Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Beowulf mimicing the idea of Maya

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Beowulf mimicing the idea of Maya
Post by SWM   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:57 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Hornblower wrote:
SWM wrote:You mean, daughter colonies like Visigoth? :mrgreen:

Well, Visigoth is on the other side (MAlign) :(

Yes, I know. But it is also a daughter colony of Beowulf, and no one knows that Visigoth is on the other side. Not even the people of Visigoth, except for a handful of top people.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Hornblower   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:26 pm

Hornblower
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

[/quote]
Yes, I know. But it is also a daughter colony of Beowulf, and no one knows that Visigoth is on the other side. Not even the people of Visigoth, except for a handful of top people.[/quote]

That probably applies to all members of the RF
Post by namelessfly   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:41 pm

namelessfly

n7axw wrote:I wonder if Beowulf might be a eventual candidate for membership in the SEM.

Don

To ensure it's security, the SEM should remain galactographically compact so that fleet units stationed in it's various member systems can offer mutual support. However; the most rapid mode of mutual support is via wormhole transits. How many battles have we seen where fleet units make wormhole transits to support another system that is under attack?

For this reason, Beawulf is an absolutely logical choice to be integrated into the SEM.
Post by n7axw   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:35 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

7thsealord wrote:
n7axw wrote:I wonder if Beowulf might be a eventual candidate for membership in the SEM.

Don

Given the ... reputation of Beowulfers in certain quarters (in the good ol' days, at least), I can see a few Manticorean pollies having a cow about your idea.

Mantiicore and Beowulf are already very closely connected (and inter-connected), but I suspect that Beowulf would prefer to stay "just friends", so to speak. Still, stranger things have happened, or are happening, or WILL happen.

I think I agree... But consider San Martin. That one didn't seem very likely either.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by n7axw   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:45 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

namelessfly wrote:

Don

To ensure it's security, the SEM should remain galactographically compact so that fleet units stationed in it's various member systems can offer mutual support. However; the most rapid mode of mutual support is via wormhole transits. How many battles have we seen where fleet units make wormhole transits to support another system that is under attack?

For this reason, Beawulf is an absolutely logical choice to be integrated into the SEM.

Your logic here is what led to my question. It does make sense on some levels, especially military. But the difference in cultures might make them more natually friends and allies than sharing the same polity. In a way it may well be like Grayson who has been Manticore's loyal friend but would have no desire to join the SEM.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Dafmeister   » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:44 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

There's also a diplomatic side to the equation. Even if Beowulf wanted to join the Star Empire, it would probably be a bad idea for it to happen now, before the League fragments. We know that the Mandarins have been pushing the line that Manticore is another nasty expansionist/imperialist collection of neobarbs. At the moment, from the perspective of most Sollie citizens, especially in the Core, that expansion/imperialism has been happenening way the hell 'over there' out in the Verge and beyond. If Beowulf joined the SEM, that expansion would be brought right into the heart of the League, and would go a long way to cementing the idea of the SEM as a 'clear and present danger' to the core worlds.
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:18 am

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

I don't think Beowulf wants to join the SEM. I think they are more like Grayson, then want to be allies but indpendent. It'll be hard to maintain objectivity and their righteous cause if, after the cede from the the League, they jump in bed with Maticore as full members of the Empire, instead of Allies against a common threat.
Post by SWM   » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:07 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Hornblower wrote:
Yes, I know. But it is also a daughter colony of Beowulf, and no one knows that Visigoth is on the other side. Not even the people of Visigoth, except for a handful of top people.

That probably applies to all members of the RF

We know it applies to all members of the RF. David has told us so.

People seem to be missing my point. Beowulf will probably try to organize some of the other local systems, as they start to pull out of the Solarian League. An obvious start would be her own daughter colonies, with whom she mostly has good relations. Visigoth is a daughter colony of Beowulf, and has (along with the other RF members) had a firm stance against genetic slavery. Would Beowulf try to get Visigoth as an ally? What would be the repercussions?
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:27 am

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

SWM wrote:People seem to be missing my point. Beowulf will probably try to organize some of the other local systems, as they start to pull out of the Solarian League. An obvious start would be her own daughter colonies, with whom she mostly has good relations. Visigoth is a daughter colony of Beowulf, and has (along with the other RF members) had a firm stance against genetic slavery. Would Beowulf try to get Visigoth as an ally? What would be the repercussions?

Bolding by me.
That was what I was getting at here. I think they should form their own little political entity, it just makes sense.
I thik they would reach out to the Visigoths, but, obviously, they would go with the RF, not Beowulf.
Post by stewart   » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:56 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

I thik they would reach out to the Visigoths, but, obviously, they would go with the RF, not Beowulf.[/quote]

Visigoth MAY sign on "unofficially" or "informally" with Beowulf depending on the risk assessment of the RF as a means of getting intel.
I think that will effectively last until Bark Chewer's Bane and the other Beowulf-assigned 'cats casually encounter and assess the Visigoth delegation.

-- Stewart

Return to Honorverse