Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 40 guests

(Spoiler!) What's Next for the Honorverse?(Spoiler Warning!)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: (Spoiler!) What's Next for the Honorverse?(Spoiler Warni
Post by Theemile   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:10 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
dscott8 wrote:I suspect that the Solly "Ghost Hunters" will hook up with Zilwicki/Cachat to track down the "Other Guys". As a former Quartermaster Officer, I suspect that inquiring into sales of the machine tools and basic supplies needed to build ships could lead to whoever's building spider-drive craft.

At some point, when they locate the Detweilers' secret hideaway, it will be time to call Honor out of her cozy family retirement and ask he if she'd like to kick ass on the people who planned Oyster Bay.

Darius has been around for some time. They could have built their own tools. I agree that finding purchases or shipments that go no where will be a good tactic. It will be like finding needles in a haystack, but still offers a better chance than doing nothing.

As for Honor, She will stay with her children until they get school age. Then she will take over Saganami Island. Working with all those youngsters will do her a world of good, while still shaping the RMN is fundamental ways. I can see her pushing for the admission of Havenite cadets and ensuring their successful integration into an increasingly unified GA navy.

Its the perfect job for her. She can go home after work and see her family. Hamish will work late hours, but she can see her kids and experience domestic felicity. She can take summers and the odd sabbatical off to visit her Steading on Grayson. Heck, I can see her also getting those cadets more accustomed to working with treecats in an increased capacity. She will provide treecats with options moving forward. Sam's and Nimitz' kits will help that first "class" of treecats. Sam will be essential in designing the curriculum.

Oooooh! Memory singers teaching at Saganami Island. Treecats screening for and treating psychological issues that will cause problems in RMN/GSN/RHN service. Getting rid of the worst Elvis Santinos from gaining purchase in the RMN. those with tendencies will have their records denoted that way.

I believe it was mentioned in HoS that the Graysons were planning on starting their Military finishing school back up. I can see Honor running it, running a class, or being a guest lecturer at some point.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:23 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
I believe it was mentioned in HoS that the Graysons were planning on starting their Military finishing school back up. I can see Honor running it, running a class, or being a guest lecturer at some point.

So, she teaches and consults in both academies. Better if she is the nominal commander of both the Grayson Naval Academy and Saganami Island, since she will be traveling to both places anyway. Spending half the term in each location sounds doable. I can see Mercedies being the XO in Grayson to begin with and then cycling in different XOs every 2 years. The same thing for Saganami Island.
Post by ywing14   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:17 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I've believe Honor will be taking a few years off. Maybe until at least all the kids are teenagers. She doesn't need the money. Mostly I see her sitting at home and writing in to the occasional magazine or doing some consultant work. She's made it clear she's going to put family first for a while. Running an academy would woefully defeat that purpose.
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:35 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

She'll be bored as hades when the kinds are in school. All three will be within 3 years of each other. Once the youngest enters school full time at age 6-7, she'll be twiddling her thumbs. She needs an occupation for when her children are NOT around but does not demand her times at odd hours. Running a school pretty much defines predictable working hours that match those of school aged children. Add the fact she loves doing it and it's a slam dunk.
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:51 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:She'll be bored as hades when the kinds are in school. All three will be within 3 years of each other. Once the youngest enters school full time at age 6-7, she'll be twiddling her thumbs. She needs an occupation for when her children are NOT around but does not demand her times at odd hours. Running a school pretty much defines predictable working hours that match those of school aged children. Add the fact she loves doing it and it's a slam dunk.

And, let's see, she's also a Grayson Steadholder, running her property and people. And a duchess in Manticore. And a member of the legislatures on both planets.

She'll have LOADS of free time.
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:32 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
PeterZ wrote:She'll be bored as hades when the kinds are in school. All three will be within 3 years of each other. Once the youngest enters school full time at age 6-7, she'll be twiddling her thumbs. She needs an occupation for when her children are NOT around but does not demand her times at odd hours. Running a school pretty much defines predictable working hours that match those of school aged children. Add the fact she loves doing it and it's a slam dunk.

And, let's see, she's also a Grayson Steadholder, running her property and people. And a duchess in Manticore. And a member of the legislatures on both planets.

She'll have LOADS of free time.

Indeed. However, those other demands do not recharge her as teaching does. She will be doing all those things when her kids aren't occupying her time. Teaching and helping those youngsters mature will keep her feeling fullfilled in addition to her kids.
Post by ywing14   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:57 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I am not so sure. Honor's lost so much. I don't feel she'll be in a rush to get back. I think 10-15 years would give her a lot more time to reflect and allow the kids to grow.
Post by BrightSoul   » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:08 am

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

By the time we rejoin the story Cachat will be Director of FIS. At least that's what Usher was thinking. Now wether or not he decides to move to torch and get married might derail that plan.
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:57 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

ywing14 wrote:I am not so sure. Honor's lost so much. I don't feel she'll be in a rush to get back. I think 10-15 years would give her a lot more time to reflect and allow the kids to grow.

I can't see Honor as a "soccer mom."

I can definitely see her dividing her time between Harrington Stedding, Harrington Duchy, and Harrington House's admin and consular sections. That's still going to leave her bored to tears, even with White Haven added to the mix.

It is possible that for security reasons, The Alexander-Harrington might be "home schooled" in a "home" that spans three or four (or more) planets while they travel with their mom and or dad on diplomatic and business trips.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by pappilon   » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:14 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:I can't see Honor as a "soccer mom."

I can definitely see her dividing her time between Harrington Stedding, Harrington Duchy, and Harrington House's admin and consular sections. That's still going to leave her bored to tears, even with White Haven added to the mix.

It is possible that for security reasons, The Alexander-Harrington might be "home schooled" in a "home" that spans three or four (or more) planets while they travel with their mom and or dad on diplomatic and business trips.

Yeah, what Klaus Hauptmann figured out way back in Honor Among Enemies, and what Elizabeth said. When she realizes the military part of the alliance is failing because no one else can hold all three sides together and she sees it as her duty to both of her worlds to step back in, she will, because it is the way she is put together.

Closest Honor can get to soccer mom is her baseball team.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Honorverse