack prevents pretty. Form follows function. It's the same as what happens when a youngster has to be taught not to swing his back out of his hands after a hit. The youngster goes into attack mode, attacking first base. His bat goes into attack mode against someone's head. "Hey, I told you. Not to throw that bat!"

Now imagine a treecat, with an ipad always in his hand.

The treecat senses danger.

The snarl of a battle cry is uttered.

A flying ipad reflexively ensues and two kills. The treecat's, and the flying ipad's.

Edit:
I suppose more articulate, precise communication could be obtained with the written word. Though still not everyday, all day practical.

Well all treecats might sooner than later know sign language, but most humans won't. however, most humans -will- understand keyboard inputted commands and words. Heck, just having a tablet the treecat could write things down with might be good enough. If a treecat has to say something it's going to be severely limited to those who can understand sign language. I'm just suggesting an alternative that should be workable. Treecats seem to be much more intelligent than apes and chimps, at about human levels of intelligence. So something like an I-pad or tablet would be workable. You don;t have to be able to speak a language to be understood in it (writing).

Michael Everett wrote:
Zakharra wrote: They could do that now. Treecats can read and understand English (assuming that is the most commonly used language in the Honorverse), so why can't they use something like an I-pad or tablet with a keyboard and pre-programmed responses for many basic commands and phrases/words used? Would it be that hard to teach them that?

Actually, they generally didn't as of Honor Among Enemies. Nimitz didn't know how to read the numbers on the lift, bit he had memorised which buttons to hit in order to take him to specific decks (such as the Horticultural deck where he and Samantha liked to snuggle).

Treecats think differently to humans. While they can innovate to solve a problem, they tend to apply the resulting innovation only to that problem rather than experimenting to see if it helps with any other issue. While this is subject to change (Nimitz and Samantha's kids being raised amongst humans), Treecats are still rather limited from a mental flexability viewpoint.

Besides, why should they try to innovate when they can simply try to copy humans?

This doesn't mean they can't learn how to though. Sign language, as useful as it is simply is not understood by enough people to be practical. Something like a keypad/tablet would help their communications be understood by a lot more people. And treecats aren't stupid by any means. They seem to have near/at human level intelligence so they should be capable of learning to understand the written language, they can already understand the spoken ones so written shouldn't be that hard.

pokermind wrote:Perhaps treecats might learn keyboarding, but what if the keyboard is a thing of the ancient past. Our author is already doing most of his writing with voice activated software he still needs the key board for corrections, however given two millennia I'd be surprised if the software was not improved :D

Poker

Something to keep in mind, warships suffer battle damage and ships can suffer damage, including lost of atmosphere. This means it would be very hard to impossible to use voice commands on a space ship. A manual entry port like a keyboard allows commands to be entered under any circumstances. Plus it would be very very hard to give voice commands when you have alarms screaming in your ear (battle, proximity alert, atmosphere loss, whatever), keyboards allow for much easier access and use, in and out of space suits.
Post by Zakharra   » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:41 am

Zakharra
Captain of the List

Valen123456 wrote:I am not sure why so many comments are going back to stylus/pencil and keyboard options. My little suggestion of a speech generator that could read Treecat sign language and vocalize it was never intended to make life easier for Treecats but for the non-sign language people listening to them.

Going to typed out message relays like your suggesting would be like asking a mute who has only just learned to communicate by taping out morse code with a spoon, to convert to a new musical language played exclusively on a trumpet. Treecats might have just learned to sign and via the Memory Singers spread that learning far faster than any human could hope to achieve. It will take a similar length of time probably to learn how to read and write as we do and does gain them anything they have not just already gained via sign language.

My little glove based vocalizer is a method to help others understand them, and so speed up and ease the transitions, while offering the least physical complication too a Treecat.

Probably because the glove thing would be too glitchy and likely to activate at the wrong time. I can't imagine the treecat would want to wear gloves all the time just to be able to talk, or have to put them on and off all the time either. At least with a keyboard/stylus you can input information as long as you have a finger. It's simply easier to use and maintain, plus said tablet would be able to hold a lot more information the treecat might want to hold onto(a four armed hacker anyone?).
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:19 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

However, a treecat communicating as the default with a manual interface with some hardware, would defeat the most important need for treecats at the moment. Early warning system!

Do you seriously want a treecat to have to interface with some keyboard or static apparatus when he needs to quickly warn of impending danger? Lost time from such an inefficient communication protocol will cost lives. And the mission, at the moment, is to save lives.

I imagine very minitiarized versions of the Congo gorilla hardware with available Honorverse tech that will be as unobstrusive as an armband.

Regardless, you simply cannot forego function in favor of form.

A treecat may need to quickly scream an alert, not search for an interface.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by kzt   » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:01 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The way these things work is by having a camera looking at the person signing and the computer translates it to text or spoken language.
Post by Zakharra   » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:42 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:However, a treecat communicating as the default with a manual interface with some hardware, would defeat the most important need for treecats at the moment. Early warning system!

Do you seriously want a treecat to have to interface with some keyboard or static apparatus when he needs to quickly warn of impending danger? Lost time from such an inefficient communication protocol will cost lives. And the mission, at the moment, is to save lives.

I imagine very minitiarized versions of the Congo gorilla hardware with available Honorverse tech that will be as unobstrusive as an armband.

If they are being used as an early warning system, then they don't necessarily need anything, even signing (which requires line of sight and the recipient to be looking at the treecat in the first place) to sound a warning. They can stioll scream out their alert, or they could hit a button and/or launch themselves at the target, shrieking a buzz saw warcry while their claws pop and prepare to shred said target. Using an electronic interface wouldn't change that ability. Using sign language would in fact be slower than an electronic interface like a tablet or I-pad like device.

As it stands now, there's no need for anymore interface for emergency warnings than what they have been using pre-sign language. That won't change, assuming the emergency is a physical one. So I am failing to see why you think electronic interfaces would be a detriment. Especially since most people cannot understand sign language at all. But they can understand typed or written messages(and with an electronic interface you can pre-program in certain alerts and phrases, all you need to do is hit a button/key. Think of it being like hot-keying a command. All you do it tap the key and the command activates.

Not to mention it would help people see the treecats as intelligent beings, not fluffy quasi-dangerous animals. Being able to hold an intelligent conversation with a treecat? That would blow away a LOT of misconceptions about them.
Post by MaxxQ   » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:44 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

cthia wrote:However, a treecat communicating as the default with a manual interface with some hardware, would defeat the most important need for treecats at the moment. Early warning system!

A 'cat already has a fast, built-in warning system - his screeching snarl. I can't imagine anyone *not* figuring out that a canvas-tearing snarl with the treecat that emitted it going balls to the wall in the direction of the danger means "DANGER, Will Robinson!!!1111oneoneone".

Granted, Honor has a bit of a connection with Nimitz, but I'd like to think that even if she hadn't, she would have figured out fairly quickly the situation during the dinner party with Protector Benjamin. Besides that, there have been numerous other situations where a 'cat has warned his companion of danger with no link other than the bonding.

The problem I see with gloves, as suggested elsewhere, is that they would have to be fingerless gloves, or at least fingertip-less gloves. I doubt a 'cat would want to waste time trying to get the gloves off before trying to extend his claws for an attack. I suppose you could leave off the tips of the fingers, but then, that *may* hamper communications, if the 'cat's fingertip is required for a certain sign.

In the end, there's never going to be a perfect method for easy communication between treecats and humans. Any of the previous suggestions will work, in *most* cases/situations, but there is always going to be a drawback somewhere, even with just pure sign language with no translation medium - I've known in the past several people who use ASL everyday for communication, and a couple of them also suffer from serious multiple-surgeries-required carpal-tunnel. I imagine to someone who communicates exclusively through signing, that is like trying to talk with your jaw wired shut, while also trying to deal with the pain from the *reason* the jaw is wired (and yes, I went to school with a kid who had broken his jaw, and while most of the time, he was understandable, there were times when it was easier for him to write it out).
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Zakharra wrote:
cthia wrote:
However, a treecat communicating as the default with a manual interface with some hardware, would defeat the most important need for treecats at the moment. Early warning system!

If they are being used as an early warning system, then they don't necessarily need anything, even signing (which requires line of sight and the recipient to be looking at the treecat in the first place) to sound a warning. They can stioll scream out their alert, or they could hit a button and/or launch themselves at the target, shrieking a buzz saw warcry while their claws pop and prepare to shred said target. Using an electronic interface wouldn't change that ability. Using sign language would in fact be slower than an electronic interface like a tablet or I-pad like device.

As it stands now, there's no need for anymore interface for emergency warnings than what they have been using pre-sign language. That won't change, assuming the emergency is a physical one. So I am failing to see why you think electronic interfaces would be a detriment. Especially since most people cannot understand sign language at all. But they can understand typed or written messages(and with an electronic interface you can pre-program in certain alerts and phrases, all you need to do is hit a button/key. Think of it being like hot-keying a command. All you do it tap the key and the command activates.

Not to mention it would help people see the treecats as intelligent beings, not fluffy quasi-dangerous animals. Being able to hold an intelligent conversation with a treecat? That would blow away a LOT of misconceptions about them.

wiki concerning movie Congo wrote:
Dr. Peter Elliott (Dylan Walsh), a primatologist at the University of California, Berkeley, and his assistant Richard (Grant Heslov) teach human communication to primates using a gorilla named Amy (voiced by Shayna Fox). With a special backpack and glove, her sign language is translated to a digitized voice.

http://youtu.be/KXlSFKLuzTA
But I don't think electronic interfaces would be a detriment. I'm all for the idea. Please see my original post. I simply think that any use of technology/interface should be as practical, efficient, and less invasive as possible.

And the tech in the movie works on movement. Present motion/accelerometer tech pioneeered in our present day tablets to change screen orientation. Video games involving driving. The Wii. etc. Movement of the arms, fingers is instantaneously transferred into speech. An advanced tech base, such as the Honorverse, could forgo all of that with a surgical, transmitting implant just under the skin. Miniaturization. Or perhaps some other slant on the concept made possible with advanced Manty tech. Heck, the GA has Shannon, Hemphill and Simoes now. You don't think that trio can vastly improve on 2014 Old Earth tech?

As far as early warning system. You are correct about the snarling treecats snarl sounding an alarm. But sometimes you need a more descriptive alarm that is more human. Such as "duck!," "get down!," or my personal fave "RUN!" In cases where the People's method of solving certain problems are out of their radius of influence.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Zakharra   » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:09 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:
Zakharra wrote:

Regardless, you simply [i]cannot
forego function in favor of form.

A treecat may need to quickly scream an alert, not search for an interface.[/i]

wiki concerning movie Congo wrote:
Dr. Peter Elliott (Dylan Walsh), a primatologist at the University of California, Berkeley, and his assistant Richard (Grant Heslov) teach human communication to primates using a gorilla named Amy (voiced by Shayna Fox). With a special backpack and glove, her sign language is translated to a digitized voice.

http://youtu.be/KXlSFKLuzTA
But I don't think electronic interfaces would be a detriment. I'm all for the idea. Please see my original post. I simply think that any use of technology/interface should be as practical, efficient, and less invasive as possible.

And the tech in the movie works on movement. Present motion/accelerometer tech pioneeered in our present day tablets to change screen orientation. Video games involving driving. The Wii. etc. Movement of the arms, fingers is instantaneously transferred into speech. An advanced tech base, such as the Honorverse, could forgo all of that with a surgical, transmitting implant just under the skin. Miniaturization. Or perhaps some other slant on the concept made possible with advanced Manty tech. Heck, the GA has Shannon, Hemphill and Simoes now. You don't think that trio can vastly improve on 2014 Old Earth tech?

As far as early warning system. You are correct about the snarling treecats snarl sounding an alarm. But sometimes you need a more descriptive alarm that is more human. Such as "duck!," "get down!," or my personal fave "RUN!" In cases where the People's method of solving certain problems are out of their radius of influence.

In this case it immediately runs into the problem of the programming will see -any- movement of the arms, hands and fingers as possible speech. Treecats use their limbs for pretty much everything, how would the computer be able tell what's meant to be speech and what isn't? If they have to turn it in, that's an impediment to clear communication. There just seems to be too many limitations to using hands or movements being translated into speech by electronics as you are saying.

Also, doesn't sign language use one letter at a time? If so, wouldn't it actually be faster to type it out rather than sign? At least with a keyboard, it knows when you move onto a new letter, a computer program might have to have you hold the letter/word for a moment to identify it otherwise it might get confused to what you are saying if your hands/fingers never stop moving.

Grrr.. stupid quote limit.. >:(

Return to Honorverse