Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

Battle of Spindle Aftermath

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Battle of Spindle Aftermath
Post by kzt   » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:38 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Your going to do forensics on the projectile how? It never touches the barrel as it propelled by grav fields. And then it strikes an armored deck a several km/sec and gets turned into a smear.
Post by crewdude48   » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:47 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

akira.taylor wrote:IF the SLN keeps close tabs on which pulser is assigned to which person (seems reasonable), then it shouldn't be easy to change. As in, the armory should probably be the only place it can be changed (to note that a pulser was down-listed, and a new one issued). Of course, "SLN" is in that first sentence, so who knows how many ways to circumvent rules there are now?

On the other hand, the SLN may routinely have custom pulsers for senior officers (paid for out of personal funds, of course ^_^). So, Crandell's pulser might be very identifiable.

What do you think, mother of pearl handle with a gold "SC" inlayed in a flowing script? Probably etching and gold leaf all the way up the barrel. A custom holster so it doesn't hide the pulser, and together they probably cost as much as a basic spacer makes in a year I don't know, might be a bit understated for her.
Post by Hutch   » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:35 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

HB of CJ wrote:Excellent topic and thank you. My immediate satisfied reading response was that the again August Admiral was such a total F... U. that she was shot out of hand after loosing the battle and getting so many of her own people killed in the process.

Kinda of a "lower deck" or "gun deck" method of the underling crew, (possible enlisted, possibly not) getting their revenge and in a very vocal and visible way. The handgun was placed into the very dead Admiral's hand as a distinct telltale that they did it.

For what it is worth, in the real world, suicides practically NEVER maintain control of a gun that was in their hands used to do the deadly self deed. It is ALWAYS flung away; some times quite a distance. I knew this; the SD's crew knew this and the author knew it also.

HB of CJ (old coot)

HB, I understand your (and others') thoughts, but I must note that we KNOW (from inference and Filareta's musings in A Rising Thunder) that Crandall was (Financially, at the minimum) deep in Mesa's pockets--and the MAlign has always (as seen in several instances since then) has a obsessive way of making sure anyone who might be able to 'spill the beans' about Measan/MAlign involvement, which could screw up the SL dissolution, would never have the chance to do so--see Filareta for an example.

So it may have been a crew member or one of her staff that pulled the trigger, but the weapon was primed by the MAlign--IMHO as always.
Last edited by Hutch on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:33 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:Your going to do forensics on the projectile how? It never touches the barrel as it propelled by grav fields. And then it strikes an armored deck a several km/sec and gets turned into a smear.
avoid point. And who knows if a recently fired pulsed has a forensic trace comparable to gunpowder residue - where you can tell if it's been fired.

Making it look like a suicide might be as easy as shooting her with one pulser, then pulling her sidearm out ejecting one round and placing it in her dead hand.
Post by munroburton   » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:42 am

munroburton
Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
kzt wrote:Your going to do forensics on the projectile how? It never touches the barrel as it propelled by grav fields. And then it strikes an armored deck a several km/sec and gets turned into a smear.
avoid point. And who knows if a recently fired pulsed has a forensic trace comparable to gunpowder residue - where you can tell if it's been fired.

Making it look like a suicide might be as easy as shooting her with one pulser, then pulling her sidearm out ejecting one round and placing it in her dead hand.

Or swapping magazines, assuming those don't come with their own serial numbers or whatnot.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:47 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:[quote="Jonathan_S]

Making it look like a suicide might be as easy as shooting her with one pulser, then pulling her sidearm out ejecting one round and placing it in her dead hand.[/quote]

Or swapping magazines, assuming those don't come with their own serial numbers or whatnot.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

You definately want to swap mags, the power pack is in the mag. A topped off power cell and missing darts would be a definite red flag.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Re: Excellent Thread And Thank You
Post by MAD-4A   » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:15 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Hutch wrote:...it may have been a crew member or one of her staff that pulled the trigger, but the weapon was primed by the MAlign--IMHO as always.

While I fully concur with your postulate, it’s possible that this may be a red herring and it was a disgruntled subordinate who didn’t want to see her returning to the SL and not see justice for her lost crews. If you are right we just have to wait & see for sure.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Re: Excellent Thread And Thank You
Post by MAD-4A   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:09 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Hutch wrote:...it may have been a crew member or one of her staff that pulled the trigger, but the weapon was primed by the MAlign--IMHO as always.

It just occured to me! I think It was suicided - involintary suicide - nano-tech - that's why she held onto the gun - It didn't release it!
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by phillies   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:35 pm

phillies
Admiral

Perhaps there are no recordings? After all, the Invincible Solarian League Navy is already perfect, so there is nothing to be learned from experience, meaning that the recorder would be a waste of money. Also, if you are an Admiral, the recorder would make it inconvenient for you to blame subordinates for your mistakes.
Post by MAD-4A   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:14 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

phillies wrote:Perhaps there are no recordings? After all, the Invincible Solarian League Navy is already perfect, so there is nothing to be learned from experience, meaning that the recorder would be a waste of money. Also, if you are an Admiral, the recorder would make it inconvenient for you to blame subordinates for your mistakes.
Or perhaps (as with 11th fleet) a "low level tech" slipped in & out and disabled them, before they left, so as not to have the possible "suicide" recorded.
-

Return to Honorverse