Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: George J. Smith and 7 guests

A Side Affect of Planetary Bombardment

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: A Side Affect of Planetary Bombardment
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:41 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

The asteroid 2022 WJ₁ was discovered heading to Earth with three hours of notice before impact (it did impact) on Nov 19, 2022.

This asteroid was a mere 1 metre wide.

Sure, it was less than half a light-second away when it was detected (just over two fifths), but c'mon, that's the smallest asteroid ever discovered while it was still in space.
Re: A Side Affect of Planetary Bombardment
Post by Theemile   » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:32 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
Theemile wrote:Everyone also forgets the opposing shock impact - the shock energy hits with so much force, it causes a bulge out the other side of the planet. If you look at the opposite side of the planet from Chicxulub, you will find an area of the seafloor that look like a giant scab - risen and broken apart, with the layers upended.

So even if you were on the opposite side of the planet, the force of the impact would set off a 2nd tsunami/seismic event which could endanger you.

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:Really? Exactly where is this? Most of the oceanic floor that existed at the end of the Cretaceous is long gone, swallowed by trenches. The biggest piece of oceanic crust that has survived is currently in the North Pacific, being fed into the Izu–Bonin–Mariana trenches.

Theemile wrote:I don't remember exactly where - I saw a documentary about 10 years go where they were running a simulation of the impactor where the outcome showed the far side of the earth distorting from the impact, which completely surprised the geologists. they looked where the models predicted and there was a geologic anomaly there under water. I was expecting the location to the the Siberian volcanic traps, which started erupting "shortly" after the Chicxulub impact - but no direct relation (other than the entire globe would have been flexing from the impact, and popping at the seams.)

After only a brief search I did not find the reference you mentioned, but I did find this speculative video on Youtube. There are articles suggesting earthquakes and tsunamis at the antipode of the Chicxulub impact, but I did not see anything more definite on it. Note that the antipode of the dinosaur killer is not in Siberia, but seems to be off Australia; also that event was about 66 million years ago, not the 250 million when the Siberian Traps event occurred. The event you meant was the Deccan Traps in India.

Asteroid Impacts Cause Volcanoes to Erupt on the Opposite Side of the Planet
The worst mass extinction event on the planet, called the Permian Triassic extinction event, was caused by the eruption of several million cubic kilometers of lava at the Siberian Traps. However, these volcanoes may have an unexpected origin, an asteroid impact. On the exact opposite side of the planet, the large Wilkes Land Crater exists right at the antipode of where the Siberian Traps began. This video will discuss the theory that certain flood basalt volcanoes originated from large asteroid or comet impacts.

Thanks TLB, you saw through the holes in my memory.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse