Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests

Dark Fall: Question on Distribution

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Dark Fall: Question on Distribution
Post by Bosparan   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:46 am

Bosparan
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Recently, the short Story covering Bolthole was Released on Baen.

Now, this is an awesome Story - totally go ahead and read it!
But!! It's on a Website. It's nasty to read, compared to the experience on an ebook Reader. This is not much of a Problem for me - I've been Building ebooks myself for a few years now - and I went ahead and converted Dark Fall into ebook format.

Question: Am I allowed to share it in that Format, so that others that are unable to do this conversion for themselves can also benefit from it?
Re: Dark Fall: Question on Distribution
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:21 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Bosparan wrote:Recently, the short Story covering Bolthole was Released on Baen.

But!! It's on a Website. It's nasty to read, compared to the experience on an ebook Reader. This is not much of a Problem for me - I've been Building ebooks myself for a few years now - and I went ahead and converted Dark Fall into ebook format.

Question: Am I allowed to share it in that Format, so that others that are unable to do this conversion for themselves can also benefit from it?

I certainly hope so, as I would very much love to put "Dark Fall" on my ereader as well.

However, I defer to Our Lord Mod on the matter. :D
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Louis R   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:39 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Complete waste of time and effort and copyright violations

Of course, you'll need to expend some patience instead: Baen puts all the front-page stories and articles into annual compilations in the Free Library when they're taken down. Look here: https://www.baen.com/allbooks/category/index/id/2012

roseandheather wrote:
Bosparan wrote:Recently, the short Story covering Bolthole was Released on Baen.

I certainly hope so, as I would very much love to put "Dark Fall" on my ereader as well.

Post by kzt   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:09 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:I certainly hope so, as I would very much love to put "Dark Fall" on my ereader as well.

Import html into word. Save as rtf. Kindle app will read fine.
Post by Bosparan   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:11 pm

Bosparan
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Louis R wrote:Complete waste of time and effort and copyright violations

Of course, you'll need to expend some patience instead: Baen puts all the front-page stories and articles into annual compilations in the Free Library when they're taken down. Look here: https://www.baen.com/allbooks/category/index/id/2012
Thanks for the link, hadn't tracked that, but it sure is good to know About :)
That said, even if I can't share it with anybody, I'll still consider it good time spent for my own reading (and future re-reading) pleasure. This one took About 15 minutes of editing for me, so that's cool with me.
Also doubt I've comitted any Copyright violations yet, as those would require me sharing the book with others (which I haven't).

Louis R wrote:… you'll need to expend some patience instead …
Damn you, for putting your thumb in my greatest weakness ;)
Post by Duckk   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:58 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

I'd err on the side of caution and not distribute it.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Louis R   » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:03 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

I'm not Toni [obviously], but I've seen how she operates - which is pretty similar to how Jim operated, actually.

The free stories are promotional pieces in the vein of the old CDs, so there's a good chance that Baen's attitude would be "you want to do our work for us, for free? fill your boots!", _provided_ there's no suggestion of money changing hands or other advantage accruing to the distributor. That said, however, those stories still belong to the authors. Who can and do resell them. Some would share Toni's attitude, others would be quite hostile to any reworking. I would not share, or even format shift, any copy not obtained via the Free Library - if it's there, it's because the author allows it to be, under the Library's terms of use.

Duckk wrote:I'd err on the side of caution and not distribute it.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:15 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
roseandheather wrote:I certainly hope so, as I would very much love to put "Dark Fall" on my ereader as well.

Import html into word. Save as rtf. Kindle app will read fine.

It would probably look better on an ereader screen if you stripped out all the webpage's top and bottom banners and menus - though at least the save to rft should ditch the 50%+ of the html page that was the menu scripting.

Maybe I should have dumped it through rtf before making my personal ebook copy. :D Ah well.
Post by kzt   » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:49 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:It would probably look better on an ereader screen if you stripped out all the webpage's top and bottom banners and menus - though at least the save to rft should ditch the 50%+ of the html page that was the menu scripting.

Maybe I should have dumped it through rtf before making my personal ebook copy. :D Ah well.

Well, yeah. Select and delete. The colors and stuff like that won’t make it once you save it as Rtf and reopen.

Return to Honorverse